The philanthropy team has an exceptional new leader; this role reports to the new Chief Development Officer Elain Evans. Elain’s experience in large campaigns, strategic planning, volunteer management, and leveraging predictive analytics will be essential for the Foundation’s growth. Importantly, Elain has a reputation for being an empowering leader who fosters a collaborative team culture.
This is an exciting time to join NYGF and work with our high-performing team who are committed to supporting the exceptional care our hospital provides to our diverse communities across the GTA. North York General Hospital is one of Newsweek’s top 5 hospitals in Canada and among the top 100 globally.
Constantly redefining what it means to be a ‘community hospital’, our partner, North York General is a multi-site acute, ambulatory, and long-term care network for our diverse community, an incubator for applied research, a springboard for innovation in the health care landscape, and a destination for philanthropy. Supported by an outstanding board of governors, North York General Foundation is strategically expanding our team in philanthropy, events, business intelligence, and donor analytics in pursuit of new ways to reach our community, demonstrate impact, and raise funds for an incredible Hospital.
Over the next year, we are committed to raising funds for the new Seniors’ Health Centre, a redeveloped Post Partum Unit, applied research and a multitude of other program and equipment needs across the organization. At the same time, we are planning for a Campaign, which will support the largest expansion in our hospital’s history.
With a passion for healthcare philanthropy, the Manager, Planned Giving will be a self-starter who thrives equally well in a work from home setting and a traditional office environment.
ABOUT NORTH YORK GENERAL HOSPITAL
North York General Hospital (NYGH), affiliated with the University of Toronto, is one of Canada’s leading community academic hospitals. We offer our culturally diverse community a wide range of acute care, ambulatory, and long-term care services across multiple sites. Through partnerships, collaboration, and academic endeavours, we seek to set new standards for patient- and family-centred care. Working together with our patients and their families, we are making a world of difference.
We provide an exceptional care experience for our patients and their families and have proudly served our diverse communities in North Toronto, and beyond, since 1968.
The hospital partners with 36 different academic institutions, including the University of Toronto, to prepare future physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals to work in interprofessional teams, providing essential care in a community hospital setting. NYGH programs are the training site for four core clerkship programs, and we provide a site for core rotations to 22 different University of Toronto Residency Programs. Over 300 North York General physicians have faculty appointments at the University of Toronto. Each year, 1,200 nursing students come here to learn and develop their clinical skills.
Our staff, physicians, and volunteers have a history of transforming health care to better serve our patients. We are leaders who adopt the most innovative health information technology, strategists who carefully chart patient flow and find ways to reduce wait times, and visionaries who dream of, and work towards, the ideal patient experience. From boardroom to bedside, we go above and beyond to offer the best and safest care. We put our patients first in everything we do.
Areas of Care
North York General Hospital provides a wide range of acute care, ambulatory and long-term care services at multiple sites. Our goal is to provide an exceptional care experience for our patients and their families. Everyone’s role at our hospital contributes to our shared purpose of providing patient- and family-centred care.
- Cancer Care
- Family Medicine
- Laboratory Medicine
- Medical Imaging
- Mental Health
- Emergency Care
- Maternal, Newborn and Paediatric Care
- Medicine and Elder Care
- Palliative Care
Our team provides care with respect, integrity, excellence, and compassion.
Respect: We embrace the strength in our diversity and treat everyone with respect and dignity.
Integrity: Every day, we act in a professional and ethical manner.
Excellence: We strive to achieve better outcomes in everything we do, collaborating with patients, families, and partners.
Compassion: We provide an exceptional care experience to our patients and their families with empathy, sensitivity and understanding.
ABOUT NORTH YORK GENERAL FOUNDATION
Our mission is to raise and steward funds that enable North York General to deliver exceptional health care to our diverse communities.
Exceptional care requires exceptional support. At North York General Foundation, we know this to be true, which is why we are grateful to every one of our supporters who understand the central role that North York General plays in caring for our community.
The Foundation supports our hospital’s most urgent needs, including equipment replacement and upgrades, capital projects, and funding our applied research institute and educational awards. We look beyond the needs of the day to day and seek to invest in programs and infrastructure that will transform how our hospital delivers care and how this improved care can be replicated and scaled across Canada.
