The Manager, Development is a new position based out of Canada’s Global Nexus for Pandemics and Biological Threats (“Global Nexus”) within McMaster University’s Faculty of Health Sciences. Global Nexus is an ambitious institutional strategic priority that builds on more than 15 years of McMaster’s world-leading expertise in infectious disease, antimicrobial resistance, pandemics and preparing for the biological threats we may face in the future.
McMaster University is seeking an entrepreneurial and highly motivated Manager, Development to drive annual philanthropic revenue for Global Nexus. As a skilled relationship manager, the Manager, Development will employ a collaborative and service-oriented approach to their work, developing relationships with internal and external stakeholders with the primary goal of securing major gifts with a focus on gifts of $250,000 and larger. Salary Range: $84,176 – $126,264
Posted On: April 28, 2023
Closing On: May 21, 2023
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Employment Type: Contract
Salary Range: $84,176 – $126,264
Are you interested in supporting the prevention of the next global pandemic?
McMaster University is internationally recognized as a world-class institution for teaching, research and scholarship, with a distinctive vision to advance human and societal health and well-being. We are ranked among the top 100 universities in the world, as one of Canada’s top two most research-intensive universities, and as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers committed to advancing employment equity and reflecting the diversity of Canadian society in the workplace.
About the Position
Reporting jointly to the Associate Director, Development in the Faculty of Health Sciences and the Director of Operations for Global Nexus, the Manager, Development will be a strategic, innovative and goal-oriented fundraiser focused on identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding support for Global Nexus from a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects. Working closely with senior academic leaders, University Advancement leadership and key volunteers, the Manager, Development plays a lead role in developing and executing on campaign strategies for Global Nexus and reviewing the progress of activities underway.
Are You the Right Candidate?
As the ideal candidate, you have a proven track record of success in ideating and securing complex $250k+ current, estate, and blended gifts. Throughout your experience, you have been recognized for proactively developing partnerships as well as attracting and maintaining relationships with donors and supporters. You possess superior critical thinking, strategic planning and decision-making skills which you apply to your work alongside a goal-oriented approach and solid understanding of the Canadian philanthropic environment, associated legislation, and available charitable giving vehicles.
You are comfortable using your strong communication and interpersonal skills to develop and present compelling proposals and requests for philanthropic support. Throughout your career, you have developed a demonstrated understanding of strategic moves management, project management, volunteer management, and the management of complex relationships with donors, senior volunteers, administrative partners, and senior institutional leaders.
The Manager, Development will be accountable for a wide-ranging portfolio charged with advancing and enhancing the relationships, reputation and resources of Global Nexus through revenue generation and strategic moves management, annual planning and project management, as well as relationship, partnership and alliance building.
The Manager, Development will strategically engage and support senior internal leadership to secure and grow Global Nexus’ base of major supporters as well as to celebrate and steward these donors in a manner that inspires meaningful long-lasting relationships.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Progressive fundraising roles, preferably within a large and complex environment
- Proven success cultivating, soliciting and securing complex major, estate, and blended gifts of $250,000 and greater
- Demonstrated ability to apply critical analysis and strategic thinking to developing and executing annual plans
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders including donors, senior volunteers, administrative partners, and senior institutional leaders
- A team player who can effectively build cross functional relations to enhance revenue results
- Excellent communication skills including exceptional verbal, written and presentation skills
- High standard of professionalism, confidentiality, thoughtfulness, diplomacy and tact
- A strong sense of accountability to annual targets, booking meetings, and securing major gifts
- A forward-thinking approach to work that anticipates obstacles and plans for contingencies
- Appreciation of the impact of post-secondary and healthcare philanthropy
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office and relationship management databases
We believe in growth and curiosity. If you have some of these qualities and are excited about this opportunity, then we want to hear from you.
What We Offer
As a member of The Management Group (TMG), the successful candidate will be provided with a highly competitive Total Rewards Program which includes:
- Hybrid work arrangements and flexible working hours to promote employee wellbeing
- Industry-leading paid time off (vacation, personal management days, and holiday closure)
- Generous salary range with annual performance pay and merit-informed salary review processes
- Comprehensive benefits package (health, dental, vision) and group pension plan
- Top-up for pregnancy and parental leaves
- Annual professional development allowance as well as Tuition Assistance Program
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and within the lands protected by the “Dish with One Spoon” wampum agreement.
The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity.
The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially welcomes applications from indigenous (First Nations, Metis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact the following resources to communicate accommodation needs:
- the Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247), or
- the Faculty of Health Sciences Human Resources office at ext. 22207
Please submit your resume and cover letter through McMaster’s online career portal by 11:59 pm EST on Sunday, May 21, 2023.