Following 15 years of exceptional service our current Executive Director is retiring and we are now looking for the Foundations next Executive Director. Accountable for the overall strategic and operational leadership of the Foundation, the new Executive Director will be an engaging and visionary leader who will guide and motivate a dedicated team of staff and volunteers towards the Foundations next phase of growth and success.
Reporting to the Foundation Board of Directors and managing a team of six, the Executive Director will be an experienced fundraising leader with a passion for healthcare philanthropy. Collaborative and entrepreneurial, the successful candidate will possess a growth mindset with the ability to nurture and build relationships and opportunities that support the strategic objectives of the Foundation.
A compelling representative and spokesperson, the new Executive director will be an ambassador for the Foundation who will increase engagement across our diverse community of donors, hospital partners and other supporters, while also widening support for the hospital from across our beautiful town, which is one of the fastest growing communities in Canada.
Salary Range: $160,000 – $185,000
Posted On: August 2, 2023
Closing On: September 7, 2023
Location: Milton, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Effective: January 2024
Salary Range: $160,000 – $185,000
Supportive and outcome focused the Executive Director will have proven experience managing high performing staff teams. A leader who values people, the successful candidate will strike a balance of being a manager, coach and mentor to ensure fundraising goals are met while also valuing and developing the Foundation team.
This position will commence in January 2024. The position will be based at 725 Bronte Street South, Milton, Ontario. Regular travel to MDHF and to donor meetings offsite is required. Candidates should live in or near the catchment area for MDH or be willing to relocate.
The salary range for this position is $160,000 – $185,000 plus a comprehensive benefits package including a HOOP pension.
ABOUT MILTON DISTRICT HOSPITAL FOUNDATION
Since 1980, Milton District Hospital Foundation has been raising funds for essential medical equipment and services at Milton District Hospital.
Guided by our values of accountability, innovation, empowerment and collaboration, we strive to ensure that our hospital has the resources to provide the people of Milton and the surrounding area high quality healthcare close to home.
Our community is growing, and both our patient volume and acuity is increasing. This means that our hospital requires more equipment and replacement equipment must be purchased more frequently. Our patients are at the centre of everything that we do but we can’t do it alone.
To ensure that Milton District Hospital is able to remain a state-of-the-art healthcare facility, Milton District Hospital Foundation raises funds for essential medical equipment and technology required by health care providers to diagnose, treat and care for patients living in our community. All donations made to MDHF remain in Milton.
Build awareness and inspire giving in the community served by Milton District Hospital to raise funds for essential medical equipment and services.
Transforming Giving. Transforming Care.
ABOUT HALTON HEALTHCARE
Halton Healthcare is an award-winning healthcare organization comprised of three community hospitals and numerous community-based services in the growing urban and rural communities of Halton Hills, Milton, and Oakville. Reflecting the dynamic communities we serve, we take pride in offering some of the finest technology and healthcare expertise available in southwestern Ontario.
Our hospitals – Georgetown Hospital, Milton District Hospital and Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital – are very much a part of Halton’s rich history and have a long-standing tradition of providing quality care to many generations of area families. Together, we serve a population of almost 400,000 residents.
A leading healthcare organization serving people with compassionate, quality and integrated community hospital care.
Exemplary patient experiences, always.
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative center of excellence in community hospital care.
ABOUT MILTON DISTRICT HOSPTIAL
Milton District Hospital (or MDH) is a community hospital built on 40 acres and offers a wide range of primary care services. Its major areas of clinical emphasis include emergency, obstetrics, general medicine, intensive care unit, surgery, rehabilitation, complex transitional care and medical imaging.
- Areas of Care
- Community Report
- Annual Report
- 2020-2021 Financial Statements
- Board of Directors
- Up Coming Events
- Halton Health Care Strategic Plan
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Leadership & Governance
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors, Foundation staff and hospital partners to chart the overall Foundation vision and strategic plan in support of a culture of growth and success.
- Lead the Foundation team in developing and executing operational plans for all revenue streams and develop benchmarks to measure and monitor performance against these plans.
- Ensure the financial health of the Foundation through ensuring strong financial controls, oversight and budget development.
- Build effective relationships with the COO of Halton Healthcare, Milton Site, the President & CEO of Halton Healthcare and other related staff to ensure a deep understanding of current and future hospital needs to support an aligned approach to fundraising.
- Ensure a positive ongoing working relationship with hospital staff and departments who provide shared services in support of the Foundation.
- Build productive relationships across the Halton Healthcare network, with government representatives, other community organizations and groups and the community at large in support of Foundation goals and activities.
- Act as the main representative, and spokesperson for the Foundation within the hospital and externally in the community with a focus on promoting the hospitals unique value proposition and building and maintaining relationships that increase philanthropic support for the Foundation.
- Ensure compliance with legal, regulatory and ethical regulations and adherence to the Donor Bill of Rights
- Plan and strengthen policies, procedures and other infrastructure, to ensure overall Foundation efficiency, accountability, transparency and appropriate risk management.
- Collaborate with the Board to develop and implement a comprehensive Board Nomination and development program.
- Prepare and deliver regular reports and other materials to support Board oversight for scheduled Board meetings in a timely manner, attending meetings and supporting all activities in an ex-officio role.
Fund Development & Donor Relations
- Drive the Foundation team to achieve or exceed it’s $4.5M+ annual fundraising goal, in addition to meeting other significant revenue development opportunities related to hospital priorities such as equipment and capital improvements.
- Develop and manage a personal portfolio of prospects and donors to acquire transformational gifts and legacies.
- Continue to improve the culture of philanthropy to ensure best practices in donor relations to meet fundraising goals within a highly competitive philanthropic environment.
- Work with staff to develop new opportunities to give to the Foundation and work to expand the donor audience through the creation of initiatives and programs that target the diverse groups in our region.
- Collaborate with the Foundation team, senior volunteers and MDH medical leadership to ensure a robust donor and prospect pipeline.
- Act as the main representative and spokesperson for the Foundation internally and externally in the community, with media, at events etc., building and maintaining relationships that support greater philanthropic support for the Foundation.
- Enhance the quality of Foundation communications (written, digital etc.) and technologies to support revenue generation goals.
- Ensure high visibility and a strong positive reputation of the Foundation through oversight of a portfolio of fundraising, cultivation and awareness events, conducted by the Foundation and by community groups and individuals.
Operations and Team Management
- Oversee all Foundation administrative functions, including budgeting, financial management and reporting, and policy administration.
- Administer funds according to donor directives and the budget as approved by the Foundation Board, including monitoring, and approving all major expenditures, service contracts, etc.
- Act as a liaison between donors and the hospital, ensuring that donations are directed to approved priorities and applied as requested by the donor.
- Oversee the recruitment and retention of staff including hiring, performance management, accountability, annual reviews and professional development with a focus on succession planning.
- Model and develop the values, attitude, work ethic and behaviors expected of all Foundation staff.
- Provide leadership, coaching, management, and support to our dedicated team of 6 staff.
- Ensure the development of individual and team goals and performance targets with measurable outcomes that are assessed on a regular basis.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Progressive leadership experience in a charitable or not-for-profit setting, including strong management, fundraising and communications skills.
- A demonstrated passion for healthcare philanthropy. Experience working in a healthcare environment is considered an asset.
- Proven ability to set and meet progressive strategic and operational goals.
- A solid understanding of financial management, budget preparation, and related reporting.
- Demonstrated success contributing to fundraising programs and projects such as major gift fundraising, campaigns, planned giving and annual campaigns.
- Major gift fundraising success, including direct involvement cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors.
- A history of exceptional relationship building skills with the ability to use motivation and influence to meet an organizations mission and mandate.
- Previous experience working with a Board of Directors and engaging Board members and/or other leadership volunteers in fundraising activities.
- Demonstrated understanding of the type of information, insight, data, and analysis needed by a Board to make effective and informed governance decisions.
- Success building, leading, managing and inspiring high functioning teams.
- Experience managing multiple priorities and deadlines, and effectively coordinating and deploying a team to deliver results.
- Proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships with hospital leadership and colleagues, or their equivalent in a non-health environment.
- Excellent track record in proactive community outreach, the building of strong networks and partners, with the motivation to be seen as a collaborative community leader.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to seek input and actively listen.
- Experienced spokesperson and engaging public speaker who is confident and highly adept interacting with diverse groups.
- Strong understanding of trends in the philanthropic sector with the ability to use and share this knowledge in a manner that inspires innovation and advances day to day and longer-term goals and activities.
- Tenacious and resilient with a positive outlook and “can-do” attitude.
- Strong negotiation, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Data driven, with knowledge of the tools and technology required to support fundraising success and overall efficiency. Experience with Raiser’s Edge is an asset.
- Completion of a post-secondary education is preferred, or a combination of education and directly related experience.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
- A valid driver’s license with regular access to a vehicle.
LIVING IN THE MILTON AREA
Our community is a blend of urban and rural, modern and historic, all set against the backdrop of the Niagara Escarpment. We are a growing and diverse community with a variety of social and community services available.
The community attracts residents looking for a balanced lifestyle in a family-oriented community with lots of local, urban amenities and world class facilities like the Mattamy National Cycling Centre. Additionally, Milton is a prime GTA-West location for accessing many natural local assets. Surrounded by the Niagara Escarpment, parks and local conservation areas, Milton provides endless opportunities for year-round recreation.
Milton is centrally located along one of the most sophisticated transportation corridors in the world at the heart of the second-largest technology cluster in North America, the Toronto-Waterloo Innovation Corridor. For more information: https://www.milton.ca/en/index.aspx
For More Information
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Milton District Hospital Foundation. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Samantha David or Jill Anderson KCI Search + Talent, by email at MDHF@kcitalent.com.
Interested candidates are invited to send a resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by September 7, 2023. All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
To view full executive brief please visit www.kcitalent.com
Milton District Hospital Foundation is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Milton District Hospital Foundation will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
Milton District Hospital Foundation has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination and Management Policy, in alignment with Halton Healthcare. All new hires must be fully compliant with our Policy as a condition of employment. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of vaccination or proof of a documented medical exemption as part of the hiring process.