The Senior Manager, Foundation Giving is responsible for overseeing the achievement of Second Harvest’s foundation revenue targets and overall grants strategy. The incumbent will personally identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors and prospects within Second Harvest’s foundation and government portfolio, in accordance with performance targets set by the Director of Development.
They will develop and implement processes to achieve efficiencies in pipeline management and donor cultivation, and Raiser’s Edge data entry and reporting accuracy. They will also lead the foundation and government grant application process, from initial research to fulfillment, ongoing administration, and reporting.
Salary Range: $80,000 – $85,000 (plus benefits)
Posted On: September 18, 2023
Closing On: September 24, 2023
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Effective: Full Time, Immediate
Salary Range: $80,000 – $85,000 Per Annum Plus Benefits
Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and is a global thought leader on perishable food redistribution. We operate at the intersection of hunger relief and environmental protection, tackling food loss and waste through food redistribution, research, awareness, and education, continually innovating, and collaborating to ensure a more sustainable planet. We work with thousands of food businesses from across the supply chain utilizing logistics and technology to reduce the amount of edible food going to waste, thereby diverting unnecessary greenhouse gases from entering the environment.
- Engage in strategic planning activities in collaboration with Director of Development, to identify and implement fundraising goals and objectives.
- Manage the research and identification of foundation and government grant opportunities that align with Second Harvest’s philanthropy objectives.
- Lead the creation of donor/grant proposals, in collaboration with the Director of Development, Programs and Partnerships staff, and Finance; work in close collaboration with Chief Financial and Operating Officer and relevant Programs staff to prepare external budgets, workplans, and deliverables for grant applications and proposals.
- Manage a core list of 80-100 prospective donors for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, and pursue leads with identified foundations.
- Work closely with the Business Intelligence Team to ensure all donor records in the CRM database have up to date information and are properly coded and allocated.
- Monitor and execute grant administration: oversee timelines, deliverables, reporting and recognition requirements, and liaise with other internal departments to meet requirements.
- Collaborate with the Marketing & Communications team to craft impactful, high-quality donor solicitation and cultivation materials.
- Participate in ongoing administration and positive communication with Second Harvest’s funders, as needed.
- Manage direct report (Development Manager, Foundation Giving), creating a positive team dynamic and monitoring performance and development goals; mentor, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, evaluate results, and conduct annual performance reviews.
- Support Foundation Giving annual plan by managing targets, revenue, and expense budget.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned to support the overall goals of the organization.
- Passionate: You are inspired by the work of Second Harvest and are eager to build on our vision of
“No Waste. No Hunger.”
- Fundraiser: You have a proven track record of fundraising success, including securing significant revenue from foundation sources, securing/managing partnerships and matching-gifts, major gifts, and developing proposals and grant applications. Success with government fundraising would be considered an asset.
- Leader: You are a proven people leader with success managing direct reports (including remote staff) in an agile and fast-paced environment. You troubleshoot, think creatively, and help others solve problems.
- Client-Focused: You strive to always create a memorable and positive donor experience. You have exemplary donor service and relationship management skills, with a keen understanding of and respect for the donor cycle and journey.
- Innovator: You are innovative and creative in your approach. You are able to think outside the box to find new sources of funding.
- Project Manager: You have strong project management skills, including the ability to keep others on track.
- A motivated self-starter, capable of taking ownership of functional area and working with minimal supervision.
- Knowledgeable of fundraising best practice (through education, experience, or a combination of the two).
- Strong proficiency with CRMs (in particular, proficiency with Raiser’s Edge would be considered an asset).
- Able to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends for special events or during peak periods. Able to travel and have a valid Class G driver’s license (mileage compensated).
For more information about Second Harvest, please visit: https://www.secondharvest.ca/about-us/careers
Please submit your cover letter and resume on or before September 24, 2023. Only electronic applications will be accepted: https://boards.greenhouse.io/secondharvest/jobs/4272526006
We encourage applications from individuals who self-identify as belonging to equity-deserving groups such as (but not limited to): racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2S+ persons.
Second Harvest is committed to an inclusive and accessible recruitment and selection process. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.