The Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) is seeking an inaugural Director of Development to build our fundraising infrastructure, results and team; and lead our $100M Unite With Ukraine campaign to help Ukrainian civilians whose homes and livelihood have been devastated by Russia’s war on Ukraine. Salary: $120,000 – $150,000
Posted On: August 30, 2022
Closing On: September 27, 2022
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: $120,000 – $150,000
The Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) is seeking an inaugural Director of Development to build our fundraising infrastructure, results and team; and lead our $100M Unite With Ukraine campaign to help Ukrainian civilians whose homes and livelihood have been devastated by Russia’s war on Ukraine.
Headquartered in Canada, the UWC is a non-governmental organization that advances the voice of Ukrainians living inside and outside the Ukraine, with global reach in over 60 countries. Russia’s war on Ukraine commenced in February 2022, creating an urgent role for the UWC to provide critical humanitarian and other supports to the people of Ukraine. Thousands of lives have already been lost and over six million Ukrainians have been displaced as a result of Russia’s war on Ukraine. The $100M campaign hopes to provide Ukrainian civilians with the resources and the necessities they need to live safely and with proper medical care and equipment while defending their homes, families and livelihoods. Launched to support the funding of non-lethal equipment such as protective gear to help ordinary Ukrainians in the Civil Defense Force, the campaign has expanded to include other humanitarian supports and strategic initiatives that are core to the UWC’s mission.
While a philanthropic goal of $100 million USD is unprecedented for the UWC, our fundraising draws on the Congress’s international footprint along with the support of well-known philanthropists, esteemed public figures and thousands of donors. To realize this ambitious target, the UWC will require a team of development professionals with skill sets across a wide range of fundraising disciplines. Led by the Director of Development, the team will work collaboratively with the volunteer culture that is already embedded within the organization to expand the current pipeline towards principal and major gifts as well as bequests, while simultaneously creating inspired cultivation and stewardship strategies that build engagement with donors and the greater community.
Reporting into the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Development will be a senior member of the UWC executive team. Working collaboratively with the CEO, UWC Executive Committee and Board of Directors, the new Director of Development will lead the preparation of campaign strategic plans, annual development business plans, and fundraising cases for support while also working with senior volunteers to move donors and prospects through the fundraising cycle. A self starter who is committed to justice and passionate about our mission to serve the Ukrainian people, the new Director is a builder with strategic vision who will advance the fundraising program and implement the required resources and infrastructure; to exponentially grow the UWC’s financial resources and overall impact.
This is a critical time in the UWC’s history providing the new Director with an opportunity to make an important social and humanitarian impact and create a legacy that has the power to impact the livelihoods of millions of people across the globe.
ABOUT THE UKRAINIAN WORLD CONGRESS
Established in 1967, the Ukrainian World Congress is the global voice for the Ukrainian people worldwide. As an international non-governmental organization, we represent the interests of over 20 million Ukrainians in the diaspora, unite Ukrainian communities and organizations in over 60 countries, and work to support a democratic, prosperous, European Ukraine.
The UWC is recognized by the United Nations Economic and Social Council as a non-governmental organization with special consultative status and has a participatory status as an international non-governmental organization with the Council of Europe.
For over 50 years, the UWC has served to unite Ukrainians all over the world around shared goals and values.
KEY MISSION AREAS
- Advancing Ukraine’s development as a modern, democratic, prosperous nation
- Fostering Ukraine’s historical and cultural heritage globally
- Strengthening the international coalition to counter Russian aggression and disinformation
- Building prosperous and influential Ukrainian communities in the diaspora
- Strengthening ties between Ukrainians in the Diaspora and Ukraine
- International recognition of Holodomor as genocide of the Ukrainian people
- International recognition of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine
- Promoting the granting of Patriarchal status to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
UNITE WITH UKRAINE CAMPAIGN
Unite With Ukraine — a new initiative from the Ukrainian World Congress — is making it easy for leading North American philanthropists to donate to funds to support ordinary Ukrainians who are valiantly resisting Russia’s cruel and senseless war on Ukraine. Our goal is to raise $100 million (USD) to help provide protective gear, vital first aid and medical equipment to the people of Ukraine.
Russia’s war on Ukraine has claimed thousands of lives, left cities in ruin, and unleashed the fastest- growing refugee crisis since the Second World War. Close to six million people have already fled Ukraine — the vast majority of them women and children — and millions more are displaced within the country. Despite the onslaught, Ukrainians have put up fierce resistance and stood their ground.
They need medical supplies, helmets, vests, night-vision goggles, boots, fuel, and communications systems to stay alive. Ordinary clothing does nothing against Russian bullets and bombs.
