Safehaven is looking for a Director of Philanthropy as the fundraising lead for the organization. Reporting to the CEO, and as a valued member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Philanthropy will be responsible for developing a comprehensive fundraising program and creating and energizing a culture of philanthropy throughout our organization. This is a new role designed to help us achieve our ambitious multi-year agenda to expand services and facilities with several new builds across the Greater Toronto Area.
The ideal candidate will be an independent self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, who will build the fundraising program and team from start to finish, and expertly lead the organization through a fund development growth strategy. The new Director will be responsible for building the processes and strategy that will lead our organization through multiple capital campaigns and continue to grow and develop our annual giving program as well. Salary Range: $120,000 – $140,000
Posted On: May 24, 2023
Closing On: July 4, 2023
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $120,000 – $140,000
A fundraising professional with proven skills in cultivating and securing significant gifts, the new incumbent will build upon relationships with existing supporters while developing new networks and building our donor profile to gain support across the community and region as Safehaven, strives to create a more inclusive world for individuals with health complexities and advancing community-based care for those in need of services and housing.
The Director of Philanthropy will be an exceptional individual with a huge heart (and able to embrace vision/mission) who will help to ensure that the organization achieves our vision by positively impacting the lives of others and creating a more inclusive world for people with complex care needs.
Safehaven is a not-for-profit organization focused on delivering exceptional supported group living, respite and transitional care to individuals with medical complexities and developmental disabilities for over 30 years. Our mission is to create a more inclusive world for individuals with medical complexities, where every individual has the right to experience life to the fullest regardless of their physical or mental disabilities. With six locations across the GTA, Safehaven serves individuals diagnosed with cerebral palsy, down syndrome, muscular dystrophy, genetic disorders, and other medically complex care needs.
Safehaven is a client-centred, inclusive community-based organization that is accredited by Accreditation Canada with Exemplary Standing, a designation provided to organizations considered best in class.
At Safehaven, we are constantly striving to better serve our clients and communities that need us most. That’s why we are currently exploring opportunities to expand our service offerings to advance our programs and services to care for more medically complex individuals and implement innovative therapy and recreational programs for our existing and future clients.
We are dedicated to building an inclusive environment for people with complex care needs so they can live a life with dignity and respect.
We are Quality Focused
We will be the champion for individuals of all ages living with complex care needs by revolutionizing the care through continuous quality innovation and improvement and building inclusive environments.
We Embrace a Safety Culture
We will always provide a safe and supportive environment for our clients. Training programs and policies enable our staff to support clients and report any concerns immediately for prompt resolution.
We Put Our Clients and Families at the Centre of Our Work
Clients and families will be the driving force behind our decision-making, and we will partner with them in all aspects of our respite and residential care programs.
We Thrive on Respectful Interactions
To change lives, we must respect one another. We do this by ensuring that clients, families and staff feel their beliefs are understood and valued, by maintaining respectful dialogue with one another, and by recognizing our common goal of helping others improve their lives.
We Pride Ourselves on Accountability
Accountability is about keeping our promises. We will commit to our obligations and do what we say we will.
We Believe in Team Values
Team values represent our focus on working together to help each other and our clients in challenging times.
Quality: We will be the champion for individuals of all ages living with complex care needs by revolutionizing the care through continuous quality innovation and improvement.
Curiosity: We will courageously explore opportunities to gain experience and grow through partnerships and evidence-based and innovative opportunities.
Trust: We will listen, collaborate, value and respect every interaction.
Accountability: We will commit to our obligations and do what we say we will.
- Safehaven Website
- About Safehaven
- 2022 – 2027 Strategic Plan
- 2021 – 2022 Impact Report
- Safehaven Locations
- Safehaven In the News
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Philanthropy and Major Gift Fundraising
- Develop multi-year, annual and capital fundraising plans and manage their implementation.
- Ensure that objectives, timelines, and critical paths for all fundraising programs are being met and tracked.
- Develop and execute a donor acquisition strategy including prospect identification and qualification, engagement, cultivation and solicitation.
- Evaluate and evolve the current annual giving program (~$250,000) with a focus on retention and growth within the corporate, foundation and individual donor streams.
- Oversee and expand Safehaven’s stewardship and recognition program to build affinity and relationships with the organization.
- Build and manage personal pipeline of mid-level and major donors.
- Stay current with the philanthropy landscape, fundraising trends, and best practices.
- Work in partnership with the communications team to craft philanthropy-specific communications and marketing pieces such as customized solicitations, monthly newsletters, product development, etc., to support donor engagement and giving.
- Solidify policies and procedures for major gifts and create major gift agreements.
Leadership and Volunteer Engagement
- Contribute to Senior Leadership team and ensure that the organization is progressing towards meeting strategic goals and priorities outlined in the 2022-2027 Strategic Plan.
- Recruit and lead the philanthropy team, provide coaching, performance management, and create opportunities for professional development.
- Work with the Philanthropy and Communications Committee of the Board to lead recruitment for Safehaven’s first campaign cabinet including prospect identification, outreach, and orientation.
- Act as the staff co-lead to the Philanthropy and Communications Committee along with the Director of Strategy and Innovation and as the primary staff lead supporting the Campaign Planning Subcommittee of the Board.
- Build and manage the department budget, report on progress towards goals and present those reports at board and committee meetings as needed to discuss.
- Develop and launch a philanthropy scorecard to support quarterly reporting to Senior Leadership and the Philanthropy and Communications committee.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Experience managing and leading or supporting a comprehensive donor-centered fundraising program encompassing annual, major and legacy giving.
- Experience building and maintaining a portfolio of donors with a successful track record in cultivating relationships to secure mid-level to major gifts including individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Experience with Campaign development from planning through implementation.
- Experience working with Board members and senior volunteers in a fundraising capacity.
- Demonstrated strategic planning skills and entrepreneurial creativity in building organizational fundraising capacity.
- Expert written and oral communications skills with a highly developed ability to effectively communicate impact.
- Experience in working with CRM systems.
- A commitment to equity and inclusion, collaboration and making a positive difference for Safehaven clients and families.
- Educational background including a recognized university degree or equivalent, with a CFRE designation considered an asset, a combination of skills and experience will be considered.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Safehaven. For more information about this leadership opportunity, please contact Helena Debnam, Senior Consultant, Search + Talent by email at Safehaven@kcitalent.com.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com.
Please send your resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by July 4, 2023. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require any accommodations, please notify the Search Consultant.
The salary range for this position is $120,000 – $140,000 plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Safehaven is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process If you require any accommodations, please notify the Search Consultant.
All Safehaven employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with Safehaven policies.