The VP, Marketing and Communications is the chief brand steward and storyteller with responsibility for all content produced by The Foundation. With primary responsibility for planning, developing and executing all integrated marketing programs including, but not limited to, cause marketing, signature events and the direct response portfolio along with growing their associated revenue.
Posted On: 2021-04-22
Closing On: 2021-05-22
Location: Hamilton, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation (HHSF) is a registered charitable organization that exists to support patient care, research and education across the Hamilton Health Sciences family of hospitals and cancer centre (Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre (RJCHC), Hamilton General, Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital, McMaster University Medical Centre (MUMC) and St. Peter’s Hospital.
HHSF is committed to a values-based work environment that is characterized by:
Caring: by our pursuit of a donor centered fundraising environment and the team environment in which we work
Respect: for our donors our volunteers and each other
Innovation: by our celebration of new ideas and challenges
Accountability: by our transparency as a corporate entity and our commitment to meet the needs of our partner hospital.
HHSF is committed to the Donor Bill of Rights and to being a donor-centered organization. We are proud to have been an early adopter of the Imagine Canada accreditation program.
Working within this value system the duties of the Vice President, Marketing and Communications will include but not be limited to the description that follows.
The VP Marketing and Communications is the chief brand steward and storyteller with responsibility for all content produced by The Foundation. With primary responsibility for planning, developing and executing all integrated marketing programs including, but not limited to, cause marketing, signature events and the direct response portfolio along with growing their associated revenue.
Reporting to the CEO, the Vice President, Marketing and Communications is a member of the senior management team and contributes to The Foundation’s overall strategic direction and corporate communications. The Vice President, Marketing and Communications provides critical support and insight in the development of The Foundation’s strategic plan and annual operating plan, while being responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating the annual strategic marketing and communications plan.
As the chief brand steward and storyteller, this individual is responsible for all aspects of brand management through all channels including the development and management of the marketing content calendar. As a subject matter expert, educating and engaging leadership colleagues to ensure a unified brand approach is fundamental, as is championing change to advance HHSF as a best in class charitable organization.
Collaboration with Hamilton Health Sciences:
As the primary liaison to the Public Affairs and Communications team at Hamilton Health Sciences, this role works collaboratively on issues management, HHS employee engagement in support of HHSF, media relations and campaign messaging.
Children’s Miracle Network/Canada’s Children’s Hospital Foundations (CMN/CCHF)
- Provide strategic insight and tactical support for all programs and events associated with CMN/CCHF in support of McMaster Children’s Hospital.
Revenue Generation and Diversification:
This position has direct revenue responsibility for the following programs:
- Cause Marketing Program – continuing to grow and develop the program including the ongoing stewardship of existing partners and cultivation of new partners.
- 50/50 Community and Staff Lottery – continuing to maximize revenue associated with both lotteries through effective marketing.
- Direct response program – managing all aspects of the direct response program and further integrating and innovating with digital channels to support revenue growth including the management of a dedicated Call Centre (3 person team).
- Signature Events – responsible for all aspects of signature event portfolio including sponsorship solicitation and stewardship, event logistics and operations, participant engagement and marketing efforts.
- Oversee the development of all forms of meaningful, relevant and inspired content including but not limited to written, video and photography to build the brand, expand awareness, grow revenue and support the development teams.
- Data Analytics –understanding of and experience with using data analytics and insights to effectively target messages and content to execute effective marketing programs.
- With specific responsibility including but not limited to: annual donor report, print and digital newsletters, website, direct response, all social channels, and fundraising cases for support.
Team Leadership and Management Responsibilities:
- Support, coach and mentor a team of 7 to effectively and efficiently perform their responsibilities while ensuring support for annual performance plans and professional development.
- Provides critical insight to the strategic, operational, culture and human resource planning.
- Prepares a range of reports in support of the Chief Executive Officer, including but not limited to board, stewardship and campaign reports, annual and strategic plans and corporate communications/critical correspondence.
Accountability: Direct: Chief Executive Officer
- HHSF Leadership & Staff Teams
- Foundation Board & Community Volunteers
- Corporate Partners
- Hospital Staff & Physician Leadership
- A University Degree or equivalent in business management and/or marketing and communications, plus a minimum of 10 years progressive experience at a management level.
- A proven track record of implementing innovative marketing and communications plans.
- Demonstrated success implementing digital strategies that considers emerging trends and use of relevant data sets for a non-profit organization.
- An innovator and strategist with the ability to conceptualize and execute plans for desired results.
- Has a proven track record in building beneficial partnerships internally and externally.
- The ability to work within a matrix management structure; while also successfully engaging a wide range of stakeholders in support of organizational objectives.
- The ability to work proactively and manage competing priorities while being responsible for tactical execution.
- Strong project management skills.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- An effective and strong coach and mentor who can lead an engaged team that has a culture of service and support.
- Goal-oriented, motivated by our mission, vision and values.
- Working experience in both a corporate and not-for-profit environment is an asset.
- Travel is required; the incumbent must possess a valid driver’s license and have use of a car.
- The nature of the work is such that evening and some weekend work is required.
- A Vulnerable Persons Police Check is a requirement of employment.
Thank you for your interest in this exciting career opportunity. Please submit in confidence a cover letter with salary expectations (mandatory), résumé and any other pertinent portfolio information. There will be a 6 person panel interview format for the first component and three panel interview for the final interview. There will also be a written assignment for the final interview.
Should you be shortlisted, you will be invited to an in-person interview (Foundation Office, Hamilton) and or by videoconference based on Covid-19 restrictions. A more detailed position summary will be provided to those shortlisted for the first round interview.
HHSF is an equal opportunity employer and will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application process, please contact Naoka Feth (905.521.2100 x 44249 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during the interview, the applicant will need to advise Naoka Feth when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, HHSF staff are working remotely or in a hybrid model (at home/office). Ultimately, when it is safe to do so, our goal is to work out of the HHSF offices, located in downtown Hamilton.
Interested applicants please submit your application to Naoka Feth at email@example.com. Deadline date for receipt of applications is Monday, May 10th, 2021.
We would like to thank all who apply. An acknowledgement will be sent if you are not shortlisted for the first round of interviews.