The Foundation is seeking an energetic, ambitious, and engaging Chief Executive Officer. This is a career-defining opportunity for a fundraising professional to demonstrate the leadership and drive necessary to complete a campaign that will have a huge impact on the healthcare provided to the community. The CEO will implement and update the strategic plan and ensure achievement of financial goals, including the campaign.
We are seeking an energetic, ambitious, and engaging Chief Executive Officer to lead our Foundation, our team, and our fundraising efforts. This is an exciting time in our Foundation’s trajectory as we see through a campaign that will lead to the redevelopment of Stevenson Memorial Hospital.
The CEO will assume operational and financial management of Stevenson Memorial Hospital Foundation (SMHF), advancing philanthropic support by building awareness, engagement, and investment from our community. Providing leadership and direction to our staff, and guidance and partnership to the Foundation Board, the CEO will implement and update our strategic plan and ensure achievement of our financial goals, including the campaign. The CEO will develop and maintain a proactive and effective partnership with the Hospital’s internal stakeholders, including the Hospital’s Board of Directors, senior leadership, hospital staff, professional staff and volunteers.
This is a career-defining opportunity for a fundraising professional to demonstrate the leadership and drive necessary to complete a campaign that will have a huge impact on the healthcare provided to our community. Our campaign is 57% complete, and we look forward to partnering with a leader who is as passionate as we are about making a difference!
ABOUT THE STEVENSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
Stevenson Memorial Hospital is located in the community of Alliston in the Town of New Tecumseth, Ontario. Situated one hour north of downtown Toronto, this fully accredited hospital offers 38 inpatient beds and a wide range of outpatient services. Stevenson serves a catchment area that includes Adjala-Tosorontio, Canadian Forces Base Borden, Essa, Innisfil and New Tecumseth.
Stevenson dates back to 1928, when T.P. Loblaw, of the famed Loblaws grocery chain, conceived the idea of a hospital as a tribute to his grandparents, William and Elizabeth Stevenson.
A lot has changed since then. Today the hospital is in a period of growth and opportunity. Stevenson is embarking on an exciting redevelopment plan that will see the facility expand to over twice its current size. The hospital was built in 1964 with an Emergency Department to serve 7,000 patients in a year and we now serve almost 40,000 patients annually.
Our goal as a community hospital is to provide quality patient care that meets the needs of our growing community. We have a strong vision for the future of Stevenson Memorial Hospital, centered on a revitalized hospital, cutting-edge equipment, and comfortable, modern space for patients and families to receive health care close to home.
ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
In 1928, with support from T.P. Loblaw, F.K. Morrow, and other prominent leaders from the area, the first Stevenson Memorial Hospital was born. Years later, in 1964, due to the expanding population and increasing health care needs, our hospital was rebuilt. At that time, fewer than 10,000 people relied on our hospital for care.
Now, over 50 years later, Stevenson is providing care for a community of over 73,000 people and our population is expected to rise to more than 100,000 by 2031. Our hospital needs financial support to expand and revitalize our facility and continually update technology and replace critical equipment.
Our Foundation is dedicated to raising the funds necessary to meet these needs. Together, we have a strong vision for the future of Stevenson Memorial Hospital, centered on a revitalized hospital, state-of-the-art equipment, and comfortable, modern patient spaces.
- 2019-2024 Strategic Plan
- Because of you, we can: Case for Support
- Transforming Stevenson
- Foundation Board Bios
- 2019/2020 Annual Report
- 2019/2020 Financial Statements
- 2019-2020 Priority Needs
- Stevenson Memorial Hospital Website
- Hospital Strategic Plan
- SMH Leadership Team
- SMH Board
- By the Numbers: SMH Stats
- Foundation News
- SMH News
OUR CAMPAIGN: Because of you, we can
Inspired by our patients and by our desire to always provide the very best medical care to our communities, Stevenson Memorial Hospital will soon be transformed. Our all-encompassing vision is to ensure that our patients will be able to receive health care close to home, now and far into the future. Stevenson will be a revitalized hospital with cutting-edge equipment and comfortable, modern spaces for optimal patient care.
We have embarked on an ambitious, $43 million campaign in order to achieve three goals necessary to meet the needs of our growing community:
1) A Bigger, Revitalized Stevenson – $30 million to more than double the square footage of our hospital, adding a new emergency department, operating room facilities, diagnostic and imaging labs, refurbished outpatient clinics, and more.
2) Transformative Technology – $5 million focused on up-grading to leading-edge technology to implement a Shared Health Information Network Exchange (SHINE), allowing Stevenson to participate in the creation of a sophisticated electronic records system, allowing transformation of the delivery of patient care by giving medical professionals improved access to patient medical data in real time, while supporting faster diagnosis and treatment.
3) Capital Equipment – $8 million – we have an ongoing need to purchase equipment essential to patient care that is not provided by government funding. By raising at least $1 Million annually for this purpose, we help to ensure that hospital staff have the most advanced equipment needed to provide the best care for all, including essential pieces of equipment such as vital signs monitors, IV pumps, stretchers, and ultrasound machines.
The campaign is led by an exceptionally engaged team of Campaign volunteers who work closely with our Foundation staff to connect with many different groups of prospects. We also rely on close partnership with and support from the Hospital leadership, physicians, staff, and Board.