The time to act is now. Russian forces are intensifying indiscriminate attacks on civilian targets and infrastructure by bombarding hospitals, railway stations, apartment buildings, residential neighbourhoods, shopping malls, and grocery stores. Innocent people — including children — are dying every day. These reckless, criminal acts are part of a grim calculation to terrorize civilians, destroy local infrastructure, and break the will of the Ukrainian people to defend themselves.
In the space of just a few months, the war has created a massive humanitarian crisis, driven up global energy prices and inflation, and threatened food security around the world. The war also attacks the very ideals and structures that have brought peace, stability, and prosperity to much of the world over the last 75 years.
Ukrainian citizens are the first responders to the most serious threat democracies have seen in more than a generation. They are putting up remarkable resistance and holding their ground against unimaginable terror. They are fighting for survival and a chance to build a better world.
Ordinary Ukrainian civilians are making extraordinary sacrifices to secure a future for their families, their country, and democracy in Europe. Their survival depends on our support.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy & Planning
- Develop the annual business plan for the department setting the fundraising strategic direction in support of approved fundraising priorities in alignment with the strategic goals of UWC.
- Create and manage the department operating budget, approve expenditures in accordance with UWC accounting policies; and liaise with external vendors and consultants in the delivery of the annual development program.
- Build the overall culture of philanthropy at UWC to develop fundraising as a core competency that is defined by professionalism, support of donor cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition, adherence to principles of transparency and the pursuit of measurable goals.
- Serve as the “Chief Development Officer” and campaign director, delivering strategic oversight of all revenue streams with direct responsibility for all principal gift strategies and seven-figure major gift negotiations while managing the Unite with Ukraine
- Work collaboratively with senior leadership, volunteers and external partners on the preparation of campaign strategic plans, annual plans, and fundraising cases for support.
- Build the donor pipeline and ensure prospects and donors are moving through all stages of the fundraising cycle in a strategic and timely manner.
- Introduce principal and major gift fundraising through staff expertise that can manage long-term relationships and design complex gift structures to support the goals of the Unite with Ukraine
- Introduce leadership annual giving to bridge the donor pipeline between the annual fund and major gift fundraising.
- Support the solicitation of unrestricted donations through the annual fund campaign.
- Manage a portfolio of 7-figure plus gifts, the development of new prospects and donor relationships.
- Ensure that donor-facing fundraisers are fully supported through research, stewardship and communications services.
- Build systematic donor stewardship practises through a dedicated donor relations position that advances the donor life cycle from annual giving to major gift fundraising.
- Build core competencies in fundraising communications to support the crafting of strategic narratives that inspire philanthropic investments.
- Manage strategic partnerships with other organizations as they support the UWC’s fundraising objectives.
- Recruit a team of professional staff with diverse skills across a range of key development functions.
- Manage a team of fundraising, research and communications professionals to realize annual and campaign fundraising targets.
- Manage, motivate, monitor and mentor staff as required.
- Recruit, train and support development committee and individual volunteers.
- Support the Executive Director and the senior team of volunteers in the delivery of UWC’s fundraising strategies.
- Work with the UWC President, Executive Director, and other senior volunteers in the cultivation and solicitation of prospective donors.
- Progressive senior leadership roles in the not-for-profit sector, or relevant experience in the corporate sector.
- Proven track record in all aspects of revenue development, including pipeline development and the solicitation and management of gifts at the six and seven figure level.
- Demonstrated ability to align strategic and philanthropic plans to promote, support and meet the revenue deliverables.
- Significant experience building fundraising infrastructure including policies, processes and metrics that contribute to revenue growth.
- Proven history building and managing successful teams with demonstrated success creating team engagement and alignment to leverage collective strengths and motivating staff to meet fundraising goals.
- Demonstrated comfort level and success supporting senior volunteers with fundraising activities.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to influence, persuade and motivate. Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to constructively contribute to discussions and build rapport at all levels within an organization.
- Proven relationship building skills with the ability to collaborate and build trusting relationships with diverse groups.
- Strong influencing and collaboration skills with a proven ability to work cross-functionally within a team environment to complete projects and meet targets.
- Proficiency in constituent relationship management (CRM) tools.
- Superior planning, organization, and time management skills.
- Passion for the mission of the UWC is essential.
- Interest, experience, and/or exposure to political affairs will be considered an asset.
- The ability to speak Ukrainian will be considered an asset.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) is working with KCI Search + Talent to recruit talented candidates for this important position.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to UWC@kcitalent.com by September 27, 2022. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis, and candidates may be invited to interview before the deadline.
The salary range for this position is $120,000 to $150,000 plus the potential for a performance bonus of up to 10% along with a benefits package.
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
Ukrainian World Congress (UWC) is committed to providing an inclusive workplace that embraces diversity, values differences and supports the full participation of all employees. We offer accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout our hiring process, upon request.
The UWC head office is located in Toronto with branches in Kyiv, New York and Brussels. A remote workplace option will be available to the final candidate with the expectation of regular travel to the Toronto office and other offices as required.