In our work, at the department of Alumni Affairs and Development, we advance the mission of the University of Guelph by building lifelong relationships with our community: alumni, donors, and friends. Our vision is for the University to be personally relevant in the lives of our community members. Through these relationships, we amplify the impact of philanthropy to create unique solutions for the challenges facing our world. As a member of this campus-wide team, you’ll epitomize the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation, and forward focus.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Legacy Giving, you will be responsible for legacy giving fundraising (gifts in wills and estates), with the expectation that you will personally confirm 10 legacy gifts annually. As Manager of Legacy Giving and Stewardship, you will work to secure future revenue with an external audience, including alumni, donors and friends of the University of Guelph, through donor qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
Salary Range: $64,806-$97,208
Posted On: June 16, 2023
Closing On: July 30, 2023
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $64,806-$97,208
Your responsibilities will include:
- Undertaking complex legacy giving (planned giving) discussions with donors, friends, and alumni to promote legacy giving as a means to achieve the University of Guelph’s fundraising priorities and create future revenue for the University while creating a legacy for donors on campus.
- Managing a robust pipeline of 75+ University-wide donor relationships with individuals interested in confirming a new legacy gift to benefit the University of Guelph.
- Completing a minimum of 8 to 10 in-person meetings per month with legacy giving prospects.
- Building and executing strategies to manage personalized connections with donors requesting information about legacy giving.
- Creating and delivering new and innovative strategies to engage historically identified legacy giving leads and new leads that fit a legacy giving profile.
- Providing an exceptional level of service to donors with these complex and sensitive conversations.
- Connecting with lawyers, financial advisors, and estate planners to discuss their clients’ plans.
The University is currently stewarding confirmed deferred gift expectancies from over 600 donors, with deferred/future gift expectancies currently valued at over $90 million. As a result, you will be responsible for the following:
- Personal Stewardship – Assume stewardship assignment of top confirmed legacy giving donors with the goal of deepening the donors’ relationship with the University, increasing the estate gift value, and exploring in-life giving opportunities.
- Mass Stewardship – Create innovative stewardship outreach, including mass mailings and events, for identified members of the J.D. MacLachlan Society, including VIP members with gifts of $250,000+.
- Documentation – Ensuring accurate documentation for legacy giving conversations.
To assume the role of Manager, Legacy Giving and Stewardship, you should be an experienced fundraiser and exceptional relationship builder with a profile that includes:
- A university degree along with five (5) years’ fundraising experience, with a proven track record in legacy/estate giving fundraising, ideally in a higher education setting.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation, preferred.
- Familiarity with CAGP (Canadian Association of Gift Planners) and the resources, training, and guidelines they provide, preferably with attendance in CAGP courses: Gift Planning Fundamentals and/or Original Canadian Gift Planning Course.
- Extensive knowledge of legacy giving, the complex gift vehicles, and the tax consequences of these gifts.
- University or other public sector fundraising experience, with a proven track record of success securing legacy gifts and other philanthropic gifts.
- High levels of emotional intelligence and empathy during delicate conversations and ability to navigate emotional conversations with sensitivity.
- Awareness of death literacy and the psychology of legacy giving.
- Superior interpersonal communications skills, including effective relationship-building
- Ability to think and act quickly and effectively under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion, and good judgment.
- Proven ability to interact effectively with lawyers, financial advisors, and other experts who are involved with legacy gifts.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication and analytical skills.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of programs.
- Ability to multi-task.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the role of Manager, Legacy Giving and Stewardship, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/hr/careers. Applications, quoting Hiring #2023-0325, must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to the further diversification of our Institution.