Closing On: 2021-05-24
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Salvation Army is seeking a strategic Digital Fundraising Manager to join the Donor Engagement team and support the organization’s mission to give hope to vulnerable people in 400 communities across Canada and in 131 countries. This is a unique and exciting time to join The Salvation Army’s strong culture of giving during times of crisis and elevate their fundraising efforts in securing sustainable, long-term funding.
As part of its strategic growth plans, The Salvation Army is expanding its approach and investments in its fundraising team to leverage and maximize future fundraising opportunities, in particular within its digital portfolio. Reporting to the Director of Donor Engagement and as part of an innovative and forward-thinking team, the Digital Fundraising Manager will be responsible for an annual goal of $2.9M through direct digital fundraising campaigns, and will contribute to an overall fundraising goal of $45M annually.
The Digital Fundraising Manager will be an experienced, highly collaborative, team-oriented professional who will be responsible for a national digital fundraising and donor engagement strategy that integrates seamlessly with traditional fundraising programs. The Manager will develop, lead, and execute a strategy for a comprehensive digital fundraising program with the goal of maximizing recurring and single gift revenue, and help identify and execute digital opportunities within other annual giving programs like direct mail and monthly giving.
The Manager will be a skilled fundraiser with a desire to learn and support the digital expertise across the organization collaborating with key internal partners such as Marketing and Communications and other relevant stakeholders. Supported by an external agency, the Digital Manager will promote a culture of innovation and best-in-class fundraising practices.
This role is based out of our national headquarters in Toronto. Post-pandemic we envision a combination of office and home-based work.
ABOUT THE SALVATION ARMY CANADA AND BERMUDA TERRITORY
The Salvation Army is an international Christian organization that began its work in Canada in 1882 and has grown to become one of the largest non-governmental direct providers of social services in the country. The Salvation Army gives hope and support to vulnerable people today and everyday in 400 communities across Canada and more than 131 countries around the world.
The Salvation Army offers practical assistance for children and families, often tending to the basic necessities of life, provides shelter for homeless people and rehabilitation for people who have lost control of their lives to an addiction.
As the largest non-governmental direct provider of social services in Canada, The Salvation Army provides unprecedented support to society’s most vulnerable. Last year alone, 1.9 million people were helped by The Salvation Army in Canada. As our nation continues to respond to the realities of COVID-19, a growing number of people will need our help – now more than ever. That’s where The Salvation Army steps in. Providing a wide range of services that includes immigrant and refugee settlement programs, anti-human trafficking initiatives, English conversation circles and parenting programs, people need to know they are not alone in their time of need — that they have an entire Army on their side. Everyone needs an Army and that’s why The Salvation Army exists.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
We are an innovative partner. Mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship. Building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
Values are who we are and what we continually strive for. They guide all aspects of The Salvation Army in Canada and Bermuda.
HOPE – We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
SERVICE – We reach out to support others without discrimination.
DIGNITY – We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
STEWARDSHIP – We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Our social service activities include (but are not limited to):
- Hunger relief for individuals and families through food banks and feeding programs
- Shelter for people experiencing homelessness and support for those needing housing
- Rehabilitation for those struggling with addiction
- Long-term care and palliative care
- Christmas assistance such as food hampers and toys
- After school programs, camps and school nutrition programs for children and youth
- Life-skills classes such as budgeting, cooking for a family, and anger management
With 105 thrift stores, more than 120 donor welcome centres and 11 distribution and recycling centres, The Salvation Army operates one of Canada’s largest national clothing recycling operations. Although proceeds from the sale of goods help fund our many social programs, the Army also provides items free of charge to individuals or families who have been referred by our social service programs and other agencies.
Thanks to the generosity of donors in Canada who have given specifically to our international work, the International Development Department is able to support education, health care, water and sanitation, and livelihood development projects that are helping families and communities
Digital Fundraising & Stewardship
- Lead and develop strategy for a comprehensive digital fundraising program with the goal of maximizing recurring and single gift revenue.
- Oversee the implementation of digital fundraising and stewardship campaigns, including search engine marketing, social media and digital advertising.
- Demonstrate comprehensive experience in digital fundraising, Google Analytics and social media strategies, post-campaign analysis and reporting.
- Lead an integrated, multi-channel, donor-centric approach to fundraising and stewardship, in partnership with the Director of Donor Engagement and Direct Response Manager.
