Sunnybrook Foundation is seeking an innovative and collaborative leader as their next Director, Marketing & Communications to play a critical role on our senior leadership team. A strategic leader who believes strongly in teamwork, the Director will possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and is able to easily build strong and productive relationships with Foundation staff, senior volunteers, and hospital colleagues.
Reporting to the Vice President, Marketing & Community Engagement, the Director, Marketing & Communications will play an important role on the Foundation’s Senior Management Team, engaging in setting vision, strategic direction, and annual business plans for the Foundation. As an experienced leader the Director will be a strategic thinker, and exceptional team player, working collaboratively with all the business units in the Foundation.
The incumbent will be responsible for the development and implementation of creative and strategic marketing and communications plans designed to support Sunnybrook’s philanthropic mission, brand image and reputation. The work of the Director is directly linked to areas of focus identified in the new strategic plan for Sunnybrook Foundation to increase visibility and further advance our brand. A believer in the power of research and analytics, the ideal candidate will use data and information to guide decision-making, balancing calculated risks with creativity and innovation.
This is an opportunity to build upon a strong foundation while bringing innovation, process-driven best practices, effective project management, consistency, and sustainability to areas of marketing, and special events, with an expanded focus on communications, planning and strategy.
The successful candidate will lead and develop a team of marketing, communications, and event staff responsible for delivering programs, events, and collateral that tell the Sunnybrook story, communicate impact, instil confidence, and inspire giving. The new Director will provide leadership to the department, supervise the implementation of activities, provide approvals on all work, budget management and provide a solutions-based approach to problem-solving.
This is an exciting time to join Sunnybrook Foundation as we invest in new resources, strategies, and structures that will enhance Foundation-Hospital collaboration and create opportunities for partnership and innovation in order to drive revenue growth to advance the mission and vision of Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. The next Director will join a Foundation that has unparalleled momentum at a world-renowned health care centre where life-saving innovation happens every day.
Sunnybrook Foundation works within a hybrid model; a combination of in-office and remote work is anticipated.
ABOUT SUNNYBROOK FOUNDATION
Philanthropy plays a critical role in every discovery, innovation and moment where Sunnybrook provides high-quality care when it matters most.
Sunnybrook Foundation inspires lasting support for Sunnybrook. Together with our donor community, Sunnybrook Foundation raises critical funds for Sunnybrook’s world-class academic health sciences centre to achieve our shared vision to invent the future of health care. Sunnybrook Foundation is committed to leading with our values and developing a model of shared leadership that will support our plans for ambitious growth.
Located within Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre on Bayview Avenue in Toronto, the Foundation consists of more than 75 professionals and support staff who work in close partnership with our Hospital colleagues. With ambitious goals ahead, the Foundation is committed to continuing to grow our results and impact as we help Sunnybrook to raise sights, uncover new possibilities, develop talent, and deliver exceptional care.
Last year, thanks to the commitment of our dedicated volunteers, donors, and staff, we raised more than $80 million to support Sunnybrook’s priorities and we are also fortunate to have an endowment fund of more than $90 million that helps to support Sunnybrook’s mission.
ABOUT SUNNYBROOK HEALTH SCIENCES CENTRE
Sunnybrook is a world-renowned academic health sciences centre with a reputation for providing the highest quality care and for teaching and research excellence. The Hospital’s 13,000 staff, students, physicians, and volunteers provide extraordinary care at critical times in the lives of the more than 1.3 million patients we see each year. Sunnybrook treats more people with their lives on the line than any other hospital in Ontario with over 80 hospitals referring their patients to Sunnybrook every day.
Sunnybrook leads by discovery, innovation, teaching, and learning. We have evolved to become one of Canada’s largest and most dynamic health science centres. First opened in 1948 as Sunnybrook Veterans Hospital and renamed Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in the 1990s, today, Sunnybrook has established itself across three campuses and is home to Canada’s largest trauma centre. Sunnybrook is a fully affiliated University of Toronto teaching hospital.
Our vision at Sunnybrook is to invent the future of health care with a focus on trauma, cardiac, stroke, high-risk pregnancy and newborns, and cancer. Our Primary Care Programs include:
- DAN Women & Babies Program
- Holland Bone & Joint Program
- Hurvitz Brain Sciences Program
- Integrated Community Program
- Odette Cancer Program
- Schulich Heart Program
- John’s Rehab Program
- Tory Trauma Program
- Veterans Program
2021 – 2025 Strategic Plan
Our health care systems in Ontario and across Canada are changing rapidly and as a result, there are significant influences that have shaped our thinking and our goals and objectives within each of our strategic directions. Among these have been the impact of the global pandemic and how this has been a catalyst for change in areas such as accelerating the implementation of our digital care strategies. Our strategic thinking has been cognizant of the significant social justice issues that have been brought to the forefront and we have amplified the important work of addressing equity, diversity, and inclusivity through our Strategic Plan.
Our vision to invent the future of health care remains highly relevant and our passion for innovation is fundamental in our drive to continually improve patient care. As Sunnybrook celebrates its 75th anniversary of caring for our first patient, the hospital continues to live its dual mandate of serving our local community and as a regional centre that provides complex and specialized care when it matters most for Ontarians. Balancing these mandates in times of financial uncertainty remains a challenge and through this plan, the organization is increasingly looking for opportunities to generate new lines of revenue and to ensure efficiencies are realized.
