Scarborough Health Network (SHN) Foundation is seeking a Vice President, Community Development and Partnerships to lead the Foundation’s strategy, management and delivery of community-based fundraising initiatives to generate revenue, build organizational profile, and engage and grow community support for the Foundation.
The Vice President, Community Development and Partnerships reports to the President & CEO of Scarborough Health Network Foundation and works closely with members of the Community Development Committee (of the Board), volunteer committees, and others in the community. The position has oversight and accountability for a $2M portfolio (and growing) of signature, P2P and third-party events, event sponsorships, and community fundraising activities such as point of sale appeals, cause marketing, lotteries, along with oversight and coaching of a staff team of four (and growing) who develop and execute these programs.
Salary Range: $150,000 – $170,000
Posted On: April 13, 2023
Closing On: May 28, 2023
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $150,000 – $170,000
The Foundation has ambitious goals for the Community Development program to grow its reach and impact. Community-based fundraising has the potential to raise upwards of $5M annually in primarily unrestricted revenue. On this front, the program is set to launch two new signature events that will elevate the program with new opportunities to engage our community.
As a key member of the senior leadership team, the Vice President, Community Development and Partnerships will be an important contributor to the overall strategic goals and achievements as the Foundation enters an exciting new phase of growth during our $200M campaign and charts a course for our future. The Vice President will work closely and collaboratively with other Foundation teams to ensure that potential mid-level, major and legacy prospects are identified, and that event participants, sponsors and attendees are integrated into stewardship and communication programs. Through the Community Development program, the Vice President will also be a key partner in building the brand and market position of Scarborough Health Network and SHN Foundation.
The Community Development team works out of our Centenary office, and maintains a presence across all of our three hospital sites. We have a hybrid working environment where employees are eligible to work remotely 1-2 days a week.
ABOUT SCARBOROUGH HEALTH NETWORK
Scarborough Health Network was created through a merger of The Scarborough Hospital’s Birchmount and General hospitals and Rouge Valley Health System’s Centenary hospital in December 2016. Working with many community and government partners, patients, staff, physicians, volunteers, and donors, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is transforming patient care and outcomes today and charting a new course to create a healthier tomorrow.
SHN programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. Across the three hospitals and eight satellite sites, SHN employs some of our generation’s best physicians, nurses and medical professionals. These teams are delivering exceptional clinical expertise and techniques to treat Scarborough’s patients and families effectively, inclusively and with compassion.
SHN is a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto, and a partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. In 2018, SHN created a strategic plan to achieve its Vision of becoming Canada’s leading community teaching health network – transforming your health experience. The 2018-2023 Strategic Plan places a strong focus on teaching and research to provide the very best care, train the next generation of health care professionals, and foster a culture that celebrates our team’s ideas and creativity.
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) has exciting plans underway for the future of our hospital buildings and facilities. This long-range work is part of our Master Planning initiative to ensure SHN services and facilities will meet Scarborough’s evolving needs into the future.
As we plan for our future facilities, we are considering:
- How Scarborough’s population and the number of patients using our hospitals will change over the next 20 years
- What hospital services and Centres of Excellence will be important to meet our community’s needs, and how should services be grouped
- The state of our existing SHN hospital buildings and the opportunities to renovate and upgrade to meet current and future needs
To support its redevelopment plans, the Government of Ontario has announced over $1 billion in new health infrastructure at SHN to build more capacity for Scarborough and surrounding communities. Phase 1 of the redevelopment plan advances the transformation of our Birchmount hospital, by making major renovations to the existing facility and building a new state-of-the-art inpatient tower with more than 200 new beds, 14 new operating rooms and additional space to support future growth. Once completed, Birchmount Hospital is planned to have over 450 beds, nearly doubling the current capacity.
- Build Our Culture to Empower and Inspire Our People
- Improve Population Health, Health Equity, and System Integration
- Transform the Patient Experience through Innovation, Education and Research
- Set a New Standard for Exceptional Quality and Patient Safety
PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
SHN is committed to providing exceptional care with access to core services such as emergency departments, laboratories, medical imaging, and pharmacy. They offer specialized programs across three hospitals, including:
THE LOVE SCARBOROUGH CAMPAIGN
In January 2022, SHN Foundation publicly launched the Love, Scarborough campaign. The campaign’s goal was to shed light on the healthcare inequities we face in Scarborough and encourage the rest of Toronto to back us up. The campaign gave Scarborough a voice and became a movement, mobilizing donors from Scarborough and beyond in support of our Scarborough hospitals.
Thanks to the generosity and belief of our community and donors, Love, Scarborough helped us raise our first $100 million. But it’s just the start. With a revised goal of $200 million, we are confident we can address even more critical needs and projects for our hospitals. Because after decades of being ignored, there is still much more catching up to do. Together with our community, we can build up our hospitals to a level equal to the incredible people who live and work here. Supporting urgent priorities like expanded emergency departments, centres of excellence, innovative mental health care, and modern diagnostic imaging, there are exciting things ahead for Scarborough Health Network.
