Due to the retirement of the current incumbent after 13 years of service, we are seeking a new President & CEO to lead the Foundation in its next phase of growth and success. Reporting to the Chair of the Foundation Board, and working in close partnership with Board members, leadership volunteers, and Hospital partners, the President & CEO will be responsible for the overall strategic leadership of the Foundation.
In collaboration with senior Foundation staff, the President & CEO will scale and grow the organization significantly both in fundraising as well as operations, including people, processes, and technology. This will include the implementation of a new brand platform and campaign, and a new major fundraising campaign.
Salary Range: $300,000 – $400,000
Posted On: December 2, 2022
Closing On: January 11, 2023
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $300,000 – $400,000
The President & CEO will oversee the development and implementation of the annual business plan, ensuring that the Foundation continues to obtain significant support from community sources, including individuals, corporations and granting foundations. The President & CEO will provide leadership, energy, and encouragement to staff, volunteers, and partners as we collectively drive the planning and execution of a significant new fundraising campaign to support Hospital development and expansion.
ABOUT NORTH YORK GENERAL HOSPITAL
North York General Hospital (NYGH) is one of Canada’s leading community academic hospitals. We offer our culturally diverse community a wide range of acute care, ambulatory, and long-term care services across our seven sites. Through partnerships, collaboration, and academic endeavours, we set new standards for people-centred care. Working together with our patients and their families, we are making a world of difference.
The hospital partners with 36 different academic institutions, including the University of Toronto, to prepare future physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals to work in interprofessional teams, providing essential care in a community hospital setting. NYGH programs are the training site for four core clerkship programs, and we provide a site for core rotations to 22 different U of T Residency Programs. Over 300 North York General physicians have faculty appointments at the University of Toronto. Each year, 1,200 nursing students come here to learn and develop their clinical skills.
Since 1968, we have provided an exceptional care experience for our patients and their families and have proudly served our diverse communities in North Toronto and beyond. Our staff, physicians, and volunteers have a history of transforming health care to better serve our patients. We are leaders who adopt the most innovative health information technology, strategists who carefully chart patient flow and find ways to reduce wait times, and visionaries who dream of, and work towards, the ideal patient experience. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest care. We put our patients first in everything we do.
AREAS OF CARE
North York General Hospital provides a wide range of acute care, ambulatory and long-term care services at multiple sites. We provide an exceptional care experience for patients and their families. Everyone’s role at our hospital contributes to our shared purpose of providing people-centred care.
At North York General, our team provides care with respect, integrity, excellence, and compassion.
- Respect: We embrace the strength in our diversity and treat everyone with respect and dignity.
- Integrity: Every day, we act in a professional and ethical manner.
- Excellence: We strive to achieve better outcomes in everything we do, collaborating with patients, families, and partners.
- Compassion: We provide an exceptional care experience to our patients and their families with empathy, sensitivity and understanding.
- Collaboration:We believe we are stronger together, working with our partners to improve the health of everyone we care for.
ABOUT NORTH YORK GENERAL FOUNDATION
Exceptional care requires exceptional support. At North York General Foundation, we know this to be true, which is why we are grateful to every one of our supporters who understand the central role that North York General plays in caring for our community.
At the Foundation, our mission is to raise and steward funds that enable North York General to deliver exceptional health care to our diverse communities. The Foundation supports our hospital’s most urgent needs, including equipment replacement and upgrades, capital projects, and funding our applied research institute and educational awards.
We also look beyond the needs of the day-to-day and seek to invest in programs and infrastructure that will transform how our hospital delivers care and how this improved care can be replicated and scaled across Canada. We are fortunate to have eager and willing partners in the hospital who work with us to identify needs and priorities, explain these to potential donors, and help us to tell stories about the hospital’s amazing impact on the community and people it serves.
Thanks to the support of our generous community, the hospital has achieved substantial capital growth across the hospital sites, including:
- New outpatient clinics have opened to better meet the needs of our diverse and growing community, including Phillips House and Maddie’s Healing Garden for child and adolescent mental health, which is home to one of the largest hospital-based eating disorder programs in southern Ontario.
- A Specialty Care Clinic that houses our Total Joint Assessment Centre, Hand Therapy Clinic and Minor Procedures Clinic.
- The Karen, Heather & Lynn Steinberg Breast Centre – The breast cancer care program once again received full accreditation in 2020 from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), administered by the American College of Surgeons. After the initial accreditation in 2016, it remains the only accredited breast cancer program in Canada.
- The new Baruch/Weisz Cancer Centre houses the Anne Tanenbaum Chemotherapy Clinic and BMO Oncology Assessment and Support Services. Patients in our community facing the uncertainty of a life-changing cancer diagnosis can now get the care they need, and all in one location.
- The Steinberg Family Paediatric Centre is a hospital within a hospital designed specifically for children — newborns up to age 18. It is a place of comfort and healing for children and grandchildren across many diverse communities.
