Holland Christian Homes is looking for a Development Manager who is passionate about quality senior care. An experienced fundraiser or sales and marketing professional, the Development Manager will help raise funds for our inaugural capital campaign while building overall fundraising capacity to enhance our innovative and supportive Christian community.
Holland Christian Homes is looking for a Development Manager who is passionate about quality senior care. An experienced fundraiser or sales and marketing professional, the Development Manager will help raise funds for our inaugural capital campaign while building overall fundraising capacity to enhance our innovative and supportive Christian community. Offering a unique campus of care, Holland Christian Homes provides independent and long-term care along with a range of other services for seniors.
Reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration and working closely with the senior management team and Board of Directors, the Development Manager will be the lead fundraiser and subject matter expert who will strategically build a culture of philanthropy, identifying opportunities to cultivate, solicit, and steward donors.
The ideal candidate is an independent self-starter and an exceptional relationship builder who truly understands and enjoys working with a senior population. Collaborative, resourceful and resilient, the Development Manager embraces challenges, seeks opportunities, and uses creativity to solve problems.
Working from our administrative offices in Brampton, the Development Manager will become part of our caring community of staff, volunteers, residents, tenants, their families, and caregivers.
About Holland Christian Homes
We are Holland Christian Homes, a community who cares. We are committed to providing a supportive, secure, caring, and Christian environment that encourages independence, preserves each person’s dignity, and promotes a high quality of life for seniors. We offer a continuum of care from independent living apartments to assisted living to long-term care. We truly are “Here to Care”.
What makes it possible for us to care for each other? When tenants and staff work together, when lines of communication are open, when everyone understands what’s expected, it’s easy to call Holland Christian Homes, home! And yes, our staff team believes that attention to detail helps to make Holland Christian Homes a caring community. We care about every detail!
“Let each of you look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.“ Philippians 2:4
To provide a centre of excellence in a caring Christian home for seniors, primarily of Dutch heritage.
In partnership with residents, tenants, their families, and caregivers, we provide a safe, professional, and caring community for seniors based on traditional Christian values offering a continuum of care and support while respecting their individuality and dignity.
Our Statement of Faith
Our vision to build a supportive, caring, secure community for seniors stems from our Statement of Faith.
Holland Christian Homes was established by a group of forward-thinking Christians who wanted to see their loved ones cared for in their senior years. In addition to their Christian faith, they shared common Dutch roots having come to settle in Canada–primarily after World War II.
Today, the second and third generations of those early pioneers are leading and driving HCH forward and pushing the organization towards even higher standards of quality, best practices, and resident satisfaction. Holland Christian Homes has a strong and engaged membership base, a highly committed member-elected Board of Directors and is supported by a large team of faithful volunteers. Together with our medical professionals, caregivers, support personnel, dieticians, administrative staff and clergy, all members of the HCH team are totally committed to the vision and mission of HCH on a daily basis. We are all stakeholders.
Our Strategic plan
Energizing Our Future
As a community of homes for Christian seniors, with six apartment buildings and two long-term care facilities providing housing and health, social and recreational programs for close to 1,100 older adults, HCH has accomplished much in recent years. With this in mind, HCH recently set out with the goal of creating an inspiring and focused Strategic Plan, that would build on its successes to date and set the direction for the future. This involved a comprehensive planning process.
Throughout the process, HCH conducted meaningful stakeholder engagement. Engagement strategies used to solicit input included focus groups, key informant interviews, and an online survey.
A Strategic Board Retreat took place on February 22, 2019. At this point, engagement results were reviewed, and trends were considered. The delivery of high-quality Christian care remained the focus through a thoughtful consideration of the future of the organization. From this, our Board of Directors has established four strategic directions:
Creating a Centre of Excellence
Building our Health and Human Resources
Investing in our Infrastructure
These four strategic directions will serve to focus our work over the next three years. They are driven by our mission, and they speak directly to the challenges and opportunities before us. The Board believes these directions signal to all stakeholders invested in the success of HCH that this organization is ready and able to meet its future head on.
HCH is energized. The directions envision a future for HCH that is thoughtful, sustainable, and reflective of our commitment to seniors. These directions include the voices of our stakeholders; they are connected through meaningful relationships that inspire us each day.
