Are you an inspirational leader committed to health care equity for underserved communities? Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHNF) is seeking a highly strategic Vice-President, Philanthropy to direct all aspects of the Foundation’s major gifts, planned giving and donor stewardship activities and work in partnership with the Foundation CEO to drive the $100M Campaign. The Vice-President will be a key member of our Foundation senior leadership team and will play a lead role in the overall direction of the Foundation.
Closing: January 22, 2022
Salary Range: The target salary range for this role is $140,000 to $170,000.
To apply: Samantha David, Senior Search Consultant by email at SHNF@kcitalent.com
Located in one of the most ethnically diverse communities in the world, Scarborough Health Network includes three hospitals with multiple satellite sites. A full-service hospital network, SHN is on its way to becoming Canada’s leading community teaching hospital. With renowned programs and services, SHN is also an excellent training setting for healthcare professionals and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other educational institutions.
Reporting to the President & CEO of the Foundation and leading a high-performing and growing team of eight, the Vice-President will be responsible for revenue targets that are central to SHNF’s overall success. A visionary and a doer, the ideal candidate will employ a fresh perspective to reposition the Philanthropy department by coaching and developing staff and volunteers, building efficiencies and uncovering opportunities for growth, while driving major gift and campaign revenue to meet accelerated targets. With the $100M campaign almost 60% complete, the Vice-President will also look towards future campaign opportunities.
Driven by a passion for the unique value proposition of SHN and by the strength and resilience of the Scarborough community, the successful candidate will be an exceptional fundraiser who will build authentic internal and external relationships that will increase the engagement of donors, prospects, staff, volunteers and other key stakeholders. A natural champion and brand ambassador who is committed to social justice, the new Vice-President will effortlessly communicate SHN’s vision and need for philanthropic support to broaden our base of donors and provide our community with equitable resources and health care.
As the third largest community health network in Ontario, it’s our goal at the Foundation to match the level of ambition demonstrated by our hospital network. Currently raising $14M in cash and $18M+ in pledges annually, our new Vice-President will join a team that is taking SHNF to the next level of growth and positioning it on par with our hospital peers in the GTA.
An experienced leader of people and projects who is independent and outcome focussed, the Vice-President will work mainly at our office located at the Scarborough General site, with some flexibility to work at their home office.
ABOUT SCARBOROUGH HEALTH NETWORK
Scarborough Health Network was created through a merger of The Scarborough Hospital’s Birchmount and General hospitals and Rouge Valley Health System’s Centenary hospital in December 2016. Working with many community and government partners, patients, staff, physicians, volunteers, and donors, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is transforming patient care and outcomes today and charting a new course to create a healthier tomorrow.
As the third largest community health network in Ontario, SHN programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. Across the three hospitals and eight satellite sites, SHN employs some of our generation’s best physicians, nurses and medical professionals. These teams are delivering exceptional clinical expertise and techniques to treat Scarborough’s patients and families effectively, inclusively and with compassion.
SHN is home to Ontario’s largest nephrology program and operates the fourth largest maternal and newborn program in the province. We deliver North America’s largest regional community-based cardiovascular rehabilitation program and are the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. SHN is also home to a state-of-the-art Eye Centre specializing in glaucoma and cataract surgeries, and currently operates the second-largest community-based mental health and addiction program in Ontario, with over 10,000 referrals to our outpatient programs each year.
SHN is a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto, and a partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals.
In 2018, SHN created a new strategic plan to achieve its Vision of becoming Canada’s leading community teaching health network – transforming your health experience. The 2018-2023 Strategic Plan places a strong focus on teaching and research to provide the very best care, train the next generation of health care professionals, and foster a culture that celebrates our team’s ideas and creativity.
- Build Our Culture to Empower and Inspire Our People
- Improve Population Health, Health Equity, and System Integration
- Transform the Patient Experience through Innovation, Education and Research
- Set a New Standard for Exceptional Quality and Patient Safety
Programs and Services
SHN is committed to providing exceptional care with access to core services such as emergency departments, laboratories, medical imaging, and pharmacy. They offer specialized programs across three hospitals, including:
- Cancer Care
- Cardiac Care
- Diabetes Education
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Emergency Care
- Maternal Care
- Mental Health Care
- Nephrology and Dialysis
- Palliative Care
- Seniors Health
ABOUT SCARBOROUGH HEALTH NETWORK FOUNDATION
Scarborough Health Network Foundation inspires the support necessary to improve patients’ lives through exceptional care at Scarborough Health Network. The Foundation works with generous donors, volunteers, and community members to support the Scarborough Health Network’s vision to be Canada’s leading community teaching health network. Currently raising $14M+ in cash and $18M+ in pledges annually, the Foundation is developing an ambitious plan to increase its presence in the hospital and the community and grow its base of support through its $100M major fundraising campaign.
