As a member of the Management team, the Director of Development plays a lead role in envisioning, planning, implementing and managing strategic direction for fundraising activities that enable us to achieve our vision: A community in harmony with nature. The Director of Development will lead revenue generation by identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding individual and organizational contributions.
This position reports to the Executive Director, who holds the CFRE designation. As the leader of a “small shop” fundraising team, the successful candidate will bring a mix of oversight, coaching/staff development and direct implementation skills. They will also work directly with the ED on communications, marketing and public relations activities to support TRC’s other mission-driven work. Salary Range: $80,000 – $90,000
Posted On: August 1, 2023
Closing On: September 1, 2023
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Effective: October 15, 2023
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $80,000 – $90,000
The Riverwood Conservancy (TRC) is situated on a 150-acre urban nature preserve on the shores of the Credit River in central Mississauga. Our outdoor education, conservation, stewardship and horticulture programs support people of all cultures, ages, and abilities as they connect with nature within the beautiful natural setting of Riverwood Park.
In recent years TRC has shifted toward a greater emphasis on corporate engagement and individual giving, which has yielded promising results. To continue this momentum and to support the goals and objectives set in our new three-year strategic plan, we are seeking a seasoned and dynamic full-time Director of Development.
Ideally with 8-10 years of experience, an affinity for The Riverwood Conservancy’s mission and a proven track record of success, you will lead TRC’s resource development program, coach and manage a small staff team and guide dedicated volunteers to reach ambitious but realistic goals.
The Riverwood Conservancy is pleased to offer health benefits and a flexible work model. Our office is easily accessible by public transit and located in a heritage home within Riverwood Park, surrounded by forest and gardens.
- Departmental Leadership
Function: to lead and support a collaborative and growth-oriented staff team
- Develops a supportive and inclusive team that works together efficiently, effectively and respectfully
- Engages department staff in achieving annual targets and individual work plans
- Hires, trains, coaches and evaluates all fundraising staff
- Revenue Development
Function: to ensure that TRC’s mission is appropriately resourced with a diverse fundraising mix
- Leads the planning and implementation of an integrated fundraising plan for the organization
- Working with the Executive Director, Board of Directors and volunteers, supports the development and solicitation of contributions from businesses, organizations and individuals
- Oversees and works directly on advancing an identified corporate prospect list
- Leads the writing and development of grants for specific projects and programs in collaboration with program and operations staff
- Develops and executes print and electronic fundraising appeals
- Works with staff and volunteers to develop fundraising, cultivation and recognition events
- Maintains a system for identifying new funder and donor opportunities
- Donor Relations and Stewardship
Function: to create and maintain long-term relationships with TRC funders
- Manages a wide range of donor recognition and retention activities
- Works with team to create fresh and innovative donor outreach over multiple channels (e.g. events, customized video, social media, and others)
- Works with staff to develop compelling print and digital communications pieces that support fundraising efforts
- Systems and Policies
Function: to ensure a consistent and well-understood approach to fundraising actions and processes
- Works across staff departments to develop fundraising and cultivation systems that encourage repeat giving and administrative efficiency
- Analyzes data from Raisers Edge NXT to implement appropriate and effective fundraising practices
- Oversees consistent adherence to database protocols
- Monitors progress on fundraising revenue budget and provides updates to relevant staff
- Develops, implements and monitors adherence to fundraising policies and procedures
- Strategic Leadership
Function: to develop, monitor and evaluate progress on TRC’s longer-term goals from a development perspective
- As a member of TRC’s Management Team, provides strategic leadership for the development department as it intersects with the organization as a whole, including leading the creation of annual budgets and plans
- Brings subject matter expertise to consideration of organization-wide plans and programs
- Champions TRC’s culture of philanthropy
Function: to guide TRC’s communication and marketing-related strategic plan goals and related annual actions
- Works with Executive Director to develop and implement mission-related communications, marketing and public relations beyond the fundraising function
- University or college degree in fund development, communications or related field, or equivalent combination of related work experience and education
- A minimum of 8-10 years of fundraising experience with proven track record in successful solicitation of major gift and grants
- Experience in corporate philanthropy, direct response campaigns and events
- Understanding of and passion for The Riverwood Conservancy’s mission
- Demonstrated leadership experience working in a high performance, team environment, including experience managing fundraising professionals in a supportive manner and supporting high-profile volunteers
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective fund development strategies and processes
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge NXT or similar donor management software
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to tailor communication to specific audiences
- Ability to take initiative, combined with the tenacity to see projects through to completion
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Adept at time management, planning, prioritizing, multi-tasking and follow-through
- CFRE designation or commitment to working towards it preferred
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, as required
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter (in Word or PDF) by September 1, 2023.
The Riverwood Conservancy
4300 Riverwood Park Lane
Mississauga, ON L5C 2S7
The annual salary range for this position is $80,000 – $90,000, commensurate with experience.
We thank all applicants for their interest; we will contact only those applicants selected for further consideration.