The Faculty of Engineering plays a key role in helping McMaster University earn its reputation as one of Canada’s most innovative and research-intensive universities. McMaster Engineering has a reputation for innovative programs, cutting-edge research, leading faculty, and aspiring students.
The Faculty of Engineering is seeking to fill the role of Senior Development Officer (16 month contract) to work closely with our Director, Development and our team of dedicated development professionals. Salary Range: $66,642 – $99,964
Posted On: April 18, 2023
Closing On: April 27, 2023
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Employment Type: Contract (16 months)
Job Experience: Junior
Salary Range: $66,642 – $99,964
McMaster University is consistently recognized as a world-class institution for teaching, research, and scholarship. We are ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and are Canada’s leading research-intensive university.
As one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, we are committed to advancing inclusive excellence and employment equity in the workplace. We encourage qualified candidates to apply from equity seeking groups such as women, racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with a disability, persons who identify in the LGBTQ+ community and others who reflect the diversity of Canadian society.
The Faculty is home to approximately 240 full-time staff members, 190 faculty members, along with 7,000 undergraduate, 1,000 graduate students enrolled across 18 academic departments, schools and programs. The Faculty attracts approximately $44 million in annual research funding in more than 20 research centres, institutes, and networks whose interdisciplinary pursuits cross departmental and Faculty boundaries. Outside the University, we collaborate regularly on research projects with partners in universities, government and more than 130 companies in Canada and abroad.
University Advancement at McMaster University is an integrated department that encompasses the areas of Development, Alumni Engagement, Stewardship, and Advancement Services & Operations, working collaboratively with McMaster’s Faculties and units across campus. These areas coordinate their activities and work as a team to build relationships, reputation, and resources on behalf of the University. Within University Advancement, McMaster’s Development team is an award-winning group with a collective will to achieve ambitious goals. The team is responsible for strengthening McMaster’s relationships,
Our vision is: Together, we enable McMaster to advance human and societal health and well-being.
Our mission is: Inspired by McMaster’s tradition of collaboration and innovation, we strengthen relationships, reputation, and resources in pursuit of our goal to be the best.
University Advancement’s approach to realizing our mission and vision reflects these core values and principles: Integrity, Quality, Respect, Service, Strategy and Teamwork.
Reporting to the Director, Development, the Senior Development Officer will be accountable for the following:
Strategic Planning and Relationship Development
- Demonstrating strategic thinking, focus, entrepreneurship, and
- Development and implementation of strategic
plans to build and maintain a competitive position for securing gifts and maximize giving opportunities for McMaster.
- Identify, build, and capitalize on unique and productive relationships with a focus on corporate donors and sponsors.
- As a key relationship builder, exceling in developing and maintaining strong relationships with existing and potential funders and supporters.
- Utilizing excellent
interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Using sound judgement, tact, and sensitivity to secure funds for a variety of University priorities and to move funders through the donor cycle from discovery through to stewardship.
Operations and Goal Setting
- Meeting ambitious financial and visit goals, set on an annual basis.
- Collaborating with team members to plan and execute successful fundraising strategies, while also taking individual ownership of specific financial and visit goals that contribute to the overall team objectives.
- Managing the day-to-day
operations of a diverse and significant funder and prospect portfolio and sustaining a program of donor stewardship activity. Developing business plans and action plans that are specific, flexible, and practical.
- Engaging in the regular evaluation of efficiency and results of plans, seeking input from colleagues, and sharing information of relevance to other fund-raising portfolios and activities.
- Conducting prospect research to identify new potential funders.
- Analyzing and evaluating individual and corporate financial information for the purpose of determining net worth and capacity for donating.
- Experience working with databases and in writing proposals is also
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study.
- Relevant experience securing gifts and/or sponsorships with corporate and industrial partners
- Experience in strategy development and implementation
- Demonstrated experience meeting individual and team financial and activity goals
- Demonstrated experience closing complex, major gifts (>$25,000)
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and negotiation skills
- High degree of professionalism, excellent judgement and decision-making abilities, as well as tact and sensitivity
- Strong organizational skills and integrated approach
- Strong computer skills and experience with databases
- Time-management and multi-tasking abilities
- Knowledgeable about McMaster University policies and guidelines; and University Advancement policies and procedures
What McMaster offers:
McMaster University has a market-driven total rewards package including a comprehensive benefits plan, including expanded mental health benefit entitlement, health spending account, retirement savings plans, vacation, professional development fund and tuition assistance. Our total rewards package attracts, develops and retains our outstanding workforce.
As a member of The Management Group (TMG), the successful candidate will be provided with a highly competitive Total Rewards Program which includes:
- Hybrid work arrangements and flexible working hours to promote employee wellbeing Industry-leading paid time off (vacation, personal management days, and holiday closure)
- Generous salary range with annual performance pay and merit-informed salary review processe
- Comprehensive benefits package (physical health, mental health, dental, vision) and Group RRSP
- Top-up for pregnancy and parental leaves
- Annual professional development allowance as well as Tuition Assistance Program
How to Apply:
To apply for this job, please submit your application online at https://hr.mcmaster.ca/careers/work-at-mcmaster/
Employment Equity Statement:
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and within the lands protected by the “Dish With One Spoon” wampum agreement.
The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity.
The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially welcomes applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
As part of McMaster’s commitment, all applicants are invited to complete a confidential Applicant Diversity Survey through the online application submission process. The Survey questionnaire requests voluntary self-identification in relation to equity-seeking groups that have historically faced and continue to face barriers in employment. Please refer to the Applicant Diversity Survey – Statement of Collection for additional information.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact:
•Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247), or
•Faculty of Health Sciences HR Office at ext. 22207, or
•School of Graduate Studies at ext. 23679
to communicate accommodation needs.
Vaccination Policy Statement:
The University is committed to providing and maintaining healthy and safe working and learning environments for all employees, students, volunteers and visitors. The University’s Vaccination Policy-COVID-19 Requirements for Employees and Students (the “Vaccination Policy”), requires all McMaster community members, including employees, accessing a McMaster campus or facility in person to be fully vaccinated or to have received an exemption from the University for a valid human rights ground. While the Vaccination Policy is currently paused, it may resume quickly and on short notice, as informed by public health advice and direction. Should it become necessary in future to resume the Policy, all community members will need to demonstrate compliance at that time. Successful applicants in those positions that work in host hospitals or other healthcare sites that have active vaccination mandates in place will need to comply with these and any other health and safety measures necessary as part of their appointment. The University will continue to follow the guidance of public health organizations to define fully vaccinated status.
Hybrid Work Language:
To ensure an ongoing and vibrant University community that meets the needs of our students, staff and faculty and supports the University mission, ability to work on-site continues to be a requirement for most University positions. The University is supportive of exploring flexible work arrangements that effectively balance operational needs and employee interests.