Thanks to the support of our generous community, the hospital has achieved substantial capital growth across the hospital sites, including:
- New outpatient clinics have opened to better meet the needs of our diverse and growing community, including Phillips House and Maddie’s Healing Garden for child and adolescent mental health, which is home to one of the largest hospital-based eating disorder programs in southern Ontario.
- Specialty Care Clinic that houses our Total Joint Assessment Centre, Hand Therapy Clinic and Minor Procedures Clinic.
- The Karen, Heather & Lynn Steinberg Breast Centre. The breast cancer care program once again received full accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), administered by the American College of Surgeons. After the initial accreditation in 2016, it remains the only accredited breast cancer program in Canada.
- Last year, the new Baruch/Weisz Cancer Centre, which houses the Anne Tanenbaum Chemotherapy Clinic and BMO Oncology Assessment and Support Services opened. Patients in our community facing the uncertainty of a life-changing cancer diagnosis can now get the care they need, close to home and all in one location.
- In November 2020, the Steinberg Family Paediatric Centre officially opened. This is a hospital within a hospital designed specifically for children — newborns up to age 18. It is a place of comfort and healing for the children and grandchildren of this community.
For more information about North York General Hospital and its Foundation, please visit:
- North York General Hospital
- North York General Foundation
- Foundation Board of Governors
- Covid-19 Response
- Annual Reports and Financial Statements
- Ways to Donate
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement the annual Planned Giving program business plan, in collaboration with the Chief Development Officer.
- Manage a portfolio of 80-100 planned giving prospects and donors in a manner that ensures consistent growth and maintains a high standard of relationship management.
- Employ tactics such as cold calling and donor visits to build the prospect pipeline cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors in a manner that increases revenue according to pre-defined targets.
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing and Communications team to lead and coordinate planned giving mailings and communications through digital and traditional means.
- Act as an internal resource on gift and estate planning for other Foundation staff and volunteers and work cross functionally to identify and develop new Planned Giving prospects.
- Manage the estate portfolio including tracking, scheduling, and reporting on the status of estates under administration.
- Manage relationships with financial planning professionals including estate trustees, lawyers, and family members to ensure the smooth and timely execution of estate plans.
- Consult with advisors with respect to Gift & Estate Planning issues on behalf of the Foundation.
- Proactively engage with experts in the insurance and investment sectors to identify new opportunities for NYGF and to bring planned giving options forward to prospects.
- Support and execute annual campaigns to acquire current planned gifts.
- Support the strategy related to the stewardship and continued cultivation of existing planned giving donors in conjunction with the Donor Experience team.
- Ensure data integrity of Raisers Edge by entering actions accurately and in a timely manner to support the measurement of key performance indicators.
Relationship & Alliance Building:
- Build, develop, and maintain effective and mutually beneficial partnerships with key stakeholders within NYGH and the Foundation, building awareness and gaining support to further the goals and objectives of the Planned Giving and Foundation programs and the organization as a whole.
- Attend and participate at various Foundation recognition and fundraising events to support planned and other Foundation giving.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Progressive non-profit experience, with a proven track record soliciting and closing planned gifts, ideally within a hospital, education, or other complex setting.
- Strong relationship building skills with experience working with diverse groups including donors, senior volunteers, financial planning professionals and Foundation and Hospital staff.
- Thorough understanding of major and planned giving fundraising with direct experience interacting and cultivating major and planned giving donors, volunteers, and industry representatives.
- Knowledgeable on planned giving trends, tax implications of planned gifts and legislation.
- Excellent communications skills including superior verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and interact in the utmost professional manner.
- Strong customer service-oriented approach that demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism, confidentiality, and sensitivity complemented by excellent organizational and time management abilities.
- High level user with a well-developed understanding of database systems and analytics, ideally Raiser’s Edge.
- Passion for healthcare philanthropy, North York General Hospital, and its leadership role in the Greater Toronto Area.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of North York General Foundation. For more information about this Foundation leadership opportunity, please contact Helena Debnam, Senior Consultant or Ellie Rusonik, Vice President by email at NYGFMPG@kcitalent.com
To view full position brief, please visit www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by July 18, 2022.
The target hiring range for this position is $90,000 – $115,000
At North York General Foundation, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General Foundation is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.