A strategic thought-leader and collaborative member of the Foundation’s Executive Team, the Vice-President plays a pivotal role in implementing the strategic vision of the Foundation, ensuring its financial viability and stability and the integrity of its processes and systems. The Vice-President also helps to motivate and inspire a team of foundation professionals.
Posted On: 2021-08-04
Closing On: 2021-09-08
Location: Hamilton, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reports to: President & CEO, St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation (Hamilton)/CEO, St. Joseph’s Health Centre Foundation (Guelph)
About St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation: At St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation, we’re dedicated to raising funds to support the highest priority needs of St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton – an academic health sciences centre committed to exceptional patient care, research and the education and training of healthcare professionals.
A leader in healthcare philanthropy in our region, St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation is accredited through Imagine Canada’s Standards Program which recognizes excellence in fundraising, financial accountability and transparency, governance, volunteer involvement and staff management.
As a Foundation team, we work closely with grateful patients, individuals, corporations and foundations, healthcare professionals and research teams at the Hospital to raise and steward funds for vital equipment needs, to help renovate patient care areas at the Hospital, and fund research studies that will inform the future of care.
We are recruiting a Vice-President, Finance and Administration to join our team of dedicated, caring and mission-focused professionals who are committed to working together to empower healthcare in our community and are proud to support St. Joseph’s inspiring mission of Hope, Healing and Discovery.
ROLE DESCRIPTION: Vice-President, Finance and Administration
The Vice-President, Finance and Administration is a vital member of the leadership team at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation and a key support to the President & CEO and Board of Directors. A strategic thought-leader and collaborative member of the Foundation’s Executive Team, the Vice-President plays a pivotal role in implementing the strategic vision of the Foundation, ensuring its financial viability and stability and the integrity of its processes and systems. The Vice-President also helps to motivate and inspire a team of foundation professionals.
The Vice-President, Finance and Administration is responsible primarily for (but not limited to):
• Leading the accounting, finance, grants administration, investments, human resources, policy development, and risk management functions for St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation, Hamilton.
• Providing strategic direction and oversight to the Database, Donor Services, and Annual Giving team.
• Managing the accounting, finance, grants administration and investment functions of our Sister Foundation, St. Joseph’s Health Centre Foundation Guelph.
• Leads the development and strategy of the Foundations’ annual operational budgets.
• In collaboration with external auditors, leads the annual audit processes.
• Serves as primary liaison with hospital and health centre staff on matters of grants, financial obligations, and cash flow management of funded projects.
• Oversees the investment portfolio (currently $40 million), ensuring adherence to Board-approved policies, reconciliation of investment manager source reports to internal financial statements, provides regular reporting to the Board through the Finance and Investment Committees and manages relationship with external investment managers.
• Leads the preparation of monthly and yearly financial statements with analysis and ensures the monthly reconciliation of general ledger revenue accounts between Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge databases.
• Oversees the Foundation’s capital asset management and administration of Foundation’s endowed funds.
• Responsible for regular monitoring and analysis of financial performance, including cash flow projections, external benchmarking, long-range forecasts and related analyses, and the establishment and maintenance of an effective internal control system.
• Liaises with Hospital/Health Centre payroll departments and reconciles salary, benefit reports with general ledgers.
• Oversees licensing, budgets and administration of gaming activities.
• Builds external relationships with comparator organizations to enable regular organizational performance benchmarking.
• Regularly conducts comprehensive financial analysis to inform leadership planning and decision-making.
• Supports and guides the work of the Finance and Investment Committees of the Board and oversees all documentation for meetings and work of these Committees.
• Primary responsibility for Foundations’ relationship with banks, investment managers, lawyers and the CRA.
Oversight of Database, Donor Services, and Annual Giving Portfolio:
• Provides strategic direction and oversight to the Database, Donor Services and Annual Giving team.
• Supports the Director, Database, Donor Services and Annual Giving in managing the team and meeting their annual individual, departmental and Foundation goals.
