Reporting to the Chief Development and Marketing Officer, the Director of Marketing & Communication leads by example with optimism, passion, and initiative. This role is responsible for the team’s success by developing, managing, and measuring marketing and branding strategies, and building Scott Mission’s solid reputation across the City of Toronto and beyond. This includes directing the efforts of the marketing and communications staff and coordination at the strategic and tactical levels with the other functions of the organization, working in close collaboration with Philanthropy. This position sits on the leadership team of Scott Mission and is responsible on that team for the execution of Mission strategies.
Salary Range: $90,000 – $100,000
Posted On: April 19, 2023
Closing On: May 12, 2023
Location: GTA (Hybrid)
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $90,000 – $100,000
Scott Mission currently operates with a flexible, hybrid work environment of two days per week in-office minimum (one of those days will be Wednesday as that is a core in-office day)
Scott Mission is a Christian ministry of mercy and love. It aims to meet the needs of people with love and compassion and seeks to bring spiritual, physical, and emotional wholeness to their lives. Our Vision Prayer is Poverty in full retreat, flourishing for all, in Toronto and beyond.
Scott Mission was founded in 1941 by Rev. Morris and Mrs. Annie Zeidman as a non-denominational Christian organization responding to the needs of people of all ages experiencing poverty and oppression. Religious belief and practice are never conditions for receiving assistance, and everyone is welcome regardless of faith background. In addition to addressing the physical and emotional needs of those we serve, Scott Mission is committed to the spiritual well-being of all people through the life and witness of Jesus Christ.
Last year, support from donors delivered over 180,000 hot meals, 35,000 orders of groceries, 14,600 nights of safe emergency shelter, community events, a summer camp for kids, youth programming, daycare for children and more. As the needs of our neighbours in Toronto increases, Scott Mission is also adding new services to better care for our communities. We have expanded shelter services to 24/7, added clinical counselling and case management to promote health and healing, and are making significant changes to our main facility on Spadina Avenue.
The Mission is privately funded and employs over 160 dedicated staff at 502 Spadina Road, Family Centre in East York, Collingwood Retreat Centre, Scott Mission Camp in Caledon as well as our newest location, the Hub, due to open summer 2023 at 5 McLachlan Drive, Etobicoke. While initially located at 502 Spadina Road, the position of Director, Marketing & Communications, will move to the Hub when it opens ~ https://scottmission.com/2022/11/24/our-new-hub/
Position Responsibilities Include:
Leadership & Management
- Commit to providing servant-leadership nourishing a truthful, forgiving, approachable, joyful, healthy environment.
- Lead a time of three full-time marketing and communications professionals.
- Partner with other Marketing and Philanthropy leaders to build a culture of Philanthropy across Scott Mission and to meet strategic revenue goals.
- Model open and transparent communication and work collaboratively within the Marketing and Philanthropy department and the Mission as a whole for the good of the organization, in support of the Mission’s mission, vision, core values, and strategic plan.
- Direct the development and execution of digital and traditional marketing, communications, and public relations strategies that enhance the organization’s image and position.
- Create and execute the Media Engagement Plan, which includes earned media, unsolicited media inquiries, press conferences, media commentary:
- Equip Mission spokespeople to speak with media. Act as liaison and coordinate interviews.
- Develop a portfolio of strong media relations.
- Maintain Crisis Communications action plan and prepare spokespeople for action.
Fundraising Capacity and Growth
- Develop Scott Mission’s fundraising capacity through Direct Response programs and Monthly Giving channels in partnership with the Mission’s lead agency and other partners.
- Oversee growth of both social and digital channels for fundraising and communications:
- Develop in-house fluency and capacity to assess success and understanding of digital marketing; work with agency/partner for growth.
- Partner with the philanthropy department on creating a donor journey strategy and plan.
- Develop and/or oversee digital campaigns for donation retention, acquisition, and upgrades.
- Oversee Social Media strategy and growth of community goals.
- Stay abreast of industry best-practices.
Promote and Protect Scott Mission’s Brand
- Ensure staff understand and can communicate Mission Brand.
- Create easily accessible and useful Brand Resources.
- Collaborate with other Leadership on incorporating Brand into communication, work expectations, and plans to build Brand acceptance and action.
- Ensure Brand is represented at all Scott Mission physical locations.
- Work with Communications department and all external agencies to provide a consistent Brand Identity externally.
Lead Content Creation Strategy
- Create and oversee the Communications Calendar, ensuring quality, timely content is provided for website, philanthropy, social media, and other channels.
- Liaise with thought leaders at the Mission to position Scott Mission as an expert in relevant areas of expertise: homelessness, poverty, food security, etc.
- Assign the majority of the writing for the articles and website, donor mail; assign the research and writing of thought leadership articles; write copy for ads, campaigns, and articles as needed.
- Collect client stories from across the Mission for internal and external media use; oversee the assigning of interviews and library collection with clients/staff .
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 7+ years’ experience in Marketing, Communications, and Public Relations.
- Demonstrated success in communications strategy development, preferably in a Non-Profit/Charitable organization.
- Proven experience leading, inspiring and mentoring teams to meet key objectives and targets.
- Experience leading a successful Direct Marketing program as well as developing and leading a Digital Marketing program.
- Experience implementing a successful brand strategy.
- Able to adapt to new assignments and apply best practices to refine and improve work processes and procedures.
- Sound understanding of the media landscape, understanding of social media activation, and community/donor engagement.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments, meet deadlines, work both collaboratively and independently as appropriate.
- Strong copy writing skills. Preferably previous experience in a role with strong emphasis on writing and editing.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills.
- A strong team player with a desire to learn and collaborate.
- Computer literacy, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Experience with a CRM system, preferably Raiser’s Edge.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the AFP guidelines & Donor Bill of Rights.
- Sound understanding of and experience operating within CRA and CCCC guidelines, that relate to financial and gift-in-kind donations and donor recognition.
- Must be well organized with strong attention to detail.
- Relevant University degree
- Ongoing professional development
- Demonstrated commitment to Scott Mission Statement of Faith and a heart to see lives transformed.
- Compliance with Scott Mission policies and practices.
This search is being conducted on behalf of Scott Mission by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders and fundraisers for Canada’s non-profit sector. Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, through our website, in confidence.
To submit your application by May 12, 2023, please visit https://crawfordconnect.com/for-candidates/job-openings/#/posting/PR-257 to upload your cover letter and resume in two separate documents. Issues with applying? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the position, please contact Janice Wooster at email@example.com or 416.388.4049. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
If someone in your professional network is qualified and may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this information – we’d be pleased to connect with them.