The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the overall strategic, operational, and financial management of the Windsor Regional Hospital Foundation (WRHF), advancing philanthropic support. As a partner to the board of directors, the ED provides guidance in planning and directing the Foundation in implementing its strategic plan to achieve its goals. The ED provides leadership to staff and maintains proactive and effective relationships with the Hospital’s internal stakeholders, including the Hospital’s CEO, senior leadership, hospital staff, professional staff and Board of Directors. Serving as the Foundation’s chief development officer, the ED is the key relationship holder for external stakeholders including prospects, donors, and the community at large.
In this newly created role, the Executive Director will provide leadership and support as the Foundation embarks on a major capital campaign.
The ED reports to the WRHF Board of Directors.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategic Leadership & Governance
- Works closely with Foundation Board to develop and execute the strategic directions of the Foundation in alignment with the priorities of Windsor Regional Hospital (WRH).
- Participates in Board meetings and committee meetings. Provides materials for Board meetings that facilitate Board analysis of issues and decision-making.
- Serves as a member of the Senior Leadership Team of WRH, collaborating closely with the President and CEO, as well as administrative and clinical leadership in order to define financial requirements for alignment with philanthropic sources of funding.
- Directs the development of the Foundation’s annual operating budget and financial targets.
- Develops benchmarks to measure progress in the implementation of the Foundation’s annual plan and budget.
- Develops and proposes policies that ensure accountability, transparency and appropriate risk management.
- Aligns Foundation activities and Cases for support with Hospital priorities, strategy, brand and values.
- Ensures the Foundation’s role as trustee of donors’ funds is fully understood and respected by all relevant partners.
- Participates in the identification, cultivation, recruitment and retention of Board members and other key volunteers who contribute to the Foundation’s development activities.
Operations and Financial Management
- Manages and directs the operations of the Foundation, ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and in fulfillment of the Foundation’s mission, vision, and values.
- Directs and monitors all Foundation administrative functions, including budgeting, financial management and reporting, and policy administration; ensures policies and procedures are in place to guide fundraising growth.
- Builds the broad capacity of the Foundation by assessing the existing organizational structure, team, programs, events, and initiatives to refine, improve and build on existing strengths and new opportunities while managing available resources to ensure maximum efficiencies and results.
- Leads Foundation team in developing and executing operational plans for all revenue streams and develops benchmarks to measure and monitor performance against these plans.
Fundraising & Donor Relations
- Accountable for the development, execution, monitoring and evaluation of all fundraising initiatives and promoting strategic and integrated implementation in alignment with the strategic plan of the Hospital and the Foundation.
- Liaises with Hospital leadership to define financial requirements and sources of funding.
- In collaboration with the Hospital, leads the development of the case for support to build awareness of philanthropic opportunities at the Hospital and Foundation, aligned with Hospital priorities, strategy, brand and values.
- Leads the development and execution of an upcoming major capital campaign.
- Develops and manages a personal portfolio of prospective and current donors.
- Collaborates with senior volunteers, WRH & medical leadership and Foundation team to ensure a robust donor pipeline is established and actively managed.
- Develops a strategy and plan to build the culture of philanthropy within the Hospital’s internal community.
- Develops marketing and communications plans for the Foundation and its events and activities that align with and amplify the brand, image and reputation of WRHF.
- Ensures high visibility and reputation of WRH and Foundation. Acts as spokesperson for the Foundation at community events and with the media.
- Engages hospital staff, volunteers, physicians and board members in the philanthropic mission of the Foundation.
- Develops and delivers donor cultivation, recognition, and stewardship programs.
- Develops and implements a grateful patient program including the participation of physicians and other members of the Hospital team.
- Foster strong relations and effective communication between the Foundation’s and Hospital’s senior administration and staff.
Team Leadership and Management
- Oversees the recruitment and retention of staff including hiring, performance management, accountability, annual reviews and professional development.
- Aligns with and follows HR practices, policies and guidelines of WRHF and/or WRH.
- Ensures the effective recruitment, development, performance and support of Foundation staff, board, and volunteers to achieve the Foundation’s short and long-term goals.
- Creates a positive and inclusive work environment and culture so staff remain engaged, committed, and supported to achieve organizational and professional goals and objectives.
- An undergraduate degree is required.
- Progressive senior leadership experience in a charity or non-profit with a focus on fundraising, marketing, and/or community relations.
- Knowledge and experience with information systems including donor databases. Experience with Raiser’s Edge is an asset.
- Experience working in or on behalf of healthcare or a health-related field would be an asset,
- Demonstrated success in fundraising is preferred, with direct experience in major gift development, capital campaigns, planned giving, fundraising events and annual campaigns.
- Experience reporting to or working with a Board of Directors and leadership volunteers.
- Proven success developing and managing a pipeline of major donors and prospects including cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship at the six-figure level and above.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strategic thinker with a proven ability to operationalize strategic objectives into successful annual business plans.
- Excellent relationship building skills with the ability to inspire giving; strong track record in community outreach and the building of strong networks and partners.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with hospital leadership and colleagues, or their equivalent in a non-healthcare environment.
- Demonstrated success building, leading and inspiring high-functioning teams.
- Strong business acumen including experience developing and managing budgets and demonstrating fiscal accountability.
- Understanding of trends and best practices in the philanthropic sector.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with the ability to engage diverse audiences.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume directly to:
Laura Janisse (Manager, Human Resources – Windsor Regional Hospital)
Posting Number: 4073
Application deadline: August 2, 2021
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, upon request, accommodation will be provided throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities.