A dedicated fundraising professional, the Development Officer proactively manages an assigned portfolio of individual, corporate, foundation and community organization donors and is responsible for building strong and productive relationships to maximize revenue generation opportunities. This role champions private sector support with a focus on relationships at the $5,000 and above level.
Posted On: 2021-07-21
Closing On: 2021-08-06
Location: Hamilton, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation (HHSF) is a registered charitable organization that exists to support patient care, research and education across the Hamilton Health Sciences family of hospitals and cancer centre (Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre (RJCHC), Hamilton General, Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital, McMaster University Medical Centre (MUMC) and St. Peter’s Hospital.
HHSF is committed to a values-based work environment that is characterized by:
Caring: by our pursuit of a donor centered fundraising environment and the team environment in which we work
Respect: for our donors our volunteers and each other
Innovation: by our celebration of new ideas and challenges
Accountability: by our transparency as a corporate entity and our commitment to meet the needs of our partner hospital.
HHSF is committed to the Donor Bill of Rights and to being a donor-centered organization. All members of the HHS Foundation Staff Team support development activities by ensuring the maintenance of accurate records of information on the Raisers Edge database. HHSF is committed to protecting the privacy of our donors and prospects.
Working within this value system the duties of the Development Officer will include but not be limited to the description that follows.
Reporting to the VP of Development, the Development Officer is a key member of the Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation development team, providing fundraising expertise to benefit our mission. This role champions private sector support with a focus on relationships at the $5,000 and above level.
A dedicated fundraising professional, the Development Officer proactively manages an assigned portfolio of individual, corporate, foundation and community organization donors and is responsible for building strong and productive relationships to maximize revenue generation opportunities. This position is required to function independently, exercising a considerable amount of initiative, innovation and resourcefulness to achieve strategic and impactful outcomes to realize the Foundation’s goals.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
Fundraising & Relationship Management
- Champion our mission with regional community to identify and cultivate new opportunities to support our revenue generation goals
- In consultation with VP, Development, manage an assigned portfolio of donors to build engaged relationships that will yield longer term benefits
- Work collaboratively with the HHSF staff team to ensure a seamless and donor-centred experience, internally and externally
- Ensure prompt response to all internal and external inquiries and facilitate processes according to HHSF policies and protocol
- Work to achieve fundraising results consistent with the Foundation Guidelines on Expectations of Development Professionals and meet annual expectations for assigned portfolio of donors and prospects
- Create and implement strategic, progressive and productive moves management plans for assigned relationships
- With a focus on donor relations; engage, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects to support a culture of donors who feel connected, valued and informed
- Proactively build prospect pipeline through contacts identified from portfolio, HHSF staff, grateful patient, donors and volunteers
- Develop effective relationships with key stakeholders to enhance their engagement with HHSF
- Work with HHSF team to identify and recruit volunteer leaders and hospital champions to advocate and support Foundation goals
- Prepare compelling and strategic fundraising materials including, but not limited to, briefing notes, proposals, letters, reports, acknowledgements, speaking notes and impact updates
- Maintain donor and prospect records including: entering and maintaining solicitation and donor information, call reports, up to date address and key contact information
- Ensure the tracking and fulfillment of pledges, donor recognition activities, receipting and timely acknowledgement
- Undertake prospect research, when required and apply for prospect clearance
- Organize and coordinate cultivation and stewardship activities such as meetings, tours and events
- Provide and present information to groups to increase engagement with Foundation’s mission, vision and goals and speak with confidence about need and impact to prospective and current donor groups
- Respond to donor and volunteer requests as required
- Attend and participate, as required, at Signature events for the Foundation
- Other projects, as appropriate
Accountability: Direct: VP Development
- HHSF Staff
- Hospital Staff
- Post-secondary education in business, event, communications, public relations or related field
- Certificate in development, fundraising or event planning an asset
- 3+ years of fundraising experience, with demonstrated success, in the non-profit/charitable sector
Knowledge, Skill, Abilities:
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written), interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Act as an ambassador throughout the community, positively representing the Foundation
- Demonstrated superior organization, flexibility, and multi-tasking skills within a team environment
- High degree of initiative and ability to manage multiple tasks and priortize tasks in a positive and effective manner, meeting critical deadlines
- Ability to analyze results and make appropriate adjustments and recommendations
- Ability to manage relationships and motivate others to accomplish specific tasks
- Demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethical practice
- Outgoing, positive, confident professional with a warm disposition
- Ability to condense and package information in a visually appealing and logical manner
- Understand the need for professionalism, discretion and patience when communicating with donors and volunteers
- Accuracy and attention to detail is imperative
- Proficient keyboarding skills and proven in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge/NXT fundraising software an asset
- Experience using social media platforms including facebook, twitter and instagram an asset
Foundation Guidelines on Expectations for Development Professionals:
- A Development Officer is a primary relationship manager for a portfolio of 75+ consituents and a sustainable fundraising level target of $500,000-$750,000 annually.
- Currently, we are in Stage 3 of Ontario’s Roadmap to Reopen and HHSF staff are working out of our Foundation offices, located in downtown Hamilton.
- Travel is required; the incumbent must possess a valid driver’s license and have use of a reliable vehicle.
- The nature of the work is such that evening and some weekend work is required.
- A Vulnerable Persons Police Check is a requirement of employment.
- The hiring range for this position is between $48,000 and $68,000, commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants please submit your application to Naoka Feth at firstname.lastname@example.org
HHSF is an equal opportunity employer and will accommodate any needs under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities, if requested. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application process, please contact Naoka Feth (905.521.2100 x 44249 or email@example.com) for assistance. If the applicant requires a specific accommodation because of a disability during the interview, the applicant will need to advise Naoka Feth when scheduling the interview and the appropriate accommodations can be made.
We would like to thank all who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline date for receipt of applications is Friday, August 6, 2021.