North York General Foundation (NYGF) is seeking a highly motivated and skilled Senior Philanthropy Officer, Major Gifts to help drive annual revenue by securing gifts in the $100K+ range. In this new role, the SPO will cultivate a portfolio of active prospects and donors to maximize individual and corporate donor support; formulate strategies for soliciting six and seven-figure gifts in collaboration with volunteer leaders and senior management; and grow the pipeline leveraging the high potential prospect pool of loyal donors and patients, with the support of the research team.
The Senior Philanthropy Officer will be a collaborative and driven fundraising professional who will expertly manage their major gift donor and prospect pipeline through the donor cycle in a way that strategically builds relationships and increases revenue.
The philanthropy team has an exceptional new leader, this role reports to the new Chief Development Officer Elain Evans. Elain’s experience in large campaigns, strategic planning, volunteer management, and leveraging predictive analytics will be essential for the Foundation’s growth. Importantly, Elain has a reputation for being an empowering leader who fosters a collaborative team culture.
This is an exciting time to join NYGF and work with our high-performing team, committed to supporting the exceptional care our hospital provides to our diverse communities across the GTA. North York General Hospital is one of Newsweek’s top 5 hospitals in Canada and among the top 100 globally.
Constantly redefining what it means to be a ‘community hospital’, our partner, North York General is a multi-site acute, ambulatory, and long-term care network for our diverse community, an incubator for applied research, a springboard for innovation in the health care landscape, and a destination for philanthropy. Supported by an outstanding board of governors, North York General Foundation is strategically expanding our team in philanthropy, events, business intelligence, and donor analytics in pursuit of new ways to reach our community, demonstrate impact, and raise funds for an incredible Hospital.
Over the next year, we are committed to raising funds for the new Seniors’ Health Centre, a redeveloped Post Partum Unit, applied research, and a multitude of other program and equipment needs across the organization. At the same time, we are planning for a Campaign, which will support the largest expansion in our hospital’s history.
With a passion for healthcare philanthropy, the Senior Philanthropy Officer will be able to work independently and efficiently when working from a home office or in a traditional office environment.
ABOUT NORTH YORK GENERAL HOSPITAL
North York General Hospital (NYGH), affiliated with the University of Toronto, is one of Canada’s leading community academic hospitals. We offer our culturally diverse community a wide range of acute care, ambulatory, and long-term care services across multiple sites. Through partnerships, collaboration, and academic endeavours, we seek to set new standards for patient- and family-centred care. Working together with our patients and their families, we are making a world of difference.
We provide an exceptional care experience for our patients and their families and have proudly served our diverse communities in North Toronto, and beyond, since 1968.
The hospital partners with 36 different academic institutions, including the University of Toronto, to prepare future physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals to work in interprofessional teams, providing essential care in a community hospital setting. NYGH programs are the training site for four core clerkship programs, and we provide a site for core rotations to 22 different University of Toronto Residency Programs. Over 300 North York General physicians have faculty appointments at the University of Toronto. Each year, 1,200 nursing students come here to learn and develop their clinical skills.
Our staff, physicians, and volunteers have a history of transforming health care to better serve our patients. We are leaders who adopt the most innovative health information technology, strategists who carefully chart patient flow and find ways to reduce wait times, and visionaries who dream of and work towards the ideal patient experience. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest care. We put our patients first in everything we do.
Our team provides care with respect, integrity, excellence, and compassion.
Respect: We embrace the strength in our diversity and treat everyone with respect and dignity.
Integrity: Every day, we act in a professional and ethical manner.
Excellence: We strive to achieve better outcomes in everything we do, collaborating with patients, families, and partners.
Compassion: We provide an exceptional care experience to our patients and their families with empathy, sensitivity, and understanding.
Areas of Care
North York General Hospital provides a wide range of acute care, ambulatory, and long-term care services at multiple sites. Our goal is to provide an exceptional care experience for our patients and their families. Everyone’s role at our hospital contributes to our shared purpose of providing patient- and family-centred care.
- Cancer Care
- Family Medicine
- Laboratory Medicine
- Medical Imaging
- Mental Health
- Emergency Care
- Maternal, Newborn and Paediatric Care
- Medicine and Elder Care
- Palliative Care
ABOUT NORTH YORK GENERAL FOUNDATION
Our mission is to raise and steward funds that enable North York General to deliver exceptional health care to our diverse communities.
Exceptional care requires exceptional support. At North York General Foundation, we know this to be true, which is why we are grateful to every one of our supporters who understand the central role that North York General plays in caring for our community.
