The Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts, is responsible for developing relationships with donors, prospects, corporations and volunteers to advance the mission of The Foundation of Guelph General Hospital to transform healthcare through giving.
They will actively research, cultivate, solicit and steward major gifts, with a focus on contributions of $10,000 and more. This position also provides strategic oversight to assigned projects, working closely with the Marketing, Communications and Annual Giving team to ensure a sustainable source of annual and major giving support for Guelph General Hospital.
Reporting to the CEO, the Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts, is a member of the senior manager group of The Foundation and along with the Senior Development Officer, Major and Planned Giving, plays a role in setting and executing major gift strategy. Fundraising requires a team approach. The success of the candidate in this position will be in part determined by their collaboration with colleagues across the Foundation and wider hospital. Salary Range: $72,500 – $89,000
Posted On: December 27, 2022
Closing On: January 27, 2023
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Experience: Senior
Salary Range: $72,500 – $89,000
Are you passionate about connecting with people, building community, and making positive change? Have you ever experienced the impact of compassionate healthcare? Do you want to play an important role in transforming healthcare for our Guelph-Wellington community now, and in the years to come?
If you have a track record of progressive experience in fundraising and are seeking a new challenge in the area of major gifts, please review and consider applying today for this position.
Together with Guelph General Hospital, we seek to create a healthier community for everyone. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line referencing the job title. Applications are encouraged on a rolling basis and prior to January 27, 2023.
Contact: Julie Byczynski
- Manages a portfolio made up of 75-100 individuals, corporations or foundations through moves management, conducting an average of 12-15 personal visits per month. Raise an average of $1M+ annually in gifts and pledges toward the overall Foundation goal.
- Ensures that all major gift activities are appropriately recorded for the purposes of reporting, tracking and knowledge-sharing.
- Contributes to the annual business planning processes for the Foundation and monitors benchmarks to ensure revenue growth and program success.
- Develops compelling cases for support and personalized opportunities for donor stewardship, connecting donors with the impact of their giving.
- Develops proposals, reports, day to day correspondence, acknowledgement, asks and presentations to secure or steward support.
- Serves as member of the Foundation manager group, participating in developing strategies to achieve organization-wide goals and provide leadership to the team.
- Identifies, researches and cultivates new potential donors and sponsors to grow and expand the diversity of our major gift pipeline.
- Works closely with senior volunteers, hospital leadership and other staff/physician partners to build lasting relationships with donors.
- Acts as an ambassador for the Foundation in the local community.
- With the manager group, devises strategy for future major gift projects and campaigns.
- Provides leadership for the Foundation team, and commits to living our organization values of collaboration, compassion, innovation, inclusivity and integrity.
- Sets annual goals for professional growth and development, in consultation with the CEO.
- Commits to staying abreast of community, non-profit and business trends and developments in order to inform our work, identify potential opportunities and keep up with best practices.
Required Experience and Skills*
- Excellent communication skills, especially written and oral presentation.
- Commitment to highest levels of professional standards and ethics, and knowledge of charitable regulations.
- Passion for transforming healthcare through giving and building relationships.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to work well under pressure, motivated by deadlines and measurable outcomes.
- Strong computer literacy and database experience. Knowledge of MS Office and Raiser’s Edge an asset.
- University degree preferred or an equivalent combination of training and experience; CFRE an asset.
- Preference for 5-10 years of progressive experience in fundraising, with a demonstrated track record of successfully securing gifts of $10,000 and up from individuals, corporations and/or foundations.
Desirable Attributes and Competencies
- Self-starter who can think strategically and with imagination, who possesses a good sense of humour along with the ability to inspire others.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of individual donors, corporations and other funding bodies in order to develop mutually beneficial relationships.
- Experience translating complex, scientific or institutional language into compelling cases for support.
- Track record working effectively in a fundraising environment with senior volunteers, board members and internal stakeholders.
- Experience with capital campaigns, healthcare sector and knowledge of the Guelph community are strong assets.
*Not everyone fits neatly into a box. We value new perspectives and skills that divergent experience brings. If you have transferrable skills from other areas, and feel you can make a meaningful contribution to our work, please apply.
What we offer:
Fast-paced, customer-service and mission-driven team environment. Significant amount of activity outside the office for meetings with donors, prospects and volunteers. Occasional evening or weekend work such as events. Hybrid work option for those who prefer it.
This is a regular full-time position, based on 37.5 hour of work, with the expectation that senior managers will flex their time to meet the shifting demands of the job to ensure a fulfilling balance of work/life.
Exact salary will be commensurate with skills and experience, and in accordance with internal equity and guidelines. An excellent benefit package including a defined benefit pension plan is included within a healthy and respectful workplace, which provides equal opportunities to people with disabilities.
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of patients, staff and our community from COVID-19, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, The Foundation of Guelph General Hospital requires that all staff have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada prior to their start date.