We know the needs of our hospital network are great, so our fundraising campaign will evolve beyond the current $200 million goal to support the broader redevelopment plans, including the transformation of the Birchmount hospital.
ABOUT SCARBOROUGH HEALTH NETWORK FOUNDATION
Since its inception, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) Foundation has worked with generous donors, volunteers and community members to raise the funds needed to build state-of-the-art infrastructure and purchase the latest medical technology, supporting Scarborough Health Network’s vision to be Canada’s leading community teaching health network. The Foundation has developed an ambitious plan to increase its presence in the hospital and the community and grow its base of support through its major fundraising campaign. Our financial performance in 2022/23 reflects a growing organization, with organizational revenue of over $40M and production of nearly $90M.
The Foundation has recently embarked on the development of a strategic plan to support the growing needs and aspirations of SHN over the next five years. The development of our strategic plan will be guided by a Strategic Planning Committee of our Board, be developed in partnership with SHN leadership, and gather input from stakeholders.
From a gala to a golf tournament, each year SHN Foundation hosts a variety of events which raise much-needed funds for life-saving equipment and innovative patient care. These events are supported by devoted volunteers through event committees. Building on previous event successes and insight into current market trends and best practices, the Foundation has identified this as an area of opportunity and growth and is currently developing and implementing new, innovative signature events that will increase Foundation profile and engagement from across our Scarborough community.
The first of our new signature events is set to launch in June 2023. The inaugural Zoo Day: A Walk in the Wild for Scarborough Hospitals will take place on Sunday June 11, 2023. Families, friends, and corporate partners will gather at the Toronto Zoo for a fun-filled day in support of our three hospitals. Our walk in the wild will offer three distinct routes at varying levels of ability, each representing one SHN Hospital: Birchmount, Centenary and General. Our walk will focus on the journey and be fun and educational. Participants will be treated to an adventurous day, including exclusive animal encounters, activities and one big festival. After a day of exploring and socializing, participants will leave feeling empowered, educated, and most importantly, a vital part of our community. The upcoming event aims to raise a minimum gross revenue of $550K and net revenue of $250K through sponsorships and peer-to-peer fundraising. Learnings from this inaugural event will support future growth.
The second signature event is still in concept development, with working concepts exploring a few options. The Vice President will have the opportunity to guide the development and implementation of this event, and plan for its launch in 2024/25. The Vice President will have the opportunity to envision the entire Community Development portfolio and the resources required to support it, aligned with the growth aspirations of the Foundation.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
The Community Development Committee of the Board was defined in June 2020 as a new committee to support the Community Development Program. The Vice President, Community Development and Partnerships will work collaboratively with our senior volunteers, leveraging their connections and commitment to set the course for this committee to ambitiously take community giving to its next stage of growth.
Our volunteer committees are a means to engage our diverse community, grow the Foundation’s constituency of supporters, and foster community-based fundraising initiatives through events. The members use their community networks to bring awareness to the role of the community to support the hospital’s equipment and capital needs. Committees are engaged in developing and executing fundraising events and support the identification and solicitation of prospective major donors within the community.
- SHN Foundation Youtube Channel
- Scarborough Health Network
- Scarborough Health Network Foundation
- SHN Foundation Events
- Love, Scarborough
- SHN Foundation 2022 Financial Statements
- SHN and SHNF 2021/2022 Annual Report
- SHNF 2022 Gratitude Report
- SHN Foundation News
- SHN Foundation Staff and Board
- Ways To Give
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership and Planning
- Work collaboratively with the CEO and senior leadership team, helping to drive the overall Foundation strategy, planning and culture while achieving annual and campaign objectives.
- Define an ambitious future for community engagement and partnerships through the development of a vision, strategy and l business plan that position the Community Development & Partnerships portfolio for exponential growth in alignment with the Foundation’s strategic objectives.
- Prepare, implement, and monitor an annual plan and budget for the Community Development portfolio, working with the Vice-President, Finance to ensure accurate forecasting and monitoring.
- Evaluate current department policies, processes and structure, using this information to create new infrastructure that builds rigor and increases overall efficiency and accountability, while enhancing overall performance and revenue growth.
- Act as an ambassador for SHN Foundation both internally with the hospital and externally throughout the community, building relationships in a strategic manner that contribute to a culture of giving and support for SHN.
- Model leadership and fundraising excellence, employing a high level of professionalism and using best practice methodology to develop and lead the Community Development portfolio.
Community Giving & Events
- Develop and lead the Foundation’s community giving strategy encompassing the full range of community and signature fundraising events, activities and philanthropic councils, and supporting the achievement of the Foundation’s broader strategic goals.
- Work with the Director, Marketing & Communications to develop an annual marketing and communications plan for the Community Development portfolio in alignment with the Foundation’s overall communications plan, one that builds brand awareness and helps mobilize the large and diverse communities we serve.
