The Vice President, Marketing and Communications is the chief brand steward and chief storyteller, with responsibility for all content produced by The Foundation. With primary responsibility for planning, developing and executing all integrated marketing programs including, but not limited to content production, and the direct response portfolio along with growing associated program revenues.
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President, Marketing and Communications is a member of the senior management team and contributes to The Foundation’s overall strategic direction. The Vice President, Marketing and Communications provides critical support and insight in the development of The Foundation’s strategic plan and annual operating plan, while being responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating the annual strategic marketing and communications plan.
Salary Range: $140,000 – $160,000
Posted On: February 1, 2023
Closing On: February 28, 2023
Location: 1 King Street West, Suite 702 Hamilton Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Effective: ASAP or when able
Salary Range: $140,000 – $160,000
Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation provides vital funding to enable the best possible patient care. We inspire and motivate gifts that fund medical equipment and patient amenities, innovative research initiatives, essential redevelopment of clinical care spaces, and the education and training of health care providers.
As a registered charitable organization, we proudly support patients and families across south-central Ontario, and from outside the region, who receive specialized care at Hamilton Health Sciences including Hamilton General Hospital, Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital, and St. Peter’s Hospital. The associated programs at the Regional Rehabilitation Centre, McMaster University Medical Centre and Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre are also included. The Foundation is committed to the Donor Bill of Rights and to being a donor-centered organization. Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation is committed to protecting the privacy of our donors and prospects. We are proud to have been an early adopter of the Imagine Canada accreditation program.
This is an exciting time to join Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation as we build upon a strong foundation of our Culture Code that includes the values of respect, impactful and inspiring. We believe that relationships and partnerships are the basis of excellence in fundraising and have a vision to see a community of inspired and committed donors who embrace It’s Vital to Care. Every position in The Foundation contributes to a safe, inclusive environment for all through compliance with The Foundation’s equity, diversity and inclusion philosophy and patient and staff safety policies and procedures.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
As the chief brand steward, this individual is responsible for bringing our brand to life. Management of organizational voice and representation of brand through all channels is a critical part of this role at both the strategic and tactical level.
As the chief storyteller, the Vice President, Marketing and Communications is responsible for all publicly consumed content generated by The Foundation. The development of meaningful, relevant and inspired content is fundamental to this position and team. Content is meant to build awareness, audience and revenue. This involves strategically identifying and developing content for use across all marketing channels while also supporting the needs of the fundraising teams.
Content marketing accountabilities include:
- Evolve and execute the annual content calendar with the intent of providing a meaningful and engaging donor and donor prospect experience
- Use data insights and analytics to effectively target messages and content appropriately
- Strategic management of all channels including but not limited to: website (platform and content management), social media (platform and content management), print and digital
- Lead and manage media relations associated with all fundraising and Foundation-related initiatives
- Engage with individuals and teams across Hamilton Health Sciences to identify patient stories and content to be used to bring the need and impact of donor dollars to life
- Develop and oversee all forms of content development including but not limited to written, video and photography to support the brand, expand awareness, stimulate revenue and support the development teams
- Specific responsibility including but not limited to: annual donor report, print and digital newsletters, website, direct response and all social channels
- Responsible for the production of the Foundation’s Annual Donor Report and ensuring that our website (amongst other channels) demonstrates the impact of donor investment
- Develop and provide marketing messages and content in support of all fundraising campaigns
- Prepare a range of reports in support of the Chief Executive Officer, including but not limited to board reports, stewardship reports, annual and strategic plan, and campaign reports
Revenue Generation and Diversification:
This position has direct revenue responsibility for the following programs and will provide oversight and strategic advice to the program lead.
50/50 Community Inspiration Lottery
- Manage the marketing of the lottery to maximize the net contribution to The Foundation’s mission
- Manage the set-up and execution of the lottery based on appropriate schedules
- Manage vendor relationships and collaborate with Corporate Services Team on licensing and reporting to the AGCO
Direct response program – The direct response program includes all direct mail/email solicitations; in honour and in memorial giving; and a dedicated call centre.
