Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation provides vital funding to enable the best possible patient care. We inspire and motivate gifts that fund medical equipment and patient amenities, innovative research initiatives, essential redevelopment of clinical care spaces, and the education and training of health care providers.
As a registered charitable organization, we proudly support patients and families across south-central Ontario, and from outside the region, who receive specialized care at Hamilton Health Sciences including Hamilton General Hospital, Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital, and St. Peter’s Hospital. The associated programs at the Regional Rehabilitation Centre, McMaster University Medical Centre and Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre are also included. The Foundation is committed to the Donor Bill of Rights and to being a donor-centered organization. Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation is committed to protecting the privacy of our donors and prospects. We are proud to have been an early adopter of the Imagine Canada accreditation program.
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $70,000-75,000
Posted On: November 17, 2023
Closing On: December 8, 2023
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to: HHSFcareers@hhsc.ca
This is an exciting time to join Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation as we build upon a strong foundation of our Culture Code that includes the values of respect, impactful and inspiring. We believe that relationships and partnerships are the basis of excellence in fundraising and have a vision to see a community of inspired and committed donors who embrace It’s Vital to Care. Every position in The Foundation contributes to a safe, inclusive environment for all through compliance with The Foundation’s equity, diversity and inclusion philosophy and patient and staff safety policies and procedures.
Working within this value system the duties of the Senior Development Officer will include but not be limited to the description that follows.
Reporting to the Vice President, Development, the Senior Development Officer (Major Gifts) is a key member of the Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation development team, providing fundraising expertise to benefit our mission. This role champions private sector and community support with a focus on progressive relationships to the $25,000 and above level.
An experienced fundraising professional, the Senior Development Officer manages an assigned portfolio that could include philanthropic donations, corporate engagement, and partnership opportunities and is responsible for building strong and productive relationships to maximize revenue generation. This position is required to function independently, exercising a considerable amount of initiative, innovation and resourcefulness to enhance existing relationships and create new opportunities to achieve strategic and impactful outcomes to realize The Foundation’s goals.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
Fundraising & Relationship Management
- Champion our mission with regional community to identify and cultivate new opportunities to support our revenue generation goals
- Lead an assigned portfolio of donors to build engaged relationships that will yield longer term benefits, utilizing the expertise of the Vice President, Development, as needed
- Work collaboratively within the development teams and across The Foundation to ensure a seamless and donor-centred experience, internally and externally
- Work to achieve fundraising results consistent with the Foundation Guidelines on Expectations of Development Professionals and meet annual expectations for assigned portfolio of donors and prospects
- Create and implement strategic, progressive and productive moves management plans for assigned relationships
- With a focus on donor relations; engage, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects to support a culture of donors and community partners who feel connected, valued and informed
- In collaboration with VP, Development, co-ordinate case proposal development and support the VP, Development on campaign development and implementation
- Prepare compelling and strategic fundraising materials including, but not limited to, briefing notes, proposals, letters, reports, acknowledgements, speaking notes and impact updates
- Establish productive and meaningful relationships with hospital team, including physicians, medical professionals and leadership
- Champion the grateful patient referral program and productively cultivate and steward leads to facilitate philanthropic intentions.
- Maintain donor and prospect records including: entering and maintaining solicitation and donor information, call reports, up to date address and key contact information
- Ensure the tracking and fulfillment of pledges, donor recognition activities, receipting and timely acknowledgement
- Undertake prospect research, when required and apply for prospect clearance.
- Organize and coordinate cultivation and stewardship activities such as meetings, tours and events
- Respond to donor and volunteer requests, as required
- Manage assigned relationships within portfolio, including prompt response to inquiries and facilitate processes according to The Foundation’s policies and protocols
- Proactively build prospect pipeline through contacts identified from portfolio, the Foundations staff, grateful patient, donors and volunteers
- Develop and support significant and productive fundraising partnerships with corporations, service clubs, community groups and other associations
- Develop effective relationships with key stakeholders to enhance their engagement with The Foundation and enhance their affinity for our mission.
- Work with internal teams to identify and recruit volunteer leaders and hospital champions to advocate and support Foundation goals
- Provide and present information to groups to increase engagement with Foundation’s mission, vision and goals and speak with confidence about need and impact to prospective and current donor groups.
- Attend community events and cheque presentations, as required.
- Attend and participate, as required, at special events for the Foundation
- Act as an ambassador throughout the community, positively representing The Foundation
- Other projects, as appropriate.
Accountability: Direct: Vice President, Development
- HHSF Staff
- Hospital Staff
- Post-secondary education in business, event, communications, public relations or related field
- Certificate in development, fundraising or event planning an asset
- 5+ years of progressive fundraising experience, with demonstrated success, in the non-profit/charitable sector
- Demonstrated leadership within a team environment
- Experience facilitating relationships at the $25,000 plus giving level
Knowledge, Skill, Abilities:
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written), interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated superior organization, flexibility, and multi-tasking skills within a team environment
- High degree of initiative and ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize tasks in a positive and effective manner, meeting critical deadlines
- Ability to analyze results and make appropriate adjustments and recommendations
- Ability to manage relationships and motivate others to accomplish specific tasks
- Demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethical practice
- Demonstrated stakeholder relations to cultivate, build and maintain positive donor, prospect, and community relationships
- Ability to condense and package information in a visually appealing and logical manner
- Understand the need for professionalism, discretion and patience when communicating with donors and volunteers
- Accuracy and attention to detail is imperative
- Strong computer skills in utilizing Microsoft Office program (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and database management
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge/NXT fundraising software an asset
- Experience using social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram an asset
- Location of work is 1 King St. West, Hamilton ON and the Foundation will follow all public health guidelines with respect to COVID-19. HHSF team may be required to host donor meetings or events at Hamilton Health Science sites or other locations. Remote and Flex may be accommodated after three months of employment based on approval of VP.
Working Conditions and Mandatory Requirements
- Travel is required; the incumbent must possess a valid driver’s license and have use of a reliable vehicle as the position will visit various Hamilton Health Sciences sites, Foundation events, and corporate partner locations.
- The nature of the work is such that some evening and some weekend work is required.
- A Vulnerable Persons Police Check is a requirement of employment.
- Proof of full COVID vaccination is mandatory for employment with Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation in accordance with HHS policy.
Targeted Hiring Range:
The targeted hiring range for this position is between $70,000 and $75,000, commensurate with experience. HHSF provides a competitive benefit package and pension plan (HOOPP).
How to Apply: to help us learn more about you, please submit your resume and cover letter articulating why you are interested in working for Hamilton Health Science Foundation to HHSFcareers@hhsc.ca. Submissions are due by December 8th, 2023. If you do not have all qualifications, we are still interested in your application. Applications will be reviewed and invited for next stages of the recruitment process, as received. We would like to thank all who apply, but only those selected to move forward will be contacted.
Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. Our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion within HHSF reflects a belief that we will make the greatest impact to our mission when everyone can genuinely and fully participate without barriers or exclusion. We are dedicated to creating a workplace reflective of the community we live, work and serve and welcome applications from diverse and equity-deserving groups.
The Foundation is committed to providing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Accommodation, if requested, will be provided throughout the recruitment process in accordance with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should any candidate require accommodation in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact Heather Slye (905.521.2100 x 44624 or HHSFcareers@hhsc.ca) for assistance.