Transformational Fundraising Campaign
The Foundation has embarked on an ambitious fundraising campaign dedicated to building the health care infrastructure that Scarborough needs and deserves. The first phase of the multi-year campaign is focused on raising $100 million for four transformative initiatives:
- Medical Imaging & Vascular Centre at the General hospital to bring all diagnostic imaging services into one location for efficient, patient-focused delivery.
- The Bridletowne Neighbourhood Centre, a community hub for dialysis treatment, diabetes education, and chronic disease management.
- New and larger Emergency Departments at Centenary and Birchmount hospitals to continue care for the growing community.
- Create a community-based mental health hub in central Scarborough that is inclusive, accessible and efficient.
- Transforming care in areas such as cardiac and seniors care.
- State-of-the-art medical equipment across all hospitals.
With the recruitment of a Campaign Chair, Honorary Chairs, and a Campaign Cabinet, SHN Foundation has built a strong team that will engage not only the Scarborough community, but also downtown business leaders and prominent GTA philanthropists. Working with the Campaign Chair and key partners, SHN Foundation is developing the creative approach and marketing positioning for the Campaign that will have a multiplier effect across Annual Giving and Community Development.
Mass Media Marketing Campaign
SHN Foundation is embarking on an exciting journey to raise the profile of the Scarborough hospitals. For the first time ever in SHN’s history, SHN Foundation is presenting a mass media marketing campaign that will launch in January 2022.
The marketing campaign will be an open letter to Toronto, shedding light on the health care challenges in Scarborough and encouraging people in Scarborough and across the GTA to “back us up” by donating. The campaign will feature 26 Scarborough community members, business leaders, SHN physicians, patients and donors, and their stories.
The marketing campaign will be featured on TV, outdoor signage, radio, at the movie theatres and online and will ask our neighbours to donate to Scarborough Health Network. The message will be amplified on the Foundation website and through social media and incorporated into SHN Foundation collateral and fundraising initiatives.
The marketing creative was developed through an in-kind partnership with a major ad agency and made possible through substantial media donations. Nothing like this has ever been done for SHN before and the Foundation is excited about its potential to raise the profile of SHN, communicate the impact of donations, and support the $100 million fundraising campaign as well as annual and community initiatives.
- SHN Foundation Youtube Channel
- Scarborough Health Network
- Scarborough Health Network Foundation
- SHN Foundation Events
- SHN Foundation 2021 Financial Statements
- SHNF 2020/2021 Annual Report
- SHN COVID-19 Response
- SNHF 2020 Impact Report
- SHN Foundation News
- SHN Foundation Board of Directors
- Ways To Give
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Planning
- Work collaboratively with the CEO and senior leadership team, helping to drive the overall Foundation strategy, planning and culture while achieving annual and campaign objectives.
- Develop the departmental business plan that includes the creation and implementation of strategies and tactics that position the Philanthropy portfolio for exponential growth in alignment with the Foundation’s strategic objectives.
- Work in partnership with the President & CEO to actively advance the $100M campaign, at times taking the lead on key activities related to campaign planning, volunteer management and prospect and donor development.
- Lead the ongoing planning and development of future fundraising campaigns.
- Direct and manage the campaign and major gift budget process, working with the Associate Vice-President, Finance to ensure accurate forecasting and monitoring.
- Evaluate current department policies, processes and structure, using this information to create new infrastructure that builds rigor and increases overall efficiency and accountability, while enhancing overall performance and revenue growth.
- Act as an ambassador for SHN Foundation both internally with the hospital and externally throughout the community, building relationships in a strategic manner that contribute to a culture of giving and support for SHN.
- Model leadership and fundraising excellence, employing a high level of professionalism and using best practice methodology to develop and lead the major gift portfolio.
Major Gift Fundraising
- Proactive leadership of the Campaign and Major Gift portfolios including the integration of the campaign, major gift, annual giving and stewardship programs.