- Develop and maintain a relevant and creative stewardship framework, in collaboration with the Stewardship team, for key volunteers, sponsors, donors, third party groups, and/or event participants.
- Create, implement and maintain a competitive sponsorship plan to support event fundraising strategies.
- Develop, implement and evaluate existing and new signature events that raise the profile of the Foundation and hospital while also increasing community support and engagement.
- Build and grow current and new third-party event revenue to support more effective fundraising and awareness-raising by these events. Promote the use of our peer-to-peer fundraising platform to the community.
- Ensure third-party and community events are run in a cost-effective manner while adhering to CRA guidelines and other regulatory requirements to maximize return on investment.
- Work closely and collaboratively with other Foundation teams to ensure that potential annual, monthly, mid-level, major gift, and planned gift prospects are identified, and that event participants and attendees are enrolled into the appropriate donor journey and communication programs.
- Establish, monitor, and maintain cost-per-dollar-raised targets, as well as non-financial goals, for each revenue stream and event.
- Ensure the team is accurately recording donor and prospect information into Raiser’s Edge.
- Coordinate with the Finance team to ensure that accurate and timely receipting processes are followed, and that volunteer leaders are kept informed with appropriate information and updates.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Foundation within the community, to communicate appreciation, need, and impact.
- Manage a staff team of four to work collaboratively with each other and across the Foundation while also demonstrating accountability and performance excellence.
- In developing business plans for new and/or expanded events, define future staffing needs and staff structure to support growth.
- Assess current team priorities, workload, and resources and build a department plan that supports immediate needs and develops longer-term growth strategies and actions.
- Develop individual and team goals and performance targets with measurable outcomes that are assessed on a regular basis.
- Ensure that Foundation policies and systems are implemented and followed by staff and volunteers.
- Model a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. Respect diverse cultures and opinions, encourage inclusive behaviour, and ensure that all staff and volunteers are treated in an equitable manner.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with hospital partners by leveraging community relationships and other department activities around hospital priorities.
- Lead the recruitment, motivation, engagement and succession planning for volunteer leaders for community-based fundraising.
- Build, coach and lead the Community Development Committee members to support growth objectives.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Progressive leadership in senior fundraising roles with proven experience developing and executing a community development fundraising program within a complex environment.
- Passion for healthcare philanthropy, the mission of SHN and the communities we serve with a strong desire to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community.
- Proven track record in all aspects of community fundraising, including signature events, P2P and third-party events, event sponsorships, and other community fundraising activities such as point of sale appeals, cause marketing, and lotteries.
- Significant experience building fundraising infrastructure including policies, processes and KPIs that contribute to revenue growth.
- Proven history managing successful teams and motivating staff to meet fundraising goals.
- Experience recruiting and supporting senior volunteers and demonstrated success engaging with volunteers, and non-fundraising staff to advance philanthropic goals.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to inspire diverse audiences and encourage greater engagement.
- Competent and engaging public speaker.
- Strong understanding of trends in the philanthropic sector with the ability to use and share this knowledge in a manner that inspires innovation and advances day to day and longer-term department goals and activities.
- Proven relationship building skills with the ability to build trusting relationships with prospects, donors, volunteers, colleagues, hospital staff and the community.
- Demonstrated understanding of donor and volunteer management with the comfort level and ability to work with a diverse group of stakeholders, volunteers, and board members.
- Strong influencing and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion with knowledge of and some familiarity with the diverse communities that live in our catchment area.
- Strong customer service skills, and the ability to effectively resolve conflict and negotiate win-win solutions.
- Proven ability to successfully work cross-functionally within a team environment to complete projects and meet targets.
- Superior planning, organization, and time management skills.
- Understanding and experience with multi-level, complex sponsorship transactions.
- Proficiency in constituent relationship management (CRM) tools and software. Experience with Raiser’s Edge a definite asset.
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) designation or working towards designation considered an asset.
- A personal and/or professional connection to the Scarborough community would be considered an asset.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- A valid driver’s license and use of a car, to travel to donor and other related meetings and between hospital sites.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent is pleased to conduct this search on behalf of Scarborough Health Network Foundation. For more information about this Foundation leadership opportunity, please contact Samantha David, Associate Vice President, by email at SHNF@kcitalent.com
To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest, to the email address listed above; all inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Please note interested candidates are encouraged to submit their resume and letter of interest as soon as possible as applicants will considered and interviewed on an ongoing basis.
To view full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
The target salary range for this role is $150,000 to $170,000. We also offer an industry leading pension plan (HOOPP), and an excellent benefits package. A performance-based bonus is also available to the successful candidate.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the need to strengthen and promote health protection to patients, staff and members of the public attending in the hospital, the successful candidate will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination from the Ontario Ministry of Health website or other authorized source. Proof of vaccination will be required to commence employment with Scarborough Health Network Foundation.
Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHN Foundation) embraces and celebrates our community′s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.