• Works with the Director to ensure the integrity and functionality of Raiser’s Edge and Financial Edge, supports the negotiation of annual service agreements and the information management strategy, as well as the integration of fundraising strategies.
Operational and Strategic Leadership:
• Responsible for identifying policy gaps and initiating policy development and improvement.
• Responsible for the design and management of internal Foundation processes to ensure optimum streamlining of operations and adherence to best practices.
• Provides leadership and workflow management to the finance and administrative teams.
• Assists other Foundation executive team members with budgetary, administrative and process matters.
• Oversees other office operation and administrative duties (i.e. facilities management).
Human Resources and Talent Management:
• Coaches, mentors and evaluates the members of the Finance and Administration team which consists of a Manager of Finance and Finance Officer.
• Supervises, coaches, and evaluates the Director, Database, Donor Services and Annual Giving, who manages a team of three professionals.
• Manages the Foundation’s human resources (HR) function, including tracking of payroll changes, salary range determination, recruitment processes, performance evaluation process and acts as a key liaison with the Hospital’s HR function.
• Annually recommends policy direction to CEO for compensation.
• As a senior leader, assists with mentorship and professional development of foundation staff.
Stewardship of Funds:
• Oversees annual allocations and funding process to support hospital/health centre priority needs.
• Serves as key liaison with the hospital/health centre finance leaders on allocation of funds to specific projects/key initiatives.
• Supports the stewardship of donor relationships by providing financial information and reports to staff.
• Ensures accurate tracking and reporting for all foundation funds.
• Ensures the Foundation is current in all reporting and receipting requirements to government bodies/agencies (CRA, income tax act, etc.) and other parties.
• Remains abreast of requirements and policies under privacy (PHIPA-Ontario); (PIPEDA-Federal); the Income Tax Act, Ontario Corporations Act, Trustee Act and CRA policy.
• Responsible for annual statutory reporting such as T3010; HST, remittance of all payroll withholdings, and proper preparation/filing of annual T4s and T4As.
• Responsible for design and establishment of internal financial controls for audit, legal and internal policy compliance.
• Ensures Foundation processes and practices are compliant with the Imagine Canada’s Standards Program and supports the recertification and compliance reporting.
The successful candidate will have 7-10+ years experience in senior level finance and operations roles, a CPA designation and meaningful experience in executive and board level reporting. Adept at managing teams, the successful candidate will have a track record of success in working as a member of a management/executive team and working collaboratively to meet organizational goals. Dedicated to the mission of our Foundation, the successful candidate will possess strong leadership, maturity, and high integrity with a commitment to handling information ethically, accurately, and confidentially.
• University degree in business management or related discipline and a CPA designation.
• Strong competencies in accounting and financial planning, forecasting, analysis, implementation, controls, scenario planning and financial statements development.
• Demonstrated business management skills and proficiencies in policy development, process improvement, administration, and operations.
• Proven human resources management experience.
• Strong oral, written communication and presentation skills.
• Strong computer skills including advanced capabilities with accounting and database software programs.
• Proven leadership competencies and the ability to lead, coach and mentor staff.
• Experience in overseeing institutional investment portfolios and policies.
• Understanding of the charitable sector and healthcare or healthcare philanthropy.
• Understanding of fundraising, donor stewardship, donor database systems and management.
• Experience with Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge systems (Blackbaud software suite).
Salary Range: The target hiring salary for this role is $130,000 – $150,000 annually plus pension and a full range of benefits
How to Apply: Interested candidates may submit a resume/CV and cover letter to the attention of Sarah Hedden, Executive Assistant to the President & CEO via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please cite Vice-President, Finance and Administration in the subject line of your email. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in working with St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation.
Deadline for applications is Wednesday, September 8, 2021 at 4 pm.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We aim to reduce barriers and support accessibility and as such, we will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code.About St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation:
caring and mission-focused professionals who are committed to working together to empower healthcare in our community and are proud to support St. Joseph’s inspiring mission of Hope, Healing and Discovery.