- Achieve departmental goal of $18M+ in pledges and $11M+ in revenue while also directly managing a portfolio of major donors at the six and seven figure level to meet annual financial targets.
- Ensure the major gift, planned giving and stewardship teams are effectively engaging and stewarding donor relationships and gifts in support of enhanced donor engagement and satisfaction with the Foundation and Hospital.
- Collaborate with the Director, Marketing & Communications (and team) to create compelling donor communications that are aligned with SHNF messaging and builds engagement with donors and prospects.
- Act as a champion for the Foundation and communicate with various stakeholders ensuring they understand SHN’s vision and need for philanthropic support.
- Oversee the prospect development strategy for the Campaign and major gifts program.
- Develop an internal physician leadership giving plan and execution strategy.
- Build the culture of philanthropy by developing relationships with Hospital colleagues (leadership, physicians, staff), including these key stakeholders as part of the overall campaign strategy and fostering grateful patient referrals.
- Work collaboratively with Foundation colleagues to identify and support strategic opportunities to cultivate and steward fundraising support across various revenue streams in an integrated manner.
Staff & Volunteer Leadership
- Manage and develop a team of campaign, major gifts, planned giving and donor stewardship staff including four direct reports in compliance with Scarborough Health Network Foundation policies.
- Evaluate staffing needs and resources on an ongoing basis to support plans for department and Foundation growth.
- Build an inspiring team culture through coaching staff to maximize individual strengths and explore areas for ongoing development in a manner that supports performance excellence.
- Develop individual and team goals and performance targets with measurable outcomes that are assessed on a regular basis.
- Assess current priorities, workload, and resources on an ongoing basis and establish an action plan ensuring that immediate needs are met while longer-term strategies, plans and actions are developed.
- Work in partnership with the President & CEO and Special Advisor, play a leadership role with Campaign volunteers on the Campaign Cabinet, and directly lead the Campaign committees of the Board.
- Assist in the recruitment, orientation and ongoing support of the board, campaign and other senior volunteers ensuring they are able to successfully complete donor related activities that support the fundraising needs of SHN.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Progressive leadership in senior fundraising roles with proven experience developing and executing a major gift fundraising program within a complex environment.
- Passion for healthcare philanthropy, the mission of SHN and the communities we serve with a strong desire to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community.
- Proven track record in all aspects of revenue development, including pipeline development and the solicitation and management of gifts at the six and seven figure level and above.
- Significant experience building fundraising infrastructure including policies, processes and KPIs that contribute to revenue growth.
- Proven history managing successful teams and motivating staff to meet fundraising goals.
- Experience recruiting, and supporting senior volunteers directly involved in major gift cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Demonstrated success engaging with senior volunteers, and non-fundraising staff to advance philanthropic goals.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to inspire diverse audiences and encourage greater engagement amongst key internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of trends in the philanthropic sector with the ability to use and share this knowledge in a manner that inspires innovation and advances day to day and longer-term department goals and activities.
- Proven relationship building skills with the ability to build trusting relationships with prospects, donors, volunteers, colleagues, hospital staff and the community.
- Demonstrated understanding of donor and volunteer management with the comfort level and ability to work with high value philanthropists, community leaders, and business executives.
- Strong influencing and collaboration skills.
- Proven ability to successfully work cross-functionally within a team environment to complete projects and meet targets.
- Proficiency in constituent relationship management (CRM) tools and software. Experience with Raiser’s Edge a definite asset.
- Superior planning, organization, and time management skills.
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) designation or working towards designation considered an asset.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- A valid driver’s license and use of a car, to travel to donor and other related meetings and between hospital sites.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent is pleased to conduct this search on behalf of Scarborough Health Network Foundation. For more information about this Foundation leadership opportunity, please contact Samantha David, Senior Search Consultant by email at SHNF@kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by January 21, 2022.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
The target salary range for this role is $140,000 to $170,000. We also offer an industry leading pension plan (HOOPP), and an excellent benefits package. A generous performance-based bonus is also available to the successful candidate.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to strengthen and promote health protection to patients, staff and members of the public attending in the hospital, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination from the Ontario Ministry of Health website or other authorized source. Proof of vaccination will be required to commence employment with Scarborough Health Network Foundation.
Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHN Foundation) embraces and celebrates our community′s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.