The Senior Director, Finance is responsible for the financial stewardship of Birds Canada. This includes financial reporting, compliance, budgeting and forecasting, investments and assets, audits, risk management and overseeing payroll and accounts payable/receivable. Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the Senior Director, Finance oversees internal finance staff and outsourced services. A growth trajectory to a VP-level (leadership team) role is conceivable, based on performance and leadership potential. Salary Range: $95,000 – $115,000
Posted on: August 10, 2022
Closing on: September 6, 2022
Location: Remote (Canada)
Employment Type: Fulltime
Salary: $95,000 – $115,000
Birds Canada (formerly Bird Studies Canada) is the country’s only national organization dedicated to bird conservation. Every day, our thousands of caring donors, 70+ passionate staff, and 70,000+ outstanding volunteers are taking action to help us better understand, appreciate, and conserve birds and their habitats. Together, we are Canada’s voice for birds.
A $9 million non-profit, charitable organization, Birds Canada was built on the enthusiastic contributions of thousands of caring members and volunteer Citizen Scientists. Data (observations) collected by Citizen Scientists, alongside targeted research projects, are used to identify significant bird population changes and help direct conservation planning.
Our national headquarters is located in Port Rowan, Ontario, connected to the historic Long Point Bird Observatory, with regional offices from coast to coast.
Birds Canada works to conserve birds through sound science, on-the-ground actions, innovative partnerships, public engagement, and science-based advocacy. We believe the most effective conservation results arise from a multifaceted approach which addresses the needs of habitats, people, and species.
Birds Canada is hiring a Senior Director, Finance. The Senior Director, Finance is responsible for the financial stewardship of Birds Canada. This includes financial reporting, compliance, budgeting and forecasting, investments and assets, audits, risk management and overseeing payroll and accounts payable/receivable. Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the Senior Director, Finance oversees internal finance staff and outsourced services. A growth trajectory to a VP-level (leadership team) role is conceivable, based on performance and leadership potential.
Our client is seeking to meet financial strategists who bring regional and programmatic leadership and the following:
- Demonstrated experience and high comfort level with accounting software suites, in particular cloud-based in a non-profit
- Strong experience of reporting, financial statements, processes, financial planning, and analysis not just generating numbers
- Experience with Financial Edge / Raiser’s Edge (Blackbaud) would be an asset
- Demonstrated strength in communications. Ability to adapt to audiences and communicate key financial metrics and decisions to program staff and the public, including to those without a finance background.
- Experience in a leadership role as an auditor and/or auditee
- Experience overseeing staff or service providers responsible for payroll, A/P, etc.
- Proven experience in selecting, implementing, and/or transitioning between software suites would be a definite asset
- Experience working with investment advisors would be an asset
- English mandatory, French and/or Spanish would be assets
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- 7-10 years’ related experience with an understanding and familiarity with different funding streams
- A proven track record in not-for-profit and/or charitable finance
- Attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- A self-starter and solution oriented
- A related University degree in business/accounting or MBA
- Chartered Professional Accountant – CPA (CA, CGA CMA) designation
What Birds Canada offers in return
- Competitive salary ($95k – $115k)
- Comprehensive health and disability benefits
- A 5% RRSP matching after one year
- Flexible, to be discussed. Possibilities are fully remote work (within Canada) or hybrid/full-time presence at a Birds Canada office.
This search is being conducted on behalf of Birds Canada by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting non-profit and charitable professionals for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we would be pleased to connect with them.
Questions about this position, please reach out to Ann Armstrong, Senior Search Consultant, at 647.261.3566. We request all applications be submitted online only.
To submit your application by September 6, 2022, please visit https://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/
Select/View the role and ‘Apply’ to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents.
Issues with applying? Please email email@example.com.
Birds Canada is committed to improving levels of diversity among its volunteers, membership, staff, and board to reflect the diversity of Canada. In an effort to do so, it is actively tracking and seeking to improve its ability to reach all candidates with job advertisements. Applicants belonging to racialized groups; who identify as Indigenous, LGBTQ+; or who have differing abilities are therefore invited to self-identify in their cover letter.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter online in confidence.
We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.