Reporting directly to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the Manager, Database is responsible for the overall management of the Raiser’s Edge (RE) database, including all associated reporting functions related to development, communications, stewardship, and finance.
Working in close partnership with the Development, Communications and Stewardship, and Finance teams, and supervising the Senior Donor Relations Officer, the Database Manager will ensure the implementation of, and adherence to, best practices of data management with the performance of regular audits and monitoring of gift entry/processing.
The Manager, Database will optimize data integrity, quality, and architecture to maximize the functionality and reporting capacity of the database, working collaboratively with colleagues to understand and support business needs across various programs. The Manager, Database will also oversee and support the cross-functionality and integration of software and various fundraising/communication tools related to payment processing, analytics and email service providers.
These responsibilities are accomplished while actively participating in a fast-paced, team environment with multiple priorities and competing deadlines. Demanding, challenging, and exciting, this role requires a motivated and creative individual with demonstrated leadership skills and database expertise.
About Joseph Brant Hospital
Joseph Brant Hospital (JBH) is a full-service community teaching hospital located in the growing and thriving community of Burlington, Ontario, serving more than 185,000 residents in Halton, Hamilton, Waterdown, Flamborough, Milton, and Stoney Creek. It is honoured to be recognized as one of Hamilton Niagara’s Top Employers for seven (7) consecutive years, with a skilled staff of 194 physicians, 1,911 full- and part-time staff, and more than 700 volunteers. JBH is a Clinical Education site in conjunction with McMaster University and is designated as an Academic Community Teaching Hospital. Its expanded campus includes the state-of-art Michael Lee-Chin & Family Patient Tower, featuring a new Emergency Department, 172 acute inpatient beds, 9 new Operating Rooms, and a post-anesthetic care unit to support expanded medical, surgical, and outpatient services. JBH is also a partner member of the Burlington Ontario Health Team.
JBH inspires and empowers a culture of caring and this is demonstrated in many ways including
our commitment to the health, safety, and wellbeing of our people.
About Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation
JBHF was founded in 1976 to support Joseph Brant Hospital. We are committed to engaging
our community, inspiring investment in our Hospital and making a difference in healthcare for
our community. Our vision is to make a difference in our community and through the generous
giving of our supporters to provide an exceptional healthcare experience right here in
The Our New Era Campaign in support of the new Joseph Brant Hospital surpassed its goal of
$60M, raising an unprecedented $65M, enabling the incredible transformation of our Hospital,
and having a tremendous impact on our community for generations to come.
With the successful conclusion of the capital campaign, we are poised to leverage the
overwhelming support of the community to support new and emerging priorities which will
continue to support our Hospital’s vision of providing exceptional healthcare.
The Foundation is governed by a team of community volunteer leaders and is managed by a
dedicated staff of professionals who ensure that every donation is used effectively and
efficiently to meet the needs of patients and their families.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
Database Management Functions
- Oversee all functions of the RE database, including gift entry/processing (including the
production of donor acknowledgment letters and tax receipts)
- Ensure adherence to existing business rules, practices, procedures, and policies to
maintain high data quality and integrity
- Develop new business rules, practices, policies, and procedures, as required, to support
critical business functions and meet project objectives and organizational goals
- Provide service and technical infrastructure support of the RE database
- Manage RE data updates and software administration
- Oversee and support the cross-functionality and integration of software and various
online fundraising/communication platforms related to payment processing, analytics
and email service providers
- Ensure compliance with all aspects of legislation affecting privacy and CRA receipting
guidelines and best practices
Reporting & Analysis
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to provide RE subject matter expertise and data-driven
strategic insights and direction to support business needs
- Optimize data integrity, quality, and architecture to maximize the functionality and
reporting capacity of the database
- Configure, test and deploy custom reports and dashboards
- Create queries and produce reports and dashboards for analysis of
fundraising/campaign KPIs, donor analysis, and donor segmentation/targeting
- Support donor migration strategies, pipeline development, and prospect identification
- Provide accurate monthly/yearly financial reporting and support reconciliation
procedures, ensuring deadlines are met as established by the Chief Financial Officer
Qualifications & Competencies
- A minimum of 5-7 years of progressive experience in similar functions in a non-profit
environment with donor databases and spreadsheet software, preferably with Raiser’s
Edge, Crystal Reports and Excel. Experience with Blackbaud Merchant Services, iATS
and AKA raisin is an asset
- Blackbaud Certification (bCRE designation) is an asset
- Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in all aspects of legislation affecting privacy and
CRA receipting guidelines and best practices
- Experience working with other online fundraising platforms is an asset
- Previous management or team-lead experience with a desire to motivate and inspire
- Reputation for integrity and high ethical standards
- A willingness to live the JBHF values and culture code and maintain a high level of
Interested candidates should forward their resume and cover letter to:
Chief Development Officer
c/o Melissa Perry, Administrative Assistant to the CDO
Closing Date: June 10, 2022
Joseph Brant Hospital Foundation thanks all applicants, however, will contact only those
selected for an interview.