- Achieve annual fundraising goal through the direct response program
- Develop, implement and manage direct response donor strategies from acquisition to retention and stewardship
- Manage relationship with external vendor to plan, develop and oversee the execution of a series of mailings throughout the calendar year
- Report on and analyze program metrics, using data and insights to innovate and integrate to grow revenue across both print and digital channels
Team Leadership/Senior Management Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership, coaching and skill development to a team of 6, plus 3 call centre representatives, in a positive, motivational and collaborative environment
- Develop and maintain a high functioning team and continually assess structure, allocation of responsibility and process for optimal efficiency and work flow
- Develop and build collaborative relationships with internal and external colleagues and partners
- Provide critical insight to the strategic, operational, culture and human resource planning.
- Provide critical support and insight to support the development of The Foundation’s strategic plan and annual operating plan
- Develop, implement and evaluate the annual strategic marketing and communications plan and budget.
- Actively participate in Foundation board meetings, senior management and management meetings
- Prepare a range of reports in support of the Chief Executive Officer, including but not limited to board, stewardship and campaign reports, annual and strategic plans and corporate communications/critical correspondence.
Collaboration with HHS:
As the primary liaison to the Public Affairs and Communications team at Hamilton Health Sciences, this role works collaboratively on issues management, HHS employee engagement in support of HHSF, media relations and campaign messaging. Further collaboration involves sharing and amplifying content as appropriate.
Children’s Miracle Network/Canada’s Children’s Hospital Foundations (CMN/CCHF)
Provide strategic insight and tactical support for all programs associated with CMN/CCHF in support of McMaster Children’s Hospital.
Accountability: Direct: Chief Executive Officer
- HHSF Leadership & Staff Teams
- Foundation Board of Directors & Community Volunteers
- HHS Public Affairs and Communications team
- Hospital Staff & Physician Leadership
- External agency and vendor relationships
- A University Degree or equivalent in relevant field (business administration, business management marketing, communications, media, public affairs, hospital administration, etc.)
- 10 years progressive relevant experience at a leadership level, preferably within the not for profit sector, hospital foundation, or health related organization.
- Working experience in both a corporate and not-for-profit environment is an asset.
- Someone who sees the big picture, can think strategically while also being responsible for tactical execution.
- A proven track record of implementing innovative marketing and communications plans.
- An innovator and strategist with the ability to conceptualize and execute plans for desired results.
- Demonstrated success implementing digital strategies that considers emerging trends and use of relevant data sets for a non-profit organization.
- Understanding of, and experience with, using data analytics and insights in the execution of marketing programs.
- A proven track record in building beneficial partnerships internally and externally.
- Strong relationship building skills including the ability to work within a matrix management structure; while also successfully engaging a wide range of stakeholders in support of organizational objectives.
- Strong project management, problem solving, organizational and prioritizing skills to plan and coordinate departmental and program initiatives.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Caring, highly effective people leadership skills with demonstrated employee coaching, mentorship and development skills.
- Acts as a role model to staff and others, demonstrating the highest standards of professionalism, confidentiality and sensitivity.
- Experience with developing and managing a budget with accountability for a departmental expenses and revenue accountability.
- Goal-oriented, motivated by our mission, vision and values.
- Location of work is 1 King St. West, Hamilton ON and the Foundation will follow all public health guidelines with respect to COVID-19. Remote and Flex may be accommodated after three months of employment based on approval of VP.
Working Conditions and Mandatory Requirements:
- Travel is required; the incumbent must possess a valid driver’s license and have use of a reliable vehicle as the position will visit various locations such as Hamilton Health Science sites, corporate partner locations, patient locations, and special event’s, etc.
- The nature of the work is such that minimal evening and some weekend work is required to attend events where needed.
- Proof of full COVID vaccination is mandatory for employment with Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation in accordance with Hamilton Health Sciences policy.
- The annual hiring range for this position is between $140,000-160,000, commensurate with experience. HHSF provides a competitive benefit package and pension plan (HOOPP).
How to Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter to HHSFcareers@hhsc.ca by February 28th, 2023 with the job title in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as received. We would like to thank all who apply, but only those selected to move forward will be contacted.
The Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion within HHSF reflects a belief that we will make the greatest impact to our mission when everyone can genuinely and fully participate without barriers or exclusion. We are dedicated to creating a workplace reflective of the community we live, work and serve and welcome applications from diverse and equity-deserving groups.
The Foundation is committed to providing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Accommodation, if requested, will be provided throughout the recruitment process in accordance with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should any candidate require accommodation in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact Heather Slye (905.521.2100 x 44624 or HHSFcareers@hhsc.ca) for assistance.