What’s Next: 2023 and Beyond
This is an exciting point in time at the Hospital and Foundation as we plan ahead for some exciting growth and changes. NYGH’s Strategic Plan, Thinking Beyond will see the Hospital transforming and expanding our buildings to provide healing environments, an outstanding patient experience, and the highest quality of care for patients and families.
In partnership with the Government of Ontario, the NYGH Foundation and our generous donors, we are embarking on our largest expansion since the hospital opened more than 50 years ago.
Investing in a Better Tomorrow includes plans for a New Patient Care Tower and a new Seniors’ Care Home.
The New Patient Care Tower (anticipated to open in 2029/30) will add 110 new inpatient beds for a total of 535 beds on the General site, to serve our communities for generations to come. Our expanded hospital will transform health care in our community including:
- An expanded and modern emergency department.
- 100% private patient rooms within the tower to promote privacy, safety and dignity of patients, families, and caregivers.
- Brand new and expanded ICU, NICU, Labour & Delivery Unit, Women’s Health, surgical suites, mental health services and other high-demand services.
The landmark new Seniors’ Care Home built right on our site will be one of the largest in Toronto and among the first designed using our insights from the pandemic. The home will be fully integrated with the hospital to provide residents with full access to emergency and specialty services and NYGH’s large family medicine team. It will also be connected to an array of seniors’ services including our well-known Freeman Centre for the Advancement of Palliative Care, Geriatric Mental Health, rehab services and many other seniors-specific clinics for residents and the community.
The new home will be built with our many communities in mind, with special focus on culturally diverse programming, resources and food. Planning is well underway, and the home is expected to open before 2027 with the Foundation contributing $15M.
In addition to these, the Foundation is engaged in fundraising for other high priority needs such as the redevelopment of our Birthing Centre ($32M) , critical upgrades to our Adult Mental Health Inpatient Unit ($1.4M) and new technology in our nuclear medicine department. The Foundation will be supporting and working with the Hospital to make these projects a reality, as well as continuing with fundraising efforts for equipment needs, and to support ongoing excellence in community-based, applied research, innovation, and education. With this in mind, the Foundation has recently engaged in major campaign planning, including a capacity assessment and financial forecasting.
For more information, about the Hospital and Foundation, please visit these links:
- North York General Hospital
- North York General Foundation
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES of the PRESIDENT & CEO
Strategic & Operational Leadership
- Work with the Senior Leadership Team, Director, Campaigns and the Board to develop and implement Strategic, Business and Campaign Plans, in conjunction with the Hospital’s strategic funding priorities
- Collaborate with the Senior Leadership Team and Director, Campaigns in the development, execution, monitoring and evaluation of all fundraising initiatives, including the planning of a major new campaign initiative
- Liaise with the Hospital Board of Governors, its CEO, senior staff and physicians in order to define financial requirements, sources of funding (government grants, corporations, Foundations and individuals) and lead the Foundation to develop fundraising strategies and plans in order to meet the Hospital’s needs
- Work closely with the Chief Financial and Chief Information Officers to support data-informed decisions by the Board and the staff team
- Along with members of the Senior Leadership Team, develop the Foundation’s operating budget and financial targets including benchmarks, performance measures and risk assessment
- Provide oversight to ensure that Foundation operations are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and in fulfillment of the Foundations’ mission, vision and values
- Provide ongoing leadership and mentorship to the staff team, ensuring that staff have clarity on goals and objectives, and feel supported and encouraged to achieve and exceed these goals
- Ensure a culture of inclusivity and belonging exists and is maintained at all levels in the Foundation, providing training, support, and a learning environment for staff and volunteers alike
- Work with the Senior Leadership Team to champion diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, and to develop and manage the Foundation’s human resources plan to meet the Foundation’s objectives
- Work with and support the Senior Leadership Team to develop effective ongoing recruitment, onboarding, coaching, and retention practices for staff and volunteers
- Establish performance measures and expectations with all direct reports that are aligned with the overall goals of the Foundation, and ensure they do the same with their direct reports
- With the Senior Leadership team and the Board, oversee the annual performance review and learning plan development for all employees and volunteers
- Lead by example in demonstrating a commitment to ongoing learning and professional/personal development
- Maintain active involvement in key professional associations in order to ensure that the Foundation is seen as a career destination for potential team members
Fundraising & Donor Relations
- Work with the Chief Development Officer and fundraising team to continue to implement effective diversified fundraising programs that meet annual and longer-term campaign goals
- In partnership with the Director, Campaigns and Campaign Consultant, develop a Campaign Plan for the new tower
- Actively and strategically engage with donors, with focused attention on a ‘targeted top 30’
- Work closely with leadership volunteers and hospital partners to engage with donors
- Encourage and support staff and volunteers in new revenue development
- Provide oversight for and participate in stewardship of major donors
- Work with the Chief Marketing & Communications Officer to ensure inspirational messaging to engage the broader community, and to integrate key messaging into all fundraising and donor communications
- Ensure that donors and prospects are managed with absolute respect for the long term good of the Hospital and ensure that the Foundation’s role as trustee of donors’ funds is fully understood and respected by all relevant partners
- Establish and maintain a sense of trust, ownership and partnership with donors, community groups, corporations and other key audiences