Thanks to our collective efforts, and the generosity of our donors. we have already raised nearly 60% of the campaign goal, including lead gifts from the County of Simcoe, Honda Canada, and the Nottawasaga Foundation.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Energetic, engaging, and collaborative the ideal candidate will couple the science and discipline of fundraising with the art of authentic relationship development. A strong generalist fundraiser with experience managing a small team, the Foundation CEO will be an active solicitor who brings a track-record of personally closing gifts at the 5-, 6-, and ideally 7-figure level, engaging volunteers and hospital colleagues where and when appropriate. Previous experience leading or being significantly involved in a capital campaign is essential in this role.
The successful candidate will have previous experience in annual and multi-year operational planning and reporting and must demonstrate an analytical mindset and solid business acumen. Pragmatic and efficient, the new incumbent will optimize the contributions of staff, hospital colleagues, and volunteers. A person of high integrity and transparency, the CEO will positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
Fearless and ambitious on the Foundation’s behalf, the CEO will drive the campaign forward, building momentum by laying out a clear path ahead and breaking down goals into achievable activities. Focused and organized, the ideal candidate will effectively manage the administrative aspects of the role, providing clear communication and reporting on progress and results.
The CEO will provide leadership to the Foundation team, setting an example and building trust within the staff team. A coach and mentor who spots talent and develops potential, the successful candidate will assess strengths and ambition, and will support team members in reaching their potential and exceeding expectations. The new incumbent will energize and inspire volunteers and staff, leveraging their passion, connections, and skills.
An encouraging person who celebrates and builds pride in collective accomplishments, the ideal candidate will bring creativity and innovation to all aspects of the role. The successful candidate will develop a strong synergy and partnership with the Hospital CEO and leadership team. Working collaboratively and professionally, the Foundation CEO will harness the passion of hospital colleagues and proactively prepare and involve them in donor engagement activities. Frequent, clear, and direct communication will be central to this partnership.
The ideal candidate will utilize sound marketing communications savvy to heighten awareness of the Hospital’s excellence and impact, and to build awareness of Stevenson’s needs. An exceptional public speaker who enjoys the limelight, the new CEO will become the face of the Foundation and will rally the community in their support of the Hospital’s redevelopment. The successful candidate will be comfortable connecting and speaking with local media, individuals and businesses as a means to build a stronger presence throughout the communities we serve.
Possessing a persuasive and flexible interpersonal style, the successful candidate will develop an understanding of a wide range of donors and stakeholders in our communities and will develop strategies to best engage with each. The CEO will also be comfortable playing a lead role in reaching out to and involving prospective donors, and in soliciting and closing gifts.
Our expectation is for the CEO to have or achieve and maintain CFRE accreditation in the future. Candidates must also possess a university degree or college diploma, or equivalent experience and education. While candidates are not required to live in our community, the CEO must be willing and able to be present at community events and activities which sometimes take place outside typical work hours.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide leadership, coaching, management, and support to our dedicated team of 6 staff
- Work collaboratively with and support the Board
- Develop, propose, execute and report on strategies, plans, projects and programs that achieve the purpose and objectives of the Foundation
- Establish appropriate measures and indicators of progress and achievement of objectives
- Build effective relationships with Hospital leadership and staff, with the Stevenson Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, and with government representatives, other community organizations, foundations and societies, and the community at large
- Ensure effective, productive, and positive relationships with Foundation staff, contractors, board members, corporation members and volunteers
Fund Development & Donor Relations
- Build mutually respectful relationships with existing and prospective donors
- Regularly review and optimize donor relationship strategy
- Design and implement revenue generation plans to raise sufficient funds to support the work of the Foundation and meet Foundation goals
- Lead and participate in the cultivation and solicitation of major gifts, and in the recognition and stewardship of donors
- Ensure the strong, positive reputation of the Foundation is sustained and enhanced
- Develop and enhance the profile of the Foundation through engagement in various committee, community, and individual relationships
Operations and Administration
- Oversee and direct all Foundation administrative functions, including budgeting, financial management and reporting, and policy administration
- Ensure the effective recruitment, development, performance and support of Foundation staff, Board, and volunteers
- Establish a respectful workplace environment, and implement effective and efficient practices for the execution of Foundation work
- Take actions to ensure compliance with the constitution, bylaw, policies, laws, and all other statutory and regulatory requirements
Support Board Governance and Direction
- Propose policies that ensure accountability, transparency and appropriate risk management
- Work with, communicate with, and support the effective operation of and governance by the Board.
- Organize and participate in regular Board meetings, committee meetings and special meetings and retreats
- Develop and implement a comprehensive Board Recruitment, Orientation, Training, Mentoring, and Monitoring program, in collaboration with the Board Chair
Ethics and Decision-Making
- Working within the policies and guidelines approved by the Board, the CEO has full decision- making authority for day to day operations of the organizations
- The CEO is expected to make decisions that are in compliance with CRA, Corporations Act, and other legislation governing charitable organizations, and that align with ethical guidelines established by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, the Association of Healthcare Philanthropy, and Imagine Canada
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of The Stevenson Memorial Hospital Foundation. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Tara George by email at SMHF@kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by April 30, 2021.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
Stevenson Memorial Hospital is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Please note that the salary range for this position is $110,000 – $135,000 plus pension and benefits including participation in the HOOPP pension plan https://hoopp.com/members/hoopp-pension-features.