The Development Officer, Major Gifts is a key member of the Development team and plays an integral role in advancing the mission of St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation. The Development Officer will support key fundraising activity and be responsible for generating fundraising revenue, identifying potential sources of funding, developing and executing cultivation and solicitation strategies for past, current and potential individual, corporate, and foundation supporters. The Development Officer, Major Gifts is a full-time position that reports to the Manager, Major Gifts.
About St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation
At St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation, we’re dedicated to raising funds to support the highest priority needs of St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton — an academic health sciences centre that’s been committed to exceptional patient care, research and the education and training of healthcare professionals for more than 130 years. A leader in healthcare philanthropy in our region, our Foundation is also part of a select group of Canadian charities accredited by Imagine Canada’s Standards Program.
With the increasing pressures upon our healthcare system, the roles of philanthropy, partnerships and investments from our generous community of donors and friends are more important than ever. As a Foundation team, we work closely with grateful patients, individual, corporate and foundation donors, healthcare professionals and research teams at the Hospital, and the wider community as a whole to raise funds for vital equipment needs, to help renovate patient care areas at the Hospital, and fund research studies that will inform the future of care. Join us on our inspiring mission to support Hope, Healing and Discovery at St. Joe’s.
Specific Responsibilities of the Development Officer, Major Gifts:
In collaboration with the Major Gifts team, the Development Officer will:
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit philanthropic support by developing and maintaining relationships with current donors and prospects ($10,000+) to achieve an annual revenue target starting at $500,000
- Provide strategic moves management support to senior members of the Development team
- Help prepare and write fundraising materials including cases for support, proposals, briefing notes, reports and other correspondence to support fundraising efforts
- Update Raiser’s Edge in a timely fashion to reflect all fundraising activity including call outcomes, actions, notes, relationship connections etc.
- Build and maintain a strong knowledge of the hospital programs and related priorities
- Assist with the clinician and staff engagement program by providing administrative support to track program activity, while also cultivating and supporting clinicians as they develop their potential to identify grateful patient prospects
- Assist in other duties and special projects as required in furthering the goals of the Major Gifts team and the Foundation
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications/abilities:
- University degree or college diploma
- 3 years of related experience in fundraising and/or major gift environment
- Excellent writing, research, communications & presentation skills
- Strong knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or similar fundraising software
- Impeccable attention to detail and strong program management skills
- Self-starter who is motivated to learn and grow
- Commitment to excellent donor service
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, to juggle competing priorities, to be part of a team, to be responsive and to meet deadlines.
Salary and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.
Deadline for Applications
April 2, 2021
Please e-mail resume and cover letter with the subject line ‘Development Officer, Major Gifts’ to firstname.lastname@example.org. St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We aim to reduce barriers and support accessibility for all candidates. Thank you for your interest in working with St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.