While our 2025 Strategic Plan has been developed during one of the most challenging times in the history of our health care system, the lessons we have learned during this period and the values that define Sunnybrook, have guided our strategy to position us well for a successful future.
- Sunnybrook Hospital
- Sunnybrook Strategic Plan 2021 – 2025
- Sunnybrook Research Institute
- Sunnybrook Education
- Sunnybrook Organization & Medical Structure
- Sunnybrook Facts & Figures
- Sunnybrook Magazine Winter 2021
- 2020 Report to Donors
- Your Impact
- Foundation News & Media
- Sunnybrook Foundation Financial Summary 2021
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage in setting vision, strategic direction, and annual business planning for the Foundation, as a member of the Foundation’s Senior Management Team.
- In collaboration with leaders across the Foundation, develop systems and measures that appropriately assess performance and progress to ensure achievement of SBF’s targets; is accountable for the results.
- As a member of the senior management team, support the model of shared leadership for the Foundation’s growth plan and key organizational priorities.
- Foster key stakeholder relationships to advance the mission of the organization.
- Model SBF values and set the cultural tone within department.
- Adhere to and ensure compliance with Foundation processes, policies, systems, and practices.
Department Planning & Oversight
- Establish the department’s priorities, objectives, and annual goals. Ensure strategies are concretely linked to the department’s as well as SBF’s vision, values, and strategic plan.
- Lead the development and implementation of strategies related to marketing, communications and events
- Manage related budgets and ensure sound financial decisions to efficiently manage resources and deliver revenue.
- Monitor trends in the not-for-profit industry to identify new opportunities.
Marketing, Communications, Brand and Event Management
- In partnership with the VP and Hospital leadership, develop and execute an integrated brand strategy.
- In partnership with the VP, develop and implement strategic directions and annual business plans for marketing & communications and events across the Foundation that are integrated and aligned with the Hospital.
- In partnership with the VP and Hospital leadership, develop a model for the communications and marketing functions across the hospital and foundation to best work together, optimizing resources and impact.
- Provide leadership to the events team and the development of event strategies, to optimize and grow Sunnybrook’s fundraising event portfolios, including the development of a new Sunnybrook signature event.
- Accountable for overall performance for designated programs including maintaining positive public relations and protecting the Foundation and Hospital’s reputation.
- Working collaboratively with peers, provide leadership to Sunnybrook’s digital strategy; evaluate opportunities and requirements to support organizational goals and strengthen the supporter experience.
- Lead the planning and implementation of public-facing strategies and campaigns including integrated brand marketing, public relations, and social media to enhance our visibility.
- Protect the brand and visual identity of the Foundation and ensure adherence to standards.
- Collaborate with VP and Foundation leadership to triage communication priorities.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with our agencies, vendors and other partners for the design and production of campaigns and events.
Team Leadership and Relationship Management
- Manage staff team, including the provision of performance management, coaching, fostering staff development and ensuring the individuals on your team are thriving in their roles.
- Measure, monitor, and manage the overall performance of the program and direct reports against set performance targets.
- Coach and motivate staff and volunteers to achieve program objectives.
- Collaborate and work closely with the hospital’s communications team to maintain and enhance the relationship that exists and ensure that mutual interests are considered and promoted.
- Provide oversight of agency, external vendor, contract, and freelance employee relationships.
- Support the work of the Common Marketing and Communications Committee and work effectively with volunteer members to meet and/or enhance agreed outcomes to advance the mission of the Foundation.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated progressive leadership experience in marketing, strategic communications, and brand management.
- Strong understanding of digital marketing, communications, and events.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop professional and management-level employees with diverse skills and experience.
- Experience guiding and motivating staff with the ability to develop and mentor individuals and teams toward success.
- Proven success in developing relationships, engaging, and working with senior volunteers, physicians, and hospital administration (or equivalent) in a complex environment to advance the mission of the organization.
- Ability to liaise and build relationships with senior managers and strategic partners (internal and external).
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence with the ability to lead cross-functional teams, and task forces to gain consensus with values-based leadership.
- Work comfortably in a highly collaborative environment; manage competing interests and maintain a positive, flexible, and responsive attitude.
- Understand and successfully navigate the philanthropic industry, keeping abreast of best practices locally, regionally, and globally.
- Strong judgement skills, and experience identifying and anticipating issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and interest in promoting a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility; previous experience and understanding of working with staff, volunteers, and donors from diverse cultural, socio-economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Experience working in a hospital environment and/or health-related charity is an asset.
- Experience working in a fundraising and/or not-for-profit setting is an asset
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Sunnybrook Foundation. For more information about this Foundation leadership opportunity, please contact Helena Debnam, Senior Consultant, KCI Search + Talent by email at SBFMARCOM@kcitalent.com.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by September 9, 2022.
Sunnybrook Foundation is strongly committed to inclusion and diversity within its community and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: visible minorities, all religions and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Sunnybrook Foundation is committed to providing accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require accommodation for disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.
Please note that the salary range for this position is $132,000 -$165,000
To view the full Position Brief, visit www.kcitalent.com