Our new directions are focused on our foundation of providing a safe, professional, and caring community for seniors, based on traditional Christian values.
Together we covenant to:
- Work together to ensure the effective stewardship of all our resources;
- Take personal responsibility for making Holland Christian Homes a safe place to live, work, and visit;
- Promote open communication and teamwork while allowing diversity;
- Treat each person and their living environment with respect and compassion;
Build and maintain meaningful partnerships in the community;
- Ensure that significant stakeholders have appropriate and timely input into the decisions that affect them.
- Accountability at HCH
- Independent Living at HCH
- Long Term Care at HCH
- The HCH Campus
- Members Annual General Meeting
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The Development Manager will oversee all aspects of the development office including strategy and donor related activity. An evaluation of fundraising opportunities and a year one fundraising plan has been created by KCI to support the new Development Manager.
Fundraising & Donor Relations
- Execute and revise the fundraising plan in a manner that builds on key learnings from the previous year while increasing donor engagement and revenue on an annual basis.
- Lead an approximately $5M Capital Campaign in collaboration with senior leadership and the Board.
- Research and build a diverse prospect pipeline (i.e., Capital, Planned giving, other individual, corporate, third -party community giving, etc.) and manage the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospects and existing donors to ensure they are moving forward in the donor cycle.
- Create a cultivation and stewardship strategy that provides meaningful opportunities for donors to engage and support Holland Christian Homes.
- Develop and oversee all donor recognition activities including creation and maintenance of the donor wall, naming opportunities, plaque unveiling events, and signage.
- Promote identified opportunities for giving and the organization case for support.
- Research government databases (federal, provincial, municipal) for grant opportunities for community-based projects.
- Work with the Director of Finance & Administration, and CEO to complete funding applications to government agencies, foundations, and corporations as required.
- Work with the leadership team to support Board involvement in prospect identification, cultivation, and solicitation activities.
- Raise awareness of philanthropic giving and build a culture of philanthropy that will support greater fundraising success.
- Develop and maintain donor communication materials and provide donor education sessions as required.
- Evaluate the results of the annual fundraising plan through analysis as well as against budget and apply learnings to maximize revenue growth.
Management of the Development Office
- Manage administrative areas related to fundraising and work with accounting to ensure a process and timeline for donor acknowledgement and receipting that meets industry standards.
- Develop, write, and implement all policies and procedures related to fundraising.
- Partner with the Communications Director to ensure that any donor related content is up to date on the HCH website.
- Contribute content to Holland Christian Homes social media as appropriate.
- Maintain the donor database to ensure data integrity and fully utilize the system to identify donor trends and opportunities.
- Generate annual and monthly status reports for the CEO, and the Director of Finance & Administration.
- Develop and manage the annual fundraising budget.
Qualifications, Competencies & Personal Attributes
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to the well-being of seniors.
- Progressive management experience in a charitable organization with involvement in fundraising; alternatively, a successful background in sales and/or marketing ideally in a not-for-profit environment.
- Demonstrated experience working in all areas of moves management with individual and corporate donors and/or sales prospects.
- Experience raising funds for capital projects and in planned giving is a definite asset.
- Ability to research and build a prospect pipeline and proactively build relationships with prospects and donors.
- Experience planning and managing budgets.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Strong team player who is also self-motivated, self-directed, resourceful, and organized to regularly set and achieve work goals within established deadlines.
- Outstanding interpersonal and networking skills with the ability to successfully navigate relationships with both individuals and groups.
- Ability to handle people and projects with sensitivity, confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy.
- Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism in all circumstances.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects, and to complete them in a timely manner with limited supervision.
- Proficiency with donor management systems to enhance fundraising and reporting.
- Solid understanding of CRA regulations.
- Post-secondary degree or certificate in a related field and/or a combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, write, and speak the Dutch language is a definite asset.
For More Information
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Holland Christian Homes. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Samantha David, Senior Search Consultant, KCI Search + Talent by email at HCH@kcitalent.com.
Interested candidates are invited to send a resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by June 28, 2021.
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please communicate with us.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is from $78,500 to $98,100 plus benefits.