- Learn about and engage with diverse community groups in order to increase the sense of belonging with the Foundation
- Play an active role in community engagement and external relations to help support excellent brand awareness
- In partnership with the Foundation staff and volunteers, develop and maintain strong community linkages with relevant businesses and corporations, community groups, media, and the public
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the Foundation Board of Governors and other key Foundation volunteers
- Provide or ensure staff assistance to the Board, Executive Committee, and other committees as directed and needed by the Board
- Participate as a member of the Hospital’s senior management team to ensure strategic alignment and communications between the two organizations
- Participate in and hold the Foundation accountable for the actions of the Hospital and Foundation’s Joint Priorities and Planning Committee, as stipulated in the Memorandum of Understanding
- Actively engage in partnership with Hospital Leadership, physicians, program directors, and other senior staff on strategy and interaction with previous and potential donors
- Contribute to the articulation of the Hospital’s identity, mission and vision, and lead the Foundation in the communication of this vision to constituents and the community
- Participate in the Hospital’s Master Planning exercises and facilitate the Foundation’s role in Master Planning committees by acting as a liaison, representative, information resource
- Ensure regular communication with the Hospital regarding the Foundation’s responsibilities for capital redevelopment and other priorities which require philanthropic support
- Support the Hospital in stakeholder engagement as needed
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
Strategic & Operational Leadership
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet progressive strategic goals for self and team
- Strong strategic and business acumen, and experience applying sound business practices and data driven decisions in order to ensure effective operations
- Fiscally responsible, with a solid understanding of financial management, budget preparation, and related reporting
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion as it relates to team leadership, volunteer and donor engagement, and hospital partnership
- Previous experience serving in a senior leadership role, working effectively as part of a high-functioning leadership team
- Reputation as a strong culture-builder and people leader who has demonstrated success in building, leading, engaging, and getting the best out of teams
- Demonstrated ability to delegate to and support a high-performing leadership team
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including demonstrated support for DEI initiatives as a senior leader
Fundraising & Donor Relations
- Significant progressive professional experience in fundraising and major donor development
- Demonstrated familiarity with best practices in fundraising and donor relations
- Proven track record of successful major gift fundraising, and in collaboration and partnership with team members, volunteers, and hospital colleagues
- Previous significant involvement in a major campaign undertaking, including planning and execution
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to engage donors in order to optimize fundraising efforts
- Strong understanding of marketing and communications, and the importance of aligning messaging and brand with the Hospital in a manner that captures the interest of donors and the community
- Reputation and aptitude for dealing professionally with a broad cross section of donors and Hospital and Foundation representatives
- Successful track record working with leadership volunteers and volunteer teams, including engagement with Boards, fundraising committees, and/or campaign cabinets
- Demonstrated experience in working proactively, productively, and collaboratively with Hospital leadership, physicians, and staff to achieve common goals
- Ability to relate in a mature and understanding manner in a highly sensitive and confidential environment with a variety of people
REQUIRED PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Leadership – Manages astutely with diplomacy and tact
- Forward Strategic Thinking – Develops new and innovative ways or adapts existing ideas to help achieve desired results; thinks beyond the current situation to anticipate changes that may affect the future of the organization; has the courage to generate leading-edge innovative solutions
- Integrity – Interacts with others in a way that gives confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization; demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards
- Inclusive – Personally and professionally committed to equity and inclusion, both at the Foundation and in society as a whole
- Commitment – To build to community and its welfare and a desire to make a difference
- Relationship Builder – A gifted, sophisticated relationship builder with executive presence in both the public and private sectors
- Customer Focus – Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; develops and sustains productive customer relationships
- Results-Oriented – The ability to manage and lead to achieve and exceed identified goals
- Enthusiastic and Positive – Encourages constructive discussions that lead to positive outcomes
- Stress Tolerance – Maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition; handles stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization
- Ego in Check – Enjoys leading from behind and finding solutions through others
- Conflict Management – Deals effectively with others in a difficult situation using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to reduce tension of conflict between two or more people
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this leadership search on behalf of North York General Foundation. For more information about this Foundation leadership opportunity, please contact Tara George or Ellie Rusonik at KCI Search + Talent via email at NYGF@kcitalent.com.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. In recognition of this, Search Committee members have all signed confidentiality documents, and have committed to the highest levels of privacy for candidates.
Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by January 11, 2023.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
The target hiring range for this position is a salary starting at $300,000 – $400,000. Compensation also includes potential incentive/performance pay of up to 20%, plus benefits and pension.
At North York General Foundation, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General Foundation is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.