Mission Services of London (MSL) is looking for a teamwork-oriented leader with networking skills to join their team as Director of Development & Communications. The Director of Development & Communications is responsible for the development and implementation of Mission Services of London’s fundraising and communications/PR strategy which secures revenue and increases awareness for the organization. You will oversee all aspects of Development & Communications Team programs such as annual and commemorative giving, special events, middle and monthly giving, major gifts, grants, legacy giving, advocacy, marketing, website and database oversight, and gift processing.
If you are a business savvy and collaborative leader with passions and values that align with Mission Services of London, we would love to connect!
Salary Range: $80,000 – $100,000
Posted On: December 5, 2022
Closing On: December 23, 2022
Location: London, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Experience: Senior
Start Date: January 2023
Salary Range: $80,000 – $100,000
This executive search is conducted by Nelson/Kraft & Associates on behalf of Mission Services of London.
WHO WE ARE
Whether it’s providing emergency shelter for an individual or family, or caring for those with mental health needs, Mission Services of London (MSL) is there with a message of hope through faith. MSL is a Christian faith-based social service agency with a focus on serving those who struggle with poverty, addictions, mental illness and homelessness. They provide food, shelter, clothing, crisis intervention, shelter diversion and more.
Mission Services of London opened its doors in January 1951 when fourteen Mennonite families purchased and renovated a home at 536 Talbot Street to provide shelter, food and care for men experiencing homelessness.
Since that time, MSL has helped thousands of people of all ages and backgrounds. Today they operate:
- Community Mental Health Programs – outreach services
- Men’s Mission – an emergency shelter
- Mission Store – a social enterprise
- Quintin Warner House – an addiction treatment centre
- Rotholme Family Shelter – an emergency shelter
Many men and women tell how their lives have been changed significantly as a result of the love, care and respect they received from MSL during difficult periods of their lives. A little help can make a great deal of difference.
To learn more about the work of MSL, visit their website.
That all people are accepted, valued, and can thrive in a caring community.
We actively respond to people experiencing need, affirm human dignity, and inspire hope.
…are grounded in faith.
- Develop fundraising and communications/PR strategies; oversee all aspects of Development & Communications Team programs such as annual giving (including direct marketing, events, middle and monthly giving); major gifts including grants; legacy giving; advocacy; communications (including website) and PR; and gift processing (including donation database).
- Create fundraising and communications/PR goals and budgets; hold Development & Communications Team accountable to these goals and budgets.
- Strategize and implement work plans that achieve the successful cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donations to both MSL and MSL Foundation, as well as building of awareness/advocacy around MSL’s services.
- Identify and qualify new donors, and organize initiatives to solicit/secure funding as appropriate.
- Work jointly with MSL Branches to assess funding needs and develop yearly and long-term fundraising plans.
- Produce regular progress reports for the Senior Leadership Team, as well as MSL and MSL Foundation Board of Directors.
- Review MSL’s and MSL Foundation’s existing fundraising and communications/PR programs on a regular basis; research and assess the feasibility of new or refined methods of generating income and awareness.
- Develop and oversee the maintenance of effective systems to support the fundraising and communications/PR functions (this may involve liaising with other teams such as Finance and Reception).
- Maintain an awareness of the work done throughout MSL via effective communication with other managers and staff groups.
- Provide high-quality line management and support to the Development & Communications Team. This includes mentoring, coaching, establishing mutually agreed upon goals, and conducting probationary and annual performance evaluations.
- Attend meetings of Board of Directors, Board or other Committees and MSL Foundation, as well as regular meetings with the Executive Director and the Senior Leadership Team as required.
- Support the work of the MSL and MSL Foundation Boards as appropriate/required.
- Participate in MSL’s and MSL Foundation’s strategic planning process as required.
- Engage with the media as a designated MSL spokesperson as appropriate.
- Engage in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors to MSL and MSL Foundation, including personally soliciting major and legacy donations and maintaining an assigned prospect portfolio for moves management.
- Craft proposal and stewardship reports or other written communications as necessary.
- Manage external consultants or vendors during projects or ongoing programs as appropriate (e.g. direct marketing firm, legacy giving consulting firm, etc.), and engagement in RFP tenders for aspects relevant to the Development & Communications Team.
- Negotiate, review and sign contracts relevant to the work of the Development & Communications Team as needed.
- Research and create policies relevant to the Development & Communications Team as necessary, and engage in the risk management and accreditation initiatives at MSL.
Fundraising and Finance
- In conjunction with the Executive Director and the Senior Leadership Team, create a fundraising budget to meet organizational goals and objectives.
- Measure and monitor progress of all fundraising initiatives to ensure compliance with budget requirements.
- University degree in Business Administration, Nonprofit Management or other related discipline.
- 5-8 years of fund development experience.
Skills and Alignment
- Confident, articulate business communicator.
- Exceptional interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Results oriented, highly motivated toward achievement and surpassing prior goals.
- Effective in balancing empathy with professionalism.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Fully literate in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social media, videoconferencing (e.g. Teams or Zoom) and fundraising database programs (Salesforce experience is an asset).
- High level of sound and independent judgment, reasoning and discretion.
- Professional, responsive and positive work attitude.
- Resourceful, motivated and energetic.
- Outgoing, inclusive and welcoming in nature.
- Agreement with the Statement of Faith and the ability to model the Vision, Mission and Values of MSL.
- Daily prioritization of responsibilities in order to meet deadlines.
- Discreet in handling confidential or sensitive information; knowledge of applicable data privacy laws.
- Able to make timely, informed decisions that take into account facts, goals, constraints and risks.
- Able to see the big, long-range picture. Align direction, products, services and performance with organization.
- Able to resolve difficult and complicated challenges with poise.
Location: London, ON
Application Deadline: December 23, 2022
Start Date: January 2023
TO APPLY please send a PDF copy of your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
To obtain a complete Opportunity Profile, please visit our website.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. is an executive consulting firm that specializes in working with not-for-profits and for-profit businesses across Canada, assisting them in the placement of senior executives and directors.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. welcomes and encourages all interested applicants to apply for this position. Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. is committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion in its hiring practices, and will only make distinctions among interested applicants in accordance with the applicable Human Rights legislation.
Nelson/Kraft & Associates Inc. also welcomes and encourages applications from candidates with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in the selection process. If you require disability-related accommodation during the recruitment process, please contact us.