Reporting to the Associate Vice President, Major and Leadership Gifts, the SDO will be a key member of the Philanthropy team and join a dedicated group of energetic professionals working to position ROM for future growth and success.
Passionate about connecting generous hearts with meaningful causes, the SDO will engage individuals, foundations, and corporations with a focus on fostering authentic and lasting relationships with donors who share our vision for promoting art, culture, and nature. Working closely with the Associate Vice President and other leaders, the SDO will also have the opportunity to support their donor engagement efforts.
A caring and accountable fundraiser who enjoys building authentic relationships with colleagues, volunteers, and the donor community, the SDO has a desire to empower and inspire philanthropy for art, culture, and nature. The SDO will be highly collegial, strategic, and comfortable working in a complex and fast-paced environment while fostering relationships that enrich lives and leave a lasting legacy. Salary Range: $85,000 – $105,000
Posted On: August 11, 2023
Closing On: September 21, 2023
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $85,000 – $105,000
ROM Governors is undertaking an ambitious fundraising campaign to support ROM’s bold plans as a 21st-century museum, embracing change, and pursuing innovation. To help support this transformational campaign, we are seeking an experienced, enthusiastic, and goal-oriented Senior Development Officer, Philanthropy (SDO).
Managing and working closely with a small team of Development Officers, the SDO will be a positive thinker and role model who demonstrates leadership, collaboration, respect, and excellence. Previous team management experience is not required, making this an opportunity to develop those skills.
The salary range for this position is $85,000 – $105,000 and includes a pension and comprehensive benefits plan. Currently, ROM Governors works within a hybrid model, providing flexibility for staff to work remotely two days per week.
This is an exciting time of growth at ROM Governors and in addition to the Senior Development Officer, Philanthropy, we are also seeking a Development Officer, Philanthropy. For more information on the Development Officer position, please contact Jill Anderson, Senior Consultant, Search + Talent at ROMSDO@kcitalent.com.
Founded in 1914, the Royal Ontario Museum showcases art, culture, and nature from around the world and across the ages. Among the top 10 cultural institutions in North America, Canada’s largest and most comprehensive museum is home to a world-class collection of 13 million artworks, cultural objects, and natural history specimens, featured in 40 gallery and exhibition spaces. As the country’s preeminent field research institute and an international leader in new discoveries, ROM plays a vital role in advancing our understanding of the artistic, cultural, and natural world. Combining its original heritage architecture with the contemporary Daniel Libeskind-designed Michael Lee-Chin Crystal, ROM serves as a national landmark, and a dynamic cultural destination in the heart of Toronto for all to enjoy.
ABOUT ROM GOVERNORS
Established in 1992 as the ROM Foundation, the office of ROM Governors is responsible for all philanthropic activities in support of the Museum’s highest priorities. Its work enables ROM to better serve its diverse and ever-changing community, by fostering long-term sustainable relationships of exceptional value both to the institution and its donors. The office of ROM Governors is supported by an independent Board which provides leadership in a wide range of philanthropic activities supporting ROM programs, research, collections, galleries, exhibitions, and outreach programs.
Our Mission: To be the top cultural foundation in Canada, inspiring support and ensuring long-term sustainability for the ROM.
Our Vision: Ensuring wonder and discovery at ROM for generations to come.
- Accountability: Responsible fundraising, transparent reporting.
- Engagement: Fostering relationships, inspiring support.
- Excellence: Leaders in best fundraising practices, exceeding expectations.
- Respect: Honouring contributions, working together.
Philanthropy has been at the heart of the ROM since its inception more than 100 years ago. Financial support, patronage, donations, and acquisitions helped establish the Museum and continue to be a crucial component of the ROM’s success today.
Learn more about how Canadians built Royal Ontario Museum.
- ROM Website
- Exhibitions & Galleries – ROM
- Collections & Research – ROM
- Toward Greater Inclusion and Equity at ROM
- Policies – ROM
- Ethics and Transparency – ROM
- Financial Statements 2021 – 2022
- Annual Report 2021 – 2022
- Year in Review 2022
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- With the AVP, Major and Leadership Gifts, and independently, craft personalized engagement plans that resonate with our donors’ passions and values, ensuring a seamless and rewarding giving experience, focusing on donors at the $100K – $999K level.
- Cultivate meaningful connections with donors, celebrate their contributions, and keep them informed and inspired by sharing the impact of their support.
- Create compelling and donor-centric communications, sharing inspiring stories that highlight the transformative power of donors’ contributions to the initiatives they care about.
- Identify potential partnerships and seek out opportunities for collaboration that align with donors’ interests and enhance the overall impact of their philanthropy.
- Ensure donor communications reflect ROM Governors values, express gratitude and are shared in a timely manner.
- Work collaboratively with and in support of leadership volunteers and other Museum representatives to carry out compelling and values-aligned donor engagement plans focused on advancing our shared vision.
- Develop authentic relationships with volunteers, engaging them as ambassadors, and working together to connect others to the transformative power of giving through art, culture, and nature.
- With an eye to achieving targets, work within a team of professionals, in support of ROM’s transformational campaign, embracing change, and pursuing innovation.
- Model best practices in collaboration and maintain a positive working environment with all internal audiences.
- Measure, monitor, and manage the overall performance of team members against set performance targets.
- Coach and motivate direct report(s) to achieve personal and team targets and program objectives.
- Ensure compliance with all regulations, policies, and ethical standards that pertain to fundraising.
- Personally engage and be familiar with all funding opportunities and levels of support, working collaboratively to maintain a positive environment with all internal audiences.
- Participate in additional events managed by other ROM Governors departments, as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS & KEY COMPETENCIES
- Minimum of three years experience with demonstrated success developing and implementing personalized donor engagement plans and securing five-figure gifts.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with a talent for engaging with donors authentically and compellingly.
- Passion for the arts, culture, and nature, with an ability to inspire others to share in that passion.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail, ensuring that donors receive timely and personalized communication.
- Ability to effectively strategize and engage various groups and constituents.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, business acumen, strategic aptitude, and sound judgment.
- Knowledge of the marketplace and donor base.
- Exceptional and proven oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to efficiently organize and manage a diverse range of assignments while meeting multiple deadlines, along with thorough attention to all details and consistent follow through.
- Resourcefulness and independence, while remaining comfortable working within the framework of a team-oriented environment.
- Competence in a variety of computer applications, including database, spreadsheet, and word processing programs.
- Experience using donor management fundraising software or CRM, with RE or RE NXT familiarity preferred.
- A flexible schedule which allows for multiple after-hours events and meetings.
ROM Governors recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
The selected candidate will be required to participate in a Criminal Background Check conducted via Profile Investigation Inc.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of ROM Governors. For more information about this opportunity please contact Jill Anderson, Senior Consultant, KCI Search + Talent by email at ROMSDO@kcitalent.com. All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com.
Interested candidates should send their resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by September 21, 2023. Note that we will be reviewing candidate submissions as they are received, and ROM Governors may choose to move forward with interviews before the deadline. Early submission is encouraged.
Diversity Statement: At ROM, we consider equity, diversity, and inclusivity foundational to our institutional success. We seek to foster a workplace that reflects the full breadth of the communities we serve and welcome applications from women, racialized persons/BIPOC, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, 2SLGBTQ+, and people with disabilities.
Accessibility Statement: ROM is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Upon request, suitable accommodations are available under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA) to applicants invited to an interview.