The Director of Development will hold a personal portfolio, acting as the key relationship manager while supporting the Executive Director, board and senior volunteers in their fundraising activities. Building on a successful history of loyal and significant support from individual and corporate donors and partners, CJPAC is building and growing their fundraising practice to new levels, and the Director of Development will champion the organization’s ambitious fundraising goals over the short, medium and long-term.
Reporting to the Executive Director and as an active part of the senior leadership team, the Director of Development will support all aspects of the mandate through fundraising initiatives to help the community effectively engage in the democratic process and foster active political participation in Canada’s electoral process.
CJPAC is a national, independent, multi-partisan organization. Our mandate is to engage Jewish and pro-Israel Canadians in the democratic process and to foster active political participation. We are dedicated to helping community members build relationships within the Canadian political arena.
To engage our community in Canada’s democratic process.
CJPAC PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
CJPAC Fellowship Program
The nationally renowned CJPAC Fellowship Program is Canada’s premier political training program.
Each year, the Fellowship Program trains 45 of the top pro-Israel, politically engaged university students from across Canada to become the next generation of political leaders. It provides the opportunity for Fellows to enhance their understanding of all levels of government in Canada, build their networks and develop skills which will help them in their post-graduate careers.
Highlights of the program include:
- A behind-the-scenes look at government, political strategy and communications at seminars led by industry experts
- Participation in election campaign training from key members of different political parties
- Meeting with elected officials and other high-profile guest speakers throughout the year to learn about their political experiences
- Networking with pro-Israel students from campuses across Canada
- Learning how to run successful political engagement events on campus
- Attending political events on and off campus
Over one-third of alumni from the CJPAC Fellowship Program have successfully gone on to work in political offices across levels of government.
Women in Politics
CJPAC offers a variety of programs aimed at advancing the position of women in the political arena, including our Women in Politics Mentorship Program, the round table and speed-mentoring sessions. These events encourage and facilitate discussion about the important roles that women can and play in the political process. The CJPAC Women in Politics Mentorship Program is designed to connect Jewish women (18+) who are interested in becoming more involved in the political process, either personally or professionally, with Jewish mentors who have senior experience in politics, government and communications.
The Women in Politics Mentorship Program is intended to:
- Provide mentees with access to the knowledge and networks of their mentors
- Create networking opportunities for women interested in engaging with Canada’s political process
- Provide mentors with the opportunity to help to shape the next generation of Canadian political leaders by sharing their insight and experience
CJPAC’s Generation: Student Leaders Program is designed specifically for high school students who are politically interested and engaged. This program is open to all Jewish high school students in grades 10-12 (secondary 4 and 5 in Quebec) across Canada. Students gather monthly throughout the school year to meet with a variety of experienced and insightful speakers.
They engage in thoughtful discussions with other young adults that are designed to open the doors to engagement in the democratic process. During these sessions, students enhance their political knowledge, strengthen their voices and hone their skills.
Campaign training teaches key skills for participating in the Canadian democratic process. These programs educate individuals on how to be effective volunteers on an election campaign. The programs focus on the important aspects of every campaign: canvassing, phone calling, voter identification and “get out the vote” strategies. These seminars are interactive and include role-playing activities that give participants hands-on experience with the various positions they may hold as election volunteers.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Overseeing all fundraising for CJPAC which include:
- Establish, coordinate, and execute strategic fundraising plans including measurable goals, and schedule of activities, and associated budgets with an emphasis on increased and sustained revenue.
- Maintain accountability for the major gifts business plans and revenue, in alignment with the CJPAC’s mandate and strategic plan, working with the Executive Director.
- Manage an existing portfolio of major gift prospects/donors to achieve revenue targets.
- Responsible for the targeted cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio of key major donors and prospective donors.
- Lead the implementation of moves management adapted to the specifics of an organization that relies on major gifts that renew annually.
- Devise and execute strategies for securing all gift renewals, growing the donor base, and increasing revenue, including from corporate sponsorships.
- Oversee all donor and sponsor-related events, including the Major Gift Dinner.
- Support an engaged network of lay leaders by providing tools, materials, coaching and advice with respect to their fundraising efforts.
- Collaborate with and support the Senior Leadership Team, the Board, and other staff and volunteers to optimize their effectiveness as fundraisers for CJPAC.
- Coach and advise Regional Directors with respect to their fundraising efforts.
- Work closely with the Senior Leadership Team, Board, and staff to lead the development of integrated plans and strategies for fundraising & stewardship and associated communications.
- Work proactively to build a culture of philanthropy and forge strong commitments and ties to the community, building awareness of the position and its role within the organization.
- Build and enhance the processes and practices necessary for best practice fundraising.
Develop, motivate, and guide the organization’s fundraising culture and best practices.
Communication and Relationship Building
- Manage, maintain, and enhance existing relationships built over time both internally and externally by the Executive Director.
- Support an environment and dialogue of multi-partisan political engagement.
- A gifted influencer and communicator, the successful candidate will prepare the Executive Director, Senior Leadership Team, Board Members and Regional Directors to participate meaningfully in fundraising efforts to develop and nurture relationships with key donors.
- Be a compelling ambassador for CJPAC’s mission, vision, and values. If the candidate is not well versed in the Canadian political system and the specifics around effective political engagement they will need to learn this content so they can communicate in a manner that instills confidence in donors.
QUALIFICATIONS & KEY COMPETENCIES
Experience & Skills
- A demonstrated track record of successful fundraising experience securing significant 4-6 figure major gifts from individual donors with deep expertise in all aspects of major gift fundraising, including cultivation and solicitation of gifts.
- A passionate self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit. Demonstrated ability to align strategic and philanthropic plans to promote, support and meet the revenue deliverables.
- Strategic understanding of the competitive nature of the high profile, high net worth, philanthropic and/or non-profit marketplace, and ability to stand out within it.
- Strong relationship builder who works well in a collaborative environment with diverse groups and donors.
- Excellent communicator with the ability to influence, persuade and motivate. Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to constructively contribute to discussions and build rapport at all levels within an organization.
- Demonstrated success in the ability to bring people and teams together, create engagement, alignment, and leverage their collective strengths to deliver on behalf of the organization.
- Experience in the not-for-profit sector, or relevant experience in private sector.
- Interest, experience, and/or exposure to political affairs an asset.
The incumbent must be:
- A person of strong ethical values and integrity, committed to an environment of honesty and transparency.
- An independent leader who can work with diverse groups of people; can build consensus without being political.
- A person motivated by a desire for success for themselves, the organization, the community, the employees, and all the various stakeholders.
- Determined, dedicated, tenacious, resilient.
- A decisive leader who understands the importance of listening and seeking counsel from others when making decisions.
- University degree, post-graduate or professional degree is an asset. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
- CFRE certification is an asset.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of CJPAC. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Helena Debnam, Senior Search Consultant by email at CJPAC@kcitalent.com. All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by April 19, 2022.
To view full Position Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
CJPAC is committed to supporting an inclusive and accessible environment and will accommodate job applicants with disabilities during the selection process. Applicants requiring accommodation during the interview process should contact Helena Debnam with any inquiries or for assistance. CJPAC welcomes applicants from Jewish and non-Jewish communities and all political parties.
The salary range for this position is $100,000 – $120,000 with a comprehensive benefits package.
This position will be a hybrid role based out of CJPAC’s National Office in Toronto. Candidates ideally will be located in the Greater Toronto area.