President and CEO, Burlington Foundation
(hybrid work opportunity)
Since 1999, individuals, organizations and corporate donors have chosen Burlington Foundation (aka the Burlington Community Foundation) to connect their charitable gifts to thousands of community members.
As your partner in giving, the Foundation understands how important it is to know a gift of any size can make a real difference. Each and every day, we collaborate with key leaders, agencies and other organizations to ensure grant donations directly impact people’s lives and address important community needs.
The Foundation impacts many people in the community: a widowed senior rediscovers laughter and friendship at a community centre; a child from a low-income family puts on a jersey and learns how awesome it is to be part of a team; a 15-year-old struggling with mental health issues anticipates their future with newfound optimism. Meaningful ways donors can leave their mark on the community.
We currently manage over $23.4 million in assets, steward 107 charitable funds and have distributed more than $6.4 million in grants in Burlington and the surrounding area since inception. We do all this to advance the quality of life in Burlington, so that our community can be the very best in Canada.
President and CEO, Burlington Foundation
Burlington Foundation is seeking a new President and CEO to assume the position when their long-time President and CEO retires in December 2022.
The President and CEO is responsible for providing strategic leadership for Burlington Foundation by working with the Board of Directors to establish long-term goals, strategies, operating plans, and policies that fulfill its mission. The President and CEO is responsible for the administration of comprehensive programs and investment management, direct community relations, all major and planned gifts, and fundraising efforts.
Deeply motivated by Burlington Foundation’s core values, mission, collaborative nature and community accountability, the President and CEO serves as ambassador at-large for the Foundation and must demonstrate professional ethics and always perform to the Foundation’s professional standards.
What You Bring to the Foundation
Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a relevant senior leadership role
- Advanced knowledge of the non-profit charitable sector and its regulatory framework
- Strong leadership skills, strategic thinker, charismatic, engaging and confident
- Demonstrated success in driving organizational growth through effective and strategic and operational planning, donor and partner stewardship, and consistent, mission driven branding
- Directly responsible for securing major and planned gifts, and in stewarding donors, fundholders and partners
- Solid understanding of governance and experience working with a Board of Directors
- Experience managing operating budgets to positive outcomes
- Strong communication and leadership skills with a track record of inspiring and galvanizing others towards a shared goal
- A strategic thinker who can conceptualize and communicate ideas with clarity
- Knowledge of grant making, including ethical, regulatory, and legal issues
- As an inclusive leader, you have experience successfully engaging with diverse communities
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field (business, business development, non-profit management)
- Life-long learner with notable continuing education in philanthropic organizations (AFP, CAGP, Community Foundations of Canada)
- In-depth knowledge of the Burlington community
- Experience building endowments within a Foundation environment
- Live and/or work within Burlington/Halton Region
Burlington Foundation offers you
- A market-based remuneration package, including a benefit plan, salary of $135,000 – $150,000 (commensurate with experience)
- An office in Burlington that serves as the Foundation’s premises; with the opportunity to work from home several days a month (based on activity, deadlines, etc.)
- A strong, knowledgeable and committed Board of Directors who know and understand the Burlington community
- A small but seasoned staff who are committed and experienced in their fields of expertise
This search is being conducted on behalf of the Burlington Foundation by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting non-profit and charitable professionals for Canada’s non-profit sector.
To submit your application by July 25, 2022, please visit https://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/
Select the role and ‘Apply’ to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents.
Issues with applying? Please email email@example.com.
For more information about the position, please contact Janice Wooster at 416-388-4049 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we’d be pleased to connect with them.