Reporting to the Associate Director, Major & Planned Giving, the Senior Development Officer, Major Giving will support the overall strategic objectives of the Major Gifts program while actively managing a portfolio of 125+ prospects and donors with the capacity for gifts of $5,000+ to the Foundation.
An experienced fundraiser, these responsibilities are accomplished while actively participating in a fast-paced, team environment with multiple priorities and competing deadlines. The Senior Development Officer, Major Giving will act as a champion for ensuring a best-in-class donor experience, and excellence in stewardship while working collaboratively with a passionate, results-oriented, and experienced team of professionals. Salary Range: $65,000 – $70,000
Posted On: May 17, 2023
Closing On: June 9, 2023
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $65,000 – $70,000
Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation (JBHF) is seeking a collaborative and dynamic self-starter to serve as our Senior Development Officer, Major Giving.
Contributing to a mission-focused and cooperative team environment, the Senior Development Officer, Major Giving will manage multiple priorities and competing deadlines while living the JBHF values: collaborative, inclusive, innovative, responsive and transparent, and team-designed culture code: accountable, collaborative, fun, and respectful.
Demanding, challenging and exciting, this role requires a motivated, energetic, and relationship-oriented individual with a demonstrated track record of successful major gift fundraising.
About Joseph Brant Hospital
Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH) is a full-service community teaching hospital located in the growing and thriving community of Burlington, Ontario, serving more than 185,000 residents in Halton, Hamilton, Waterdown, Flamborough, Milton, and Stoney Creek. It is honoured to be recognized as one of Hamilton Niagara’s Top Employers for seven (7) consecutive years, with a skilled staff of 194 physicians, 1,911 full-time and part-time staff and more than 700 volunteers.
JBH is a Clinical Education site in conjunction with McMaster University and is designated as an Academic Community Teaching Hospital. Its expanded campus includes the state-of-art Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower, featuring a new Emergency Department, 172 acute inpatient beds, 9 new Operating Rooms, and post-anaesthetic care unit to support expanded medical, surgical, and outpatient services. JBH is also a partner member of the Burlington Ontario Health Team.
About Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation
JBHF was founded in 1976 to support JBH. We are committed to engaging our community, inspiring investment in our Hospital, and making a difference in healthcare for our community. Our vision is to make a difference in our community, and through the generous giving of our supporters to provide an exceptional healthcare experience right here in Burlington.
The Our New Era Campaign in support of the new JBH surpassed its goal of $60M, raising an unprecedented $65M, enabling the incredible transformation of our Hospital, and having a tremendous impact on our community for generations to come.
With the successful conclusion of the capital campaign in 2019, we are poised to leverage the overwhelming support of the community to support new and emerging priorities which will continue to support our Hospital’s vision of providing exceptional healthcare.
The Foundation is governed by a team of community volunteer leaders and is managed by a dedicated staff of professionals who ensure that every donation is used effectively and efficiently to meet the needs of patients and their families.
- In association with the Associate Director, Major & Planned Giving, support the development, planning, and execution of the major & mid-level giving program revenue strategies
- Manage a personal portfolio of 125+ prospects and donors, moving prospects through the donor cycle with a focus on maximizing each donor’s journey
- Develop and implement cultivation and stewardship strategies for each prospective and current donor, including regular communication throughout the year
- Prepare proposals, briefing notes, and other documents in support of the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects and donors
- Conduct research for building a prospect list, identifying prospects, determining their capacity, and prioritizing them based on prospect’s interest and goals
- Work with colleagues to ensure major gift pledges, renewals, and other gift transactions are processed effectively and efficiently
- Maintain accurate, professional, and current records, actions, and reports, contributing to optimized database integrity (Raisers Edge NXT)
- Work with peers to champion collaboration across the team with a focus on optimizing and maximizing each donor’s journey, ensuring excellence in stewardship
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism, motivation, and superior work ethic consistent with the employment philosophy of the Foundation
- Liaise with Foundation and Hospital staff
- Provide excellence in volunteer support
- Perform other duties as required in furthering the goals of the Foundation
- Demonstrate a full commitment to the JBHF Values of Collaborative, Innovative, Responsive, and Transparent to ensure a great donor experience
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combinations of education and experience
- Minimum 5-7 years of recent fundraising experience
- Demonstrated success in the identification, cultivation, stewardship, and direct personal solicitation of major and mid-level gifts
- The capacity to work effectively and collaboratively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, build relationships, be articulate and engaging, and motivate prospective donors is essential for this position
- Demonstrated ability to set and achieve ambitious fundraising goals
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Creative and innovative with a high degree of professionalism and discretion
- Proven ability to think strategically and work independently in driving new initiatives or enhancing existing programs
- Excellent organization and time management skills to meet competing deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs and Raiser’s Edge fundraising software
- Aligned with JBHF’s values: Collaborative, Inclusive, Innovative, Responsive, and Transparent and JBHF’s culture code: Accountable, Collaborative, Fun, and Respectful
- Healthcare philanthropy experience is an asset
Compensation: $65,000 – $70,000, plus a comprehensive benefits package and eligibility for annual merit incentive.
Interested candidates should forward their cover letter and resume to:
Emma Fitzpatrick, Associate Director, Major & Planned Giving
Closing Date: June 9, 2023
This position is open to all Canadian citizens, permanent residents and those legally able to work in Canada. JBHF invites applications from all qualified individuals. JBHF is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
We acknowledge that the land on which Joseph Brant Hospital is situated is part of the Treaty lands and Territory of the Mississauga’s of the Credit. We acknowledge the responsibility to honour and respect the four directions, land, waters, plants, animals, ancestors that walked before us, and all the wonderful elements of creation that exist. We wish to respect and honour the Original Peoples of this land and the histories and lived experiences of these communities. It is our commitment to learn and unlearn, support reconciliation, and foster strong relationships as we operate on these traditional lands now and for generations to come.
This is a permanent, full-time, in-office position based in the JBHF offices located in the Halton McMaster Family Health Centre building at JBH, 1245 Lakeshore Road, Burlington, ON.
JBHF employees are required to attest to having COVID-19 vaccinations.
Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation thanks all applicants, however, will contact only those selected for an interview.