- Lead for digital components of the monthly giving acquisition, conversion and stewardship campaigns, working in partnership with the Direct Response Manager to meet annual revenue and conversion goals.
- Oversee and identify opportunities to increase efficiencies and maximize revenue.
- Lead the alignment of campaign creative with our brand, ensuring a seamless user experience.
- Oversee the development, evaluation and implementation of A/B testing protocols and procedures to drive revenue.
Peer-to-Peer, Mobile Giving & Third-Party Fundraising
- Manage the digital peer-to-peer fundraising platform and programs, with continual program improvements to meet the needs of the organization.
- Oversee and create a positive donor experience for people fundraising on behalf of or donating to The Salvation Army through the peer-to-peer platform.
- Manage mobile giving program and third-party partners, developing opportunities and strategies to maximize revenue.
- Manage Text to Donate and oversee new campaign creation, communication of campaign details and allocation of revenue to divisions.
- Oversee third party partners including CanadaHelps and Donate a Car and strategize to maximize revenue.
Online Fundraising Platforms
- Manage regular giving and peer-to-peer online platforms to ensure positive donor experience, efficient and effective donation processing and accurate receipting, in partnership with the Digital Media Producer.
- Lead the search for new and emerging platforms, applications and methodologies.
- Oversee digital donor journey and ensure a positive donor experience.
- Lead Development team member for disaster fundraising.
- Communicate disaster messaging to divisions and key players in disaster fundraising.
- Write copy for disaster e-campaigns and determine all aspects of digital disaster campaigns.
- Oversee the creation of regular digital fundraising reports.
- Manage the digital fundraising content to ensure messaging is accurate, compelling, donor-centric and meets The Salvation Army messaging guidelines.
- Oversee collaboration with the Communications and Marketing team to gather content for fundraising appeals, newsletters and stewardship.
- Oversee communication with divisions to arrange interviews, content and photo opportunities.
- Active member of the Communications Department Content Committee.
- Manage digital fundraising activities to ensure they follow Canada Revenue Agency guidelines, and adhere to Imagine Canada standards for the administration, processing, and management of donations and donor privacy.
- Manage budget planning and budget variance reporting for digital fundraising.
- Communicate with divisional Public Relations and Development teams for digital fundraising.
- Manage vendors and evaluate the services of contracted suppliers for digital fundraising, mobile giving and third-party fundraising.
- Oversee contract renewals, search for new suppliers, and in the orientation of new suppliers as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working environment is typically in the office with possible travel (20%).
- May require working after business hours and/or being on call as required for Emergency Disaster fundraising and during the peak fundraising season.
QUALIFICATIONS & KEY COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing integrated digital fundraising and lead generation campaigns that maximize revenue.
- Experience working in a fundraising capacity, ideally with annual giving campaign experience.
- Highly collaborative and strong relationship builder comfortable using influence to elevate fundraising strategies. Experience in a national, matrixed or a similarly complex organization is an asset.
- Strong knowledge of current and developing digital fundraising and marketing strategies.
- Strategic level experience in Google Analytics, SEO, SEM, social media and digital advertising strategies.
- Thorough understanding of the strategies used for each aspect of digital fundraising (SEM, display ads, social media and e-solicitations), and donor behaviours using each one, using KPIs and metrics to analyze data and shift strategy to meet fundraising goals. Experience managing key vendor and agency relationships.
- Project management experience, including planning, budgeting, monitoring and analysis.
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to plan and lead projects to meet expected outcomes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (graphic design experience is an asset).
- Ability to query, segment and analyze data for reporting, identifying growth potential and trends.
- Life-long learner who remains current in digital fundraising and marketing trends and strategies.
- Knowledge of Canadian digital fundraising and marketing best practices and restrictions.
- Skill in preparing written reports and presentations.
- Proven experience writing and editing compelling fundraising copy.
- Post-secondary degree or certificate in Digital Marketing, Fundraising, Business Administration or equivalent experience.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda Territory. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Associate Vice President, KCI Search + Talent or Christine Cho, Senior Search Consultant by email at SalvationArmyDigital@kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by May 24, 2021.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
The Salvation Army does not discriminate in our hiring process. Our hiring policy respects the non-discrimination principles of the Human Rights Codes across Canada. In addition, we adhere to all relevant employment laws, providing domestic partner benefits accordingly. The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.
The salary range for this position is $58,000 – $80,000 with a comprehensive benefits package also provided.