Do you want to make a positive impact in your community? Are you excited about working towards swimmable, drinkable, fishable waters for everyone?
The Senior Development Officer, Grants and Foundations will research, organize, and lead our grant writing efforts. You’ll help us raise more funds and you’ll steward important relationships. This person will be reporting to our National Manager of Development and working
alongside our Development and Water Programs teams. We work as a team and are always willing to help each other.
This position will be working remotely and will need access to reliable internet (we will provide a computer). Some travel may be required for donor stewardship and events.
Salary Range: $52,000 – $65,000
Posted On: August 23, 2023
Closing On: September 12, 2023
Location: Work from home (anywhere in Canada), with a preference for being located near Vancouver or Toronto
Effective: October 2023 orASAP
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $52,000 – $65,000
Connecting people to water. Empowering people to protect water. Taking action to restore water.
Does ensuring everyone has access to swimmable, drinkable, fishable water sound good to you? Swim Drink Fish may be the movement you want to join.
About Swim Drink Fish
Swim Drink Fish Canada is a charity dedicated to ensuring swimmable, drinkable, fishable water for everyone. By using community science and storytelling, we inspire millions of people to know and safeguard their waters. We have teams across Canada.
Swim Drink Fish is always looking to grow its movement of passionate water stewards. We need someone to help us raise funds to support our important work. In short, you’ll be writing grants, reaching out to foundations, and stewarding important relationships.
Swim Drink Fish is a Great Place to Work
● You get to make a meaningful, positive impact on the environment
● You get to work with an extremely talented team who you can learn from and
● We are committed to your professional development
● We value your creativity!
● We value your input and we want to know what you think
● We offer a benefits plan
Swim Drink Fish is an equal opportunity employer; we are committed to having a skilled and diversified workforce. Indigenous Peoples, members of a visible minority group, 2SLGBTQ+ persons, and people from other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Here’s what you need to do…
Grant Writing (70%)
● Research and identify government, corporate, foundation, and private funding opportunities that align with our mission
● Develop and write letters of inquiry and high-quality grant proposals and applications for funding
● Collaborate with other team members to develop compelling narratives and create budgets to accompany proposals
● Secure support for priority projects and unrestricted funding
● Track grant reporting deadlines and work with staff to ensure the timely completion of interim and final reports
● Create and maintain a system for tracking grant applications (which ones we are eligible for now, which ones may be of interest in the future, deadlines, etc)
● Develop and maintain deep rooted relationships with grant makers and solicit feedback
Donor Stewardship & Relationship Building (30%)
● Maintain relationships with existing high level supporters (donors, sponsors, foundations)
● Work to cultivate, nurture and secure major partners / donors to support Swim Drink Fish
● Attend meetings and events, cultivate relationships, and represent the organization to supporters and stakeholders.
● Coordinate personalized acknowledgements and other correspondence with prospective and existing supporters
Here’s what you need to have…
● Experience in fundraising, grant writing, donor relations
● A proven ability to research, cultivate, solicit, and steward new sources of individual, corporate, foundation, and government support.
● Existing knowledge of, and relationships with, various foundations and major donor networks
● Strong writing skills
● Strong interpersonal skills
● Highly organized with the ability to build systems and follow-up processes
● Ability to work collaboratively in a remote work setting
● Knowledge of relevant grant application processes, scoring criteria, and funding cycles
● Passion for swimmable, drinkable, fishable water
● Ability to travel locally or domestically
Important Note: Donʼt meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and racialized people of every gender are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Swim Drink Fish, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have some of these qualities and believe this is the position that will make you excited to come to work every day, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the person we are looking for!
How To Apply
Email the following information in one attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Senior Development Officer – Your Name”.
● Cover letter, highlighting why you best fit this position.
● Resumé, highlighting relevant experience, skills, and training related to the position.
● Include the names and contact information for three references.
Application deadline is 12:00pm EST on September 12, 2023.
*Applicants must be legally permitted to work in Canada.
Swim Drink Fish Canada is committed to having a skilled, diversified workforce reflective of our community, and to the equitable representation of women, Indigenous peoples, LGBTQ2+ individuals, and members of visible minority groups. Sorry, but we can only respond to those candidates selected for an interview.