Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation provides vital funding to enable the best possible patient care. We inspire and motivate gifts that fund medical equipment and patient amenities, innovative research initiatives, essential redevelopment of clinical care spaces, and the education and training of health care providers.
As a registered charitable organization, we proudly support patients and families across south-central Ontario, and from outside the region, who receive specialized care at Hamilton Health Sciences including Hamilton General Hospital, Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital, and St. Peter’s Hospital. The associated programs at the Regional Rehabilitation Centre, McMaster University Medical Centre and Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre are also included. The Foundation is committed to the Donor Bill of Rights and to being a donor-centered organization. Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation is committed to protecting the privacy of our donors and prospects. We are proud to have been an early adopter of the Imagine Canada accreditation program.
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Employment Type: Contract
Salary Range: $20.00 per hour. This contract opportunity includes 6% of earnings in lieu of vacation, and 13% of earnings in lieu of benefits and statutory holidays. Pay in lieu of benefits will reduce to 9% if already a member of HOOPP or voluntary enrollment in the pension program.
Posted On: November 17, 2023
Closing On: November 30, 2023
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to: HHSFcareers@hhsc.ca
This is an exciting time to join Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation as we build upon a strong foundation of our Culture Code that includes the values of respect, impactful and inspiring. We believe that relationships and partnerships are the basis of excellence in fundraising and have a vision to see a community of inspired and committed donors who embrace It’s Vital to Care. Every position in The Foundation contributes to a safe, inclusive environment for all through compliance with The Foundation’s diversity, equity and inclusion philosophy and patient and staff safety policies and procedures.
Working within this value system the duties of the Foundation Intern will include but not be limited to the description that follows.
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Partnerships the Foundation Intern for Corporate Engagement is a key member of the Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation development team, providing fundraising and administrative support to benefit our mission.
A learning and professional fundraising career development opportunity, this front-line support position provides a wide range of administrative and office support that requires exceptional organizational talents, database management skills and professional communication in person, by phone and in writing.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
Fundraising & Community Engagement
- Champion our mission with regional community to identify and cultivate new opportunities to support our revenue generation goals
- Support co-ordination of corporate engagement activities and events, including prompt response to inquiries and facilitate processes according to HHSF policies and protocol
- Support the Director, Corporate Partnerships with initiatives, programs and events for McMaster’s Children’s Hospital Foundation and Children’s Miracle Network/Canada Children’s Hospital Foundations (CMN/CCHF)
- Maintain donor and prospect records including: entering and maintaining solicitation and donor information, call reports, up to date address and key contact information
- Ensure the tracking and fulfillment of pledges, donor recognition activities, receipting and timely acknowledgement
- In co-ordination with HHSF development team, prepare timely and regular donor and fundraising status reports including assisting with gift and pledge data entry
- Respond and fulfill In-Lieu and In-Memory donor requests
- Organize and coordinate cultivation and stewardship activities such as meetings, tours and events on behalf of the VP, Development and Director, Corporate Partnerships
- Support the development and mailing of, proposals, letters, reports and acknowledgments for solicitation, cultivation and stewardship of donors for VP, Development
- Attend and participate, as required, at Signature events for the Foundation
- Act as an ambassador throughout the community, positively representing the Foundation
- Respond to donor and volunteer requests as required
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Anticipate and prompt VP Development and Director, Corporate Partnerships on upcoming donor/management/board meetings and events; provide details and produce related materials
- Manage HHSF and team calendars, as needed
- Provide support for staff and committee meetings
- Draft agendas, collect and distribute meeting materials
- Record, write and distribute minutes of meetings as required
- Provide logistical (transportation, accommodation, meals, AV and registration) and administrative support for meetings
- Maintain electronic filing system(s)
- Liaise with specific suppliers, manage purchases and bill payments and follow-up with finance
- Follow up inquiries and direct calls to the appropriate team members for follow-up
- Liaise with all HHSF staff, as part of integrated team, to engender timely and ongoing communication
- Coordinate special projects, as required.
Accountability: Direct: Director, Corporate Partnerships
Indirect: Vice President, Development
- HHSF Staff
- Hospital Staff
- Post-secondary education in business, event, communications, public relations or related field
- Certificate in development, fundraising or event planning an asset
Knowledge, Skill, Abilities:
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (verbal and written), interpersonal, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated superior organization, flexibility, and multi-tasking skills within a team environment
- High degree of initiative and ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritize tasks in a positive and effective manner, meeting critical deadlines
- Demonstrated commitment to the highest standards of ethical practice
- Ability to condense and package information in a visually appealing and logical manner
- Understand the need for professionalism, discretion and patience when communicating with donors and volunteers
- Accuracy and attention to detail is imperative
- Strong computer skills in utilizing Microsoft Office program (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and database management
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge/NXT fundraising software an asset
- Experience using social media platforms and/or online design programs (Canva) an asset
- Location of work is 1 King St. West, Hamilton ON and the Foundation will follow all public health guidelines with respect to COVID-19.
Working Conditions and Mandatory Requirements
- This position operates Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm onsite at Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation head office in Hamilton, ON. HHSF team may be required to host donor meetings or events at Hamilton Health Science sites or other locations.
- The nature of the work is such that evening and some weekend work is required.
- A Vulnerable Persons Police Check is a requirement of employment.
- Proof of full COVID vaccination is mandatory for employment with Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation in accordance with Hamilton Health Science policy.
How to Apply: to help us learn more about you, please submit your resume and cover letter articulating why you are interested in working for Hamilton Health Science Foundation to HHSFcareers@hhsc.ca. Submissions are due by November 30th, 2023. If you do not have all qualifications, we are still interested in your application. Applications will be reviewed and invited for next stages of the recruitment process, as received. We would like to thank all who apply, but only those selected to move forward will be contacted.
Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. Our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion within HHSF reflects a belief that we will make the greatest impact to our mission when everyone can genuinely and fully participate without barriers or exclusion. We are dedicated to creating a workplace reflective of the community we live, work and serve and welcome applications from diverse and equity-deserving groups.
The Foundation is committed to providing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Accommodation, if requested, will be provided throughout the recruitment process in accordance with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should any candidate require accommodation in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact Heather Slye (905.521.2100 x 44624 or HHSFcareers@hhsc.ca) for assistance.