The Foundation supports our hospital’s most urgent needs, including equipment replacement and upgrades, capital projects, and funding for our applied research institute and educational awards. We look beyond the needs of the day-to-day and seek to invest in programs and infrastructure that will transform how our hospital delivers care and how this improved care can be replicated and scaled across Canada.
Thanks to the support of our generous community, the hospital has achieved substantial capital growth across the hospital sites, including:
- New outpatient clinics have opened to better meet the needs of our diverse and growing community, including Phillips House and Maddie’s Healing Garden for child and adolescent mental health, which is home to one of the largest hospital-based eating disorder programs in southern Ontario.
- Specialty Care Clinic that houses our Total Joint Assessment Centre, Hand Therapy Clinic and Minor Procedures Clinic.
- The Karen, Heather & Lynn Steinberg Breast Centre. The breast cancer care program once again received full accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), administered by the American College of Surgeons. After the initial accreditation in 2016, it remains the only accredited breast cancer program in Canada.
- Last year, the new Baruch/Weisz Cancer Centre, which houses the Anne Tanenbaum Chemotherapy Clinic and BMO Oncology Assessment and Support Services opened. Patients in our community facing the uncertainty of a life-changing cancer diagnosis can now get the care they need, close to home and all in one location.
- In November 2020, the Steinberg Family Paediatric Centre officially opened. This is a hospital within a hospital designed specifically for children — newborns up to age 18. It is a place of comfort and healing for the children and grandchildren of this community.
For more information about North York General Hospital and its Foundation, please visit:
- North York General Hospital
- North York General Foundation
- Foundation Board of Governors
- Annual Reports and Financial Statements
- Ways to Donate
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute to the business planning process for corporate and individual giving.
- Build and manage a portfolio of 100-125 major gift prospects ($100,000+ giving level) with specific annual revenue and pledge targets.
- Expand the donor pipeline adding individuals and corporate prospects in a methodical and strategic manner, supported by the prospect research team.
- Support Foundation special events through the solicitation of high-level sponsorships.
- Work collaboratively with the planned giving program to promote and solicit combined asks.
- Ensure data integrity of Raisers Edge by entering actions accurately and in a timely manner to support the measurement of key performance indicators.
Collaboration, Relationship & Alliance Building
- Build, develop, and maintain effective and mutually beneficial partnerships with key stakeholders within North York General Hospital and the Foundation to facilitate ongoing awareness and support to raise funds.
- Support key Foundation volunteers and NYGH senior staff and physicians to develop and build linkages between the Foundation’s major gifts prospects and the hospital.
- Work with colleagues to plan and execute proposals and targeted communications for current and potential major gift donors.
- Support the donor experience and special events teams through open communication that ensures alignment with both new and established donor plans.
- Assist the Chief Development Officer on special projects that will enable the team to meet annual and strategic planning goals.
- Work as a team player promoting a positive and professional work environment by conducting the role with integrity and respect.
- Act as a community Ambassador positively representing the hospital and the Foundation.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Progressive fundraising experience, with a proven track record working in major gifts within a hospital, education, or other complex setting.
- Strong relationship building skills with experience working with diverse groups including donors, senior volunteers, committees, and Foundation and Hospital staff (or equivalent).
- Ability to demonstrate a bold, proactive fundraising approach with an aptitude for developing new revenue opportunities.
- A strong sense of urgency with proven rigor related to meeting targets, booking meetings; and closing gifts.
- An exceptional team player who can leverage cross functional relations to support enhanced revenue results.
- A forward-thinking approach to work that anticipates obstacles and plans for contingencies.
- An aptitude for implementing non-traditional fundraising methods across donor demographics to increase philanthropic opportunities.
- Excellent communications skills including superior verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- High level user with a well-developed understanding of database systems, ideally Raiser’s Edge.
- Data-driven with the ability to use donor data and trends to drive priorities and decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage responsibilities and interact in the utmost professional manner with a value system and open communication style that contributes to individual and organizational success.
- Strong customer service-oriented approach that demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism, confidentiality and sensitivity complemented by excellent organizational and time management abilities.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to efficiently manage competing demands and priorities and meet deadlines.
- Passion for healthcare philanthropy, North York General Hospital, and its leadership role in the Greater Toronto Area.
- CFRE designation is considered an asset.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of North York General Foundation. For more information about this Foundation leadership opportunity, please contact Ellie Rusonik, Vice President by email at NYGFSPO@kcitalent.com
To view full position brief, please visit www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resumes and letters of interest to the email address listed above by July 11, 2022. Please note that we will be reviewing applications as they are received; early submission is encouraged.
The target hiring range for this position is $80,000 to $95,000
At North York General Foundation, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General Foundation is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.