Michael Garron Hospital Foundation is seeking an experienced and dynamic Director, Marketing and Communications to cultivate and leverage our brand equity, who is also passionate about investing in our hospital and building a healthier, stronger east end.
Posted On: 2021-09-15
Closing On: 2021-10-11
Location: Toronto, ON
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reporting to the President, the Director plays a critical role on our executive team, working collaboratively with Foundation colleagues and as the primary partner to our Hospital’s communications team. Responsible for developing and implementing an integrated marketing and communications plan, the Director will increase our visibility and further advance our brand which will ultimately lead to increased revenue to meet our fundraising objectives.
A strategic leader who believes strongly in teamwork, the Director will possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and is able to easily build strong and productive relationships with Foundation colleagues, senior volunteers, and hospital colleagues. An experienced and confident writer who puts fundraising and donor needs first, the Director will also be a successful project manager who is not afraid to take a hands-on approach to meet deadlines and objectives. A believer in the power of data and analytics, the ideal candidate will use data to guide decision making, balancing calculated risks with creativity and innovation.
Located in East Toronto within a setting that values employee wellness, strong relationships, and where quality care is close to home, Michael Garron Hospital has been named one of the Greater Toronto’s Top Employers for several years.
ABOUT MICHAEL GARRON HOSPITAL
Michael Garron Hospital provides care from birth to end-of-life, serving 400,000 people in East Toronto. We deliver first-rate care on a first-name basis—90 per cent of the healthcare people need, at a level of excellence rivaling anywhere else in the city. We are also developing tomorrow’s healthcare leaders, with the largest community and family medicine teaching program affiliated with the University of Toronto.
For nearly 90 years, we have delivered high-quality, patient-centred healthcare services in 22 distinct neighbourhoods. The hospital has continually renewed its commitment to the East Toronto community by adapting its programs and services to meet the evolving needs of the diverse population it serves. Our goal is to create a space where everyone feels safe, accepted, and compassionately cared for.
Michael Garron Hospital is a division of Toronto East Health Network with a catchment area that is unique in Toronto and one of the most diverse in Canada. Forty percent of the people we care for are new Canadians. One quarter of our catchment is low income, and we are home to the highest proportion of refugees in the city of Toronto. More seniors live alone here than anywhere else in the city. Poverty and isolation—two of the most critical social determinants of health—disproportionately affect people in our neighbourhoods.
Like many areas of the hospital, our diversity can also be seen in our Spiritual Care team of inter-faith chaplains. We have made efforts to ensure patients, families and community members of all faiths and expressions of spirituality feel welcomed and cared for.
We are proud of our strong community, clinical, research and academic partnerships, including the University of Toronto, Sunnybrook Health Sciences, The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), Centennial College, George Brown College, Michener Institute, Ryerson University and York University.
MGH’s Stavro Emergency Department (ED) is one of the busiest in the City of Toronto, serving nearly 80,000 people per year, with one fifth of patients being children. We have partnered with SickKids for more than a decade to provide East Toronto children with the best and most current paediatric practices in emergency care closer to home.
As a Thoracic Surgery Level I Centre of Excellence in Ontario, MGH delivers the highest level of thoracic surgical care in the province in partnership with Sunnybrook, North York General Hospital and Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie. MGH thoracic surgeons work with a highly specialized multi-disciplinary team to provide round-the-clock on-call treatment to patients and families.
The mental health of the East Toronto community is a top priority for the hospital. Our skilled interdisciplinary teams work in partnership with children, adolescents, teens, and adults to support treatment goals through inpatient, outpatient, emergency and community outreach services. The Aboriginal Healing Program, led by Elder Little Brown Bear, supports community members with addictions and mental health by combining western and traditional methods of healing, including sacred medicines, sage, sweetgrass, tobacco and cedar for smudging ceremonies.
We deliver close to 3,000 babies per year in our Family Birthing Centre, a state-of-the-art, welcoming environment offering a safe and inclusive birthing experience for all families. MGH offers Level II Maternity and Neonatal Care and has proudly been named “Baby Friendly,” an official designation by the World Health Organization that acknowledges our commitment to the promotion, protection, and support of breastfeeding.
OUR VISION, MISSION & VALUES
Create Health. Build Community.
Our community inspires us to deliver exemplary care, develop innovative partnerships and mentor the next generation of healthcare providers. Together we will make a difference and change the face of health in East Toronto and beyond.
Compassion. Integrity. Courage. Accountability.
WHO IS MICHAEL GARRON?
Michael Garron was born at Toronto East General Hospital in 1961 to Myron and Berna Garron. While the Garrons later moved away from East York, the hospital where their son was born remained in their hearts and minds.
As a child, Michael was diagnosed with a rare tissue cancer. The disease led to his tragic passing at the age of 13. Prior to his passing, Michael confided in his mother Berna that his greatest fear of dying young was that he would not be remembered. It is for that reason, in addition to a generous donation from Myron and Berna Garron, that we name our hospital in Michael’s memory.
Now, we can proudly say that Michael will never be forgotten.
ABOUT MICHAEL GARRON HOSPITAL FOUNDATION
Michael Garron Hospital Foundation raises funds and engages our community in support of our hospital. A donation to Michael Garron Hospital is an investment in the prosperity of each and every person living in East Toronto. When members of our community are healthy, they are able to reach their full potential and better contribute to their family, neighbourhood, and ultimately, Canadian society.
Our close-knit 20-person Foundation team is committed to the well-being of the community and takes pride in the work they do to improve the lives of those in East Toronto. We have a strong relationship with the Hospital administration and physicians and share a passion for service to the community.
East Toronto is one of Canada’s most diverse communities, with more newcomers, children, elderly people living alone, and refugees than elsewhere in the city. And just as diverse as the faces in the hospital’s hallways are the healthcare needs of our community. Supporting the Heart of the East means supporting the well-being of our vibrant community. Because when people are healthy, everyone around them benefits.
It is an exciting time at the Michael Garron Hospital Foundation as the successful close of our Heart of the East Campaign, a $100-million fundraising effort in support of the hospital’s historic $560-million redevelopment is one year away. The Heart of the East will transform a large part of our campus, including construction of the new, eight-storey Ken and Marilyn Thomson Patient Care Centre and the dramatic redevelopment of our existing facility.
- Michael Garron Hospital Foundation Website
- 2020-21 Annual Report
- 2020-21 Financial Statements
- Our Fundraising Priorities
- Upcoming MGHF Events
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and Planning
- Lead the development, alignment, and implementation of effective marketing and communications strategies and plans.
- Serve as the Foundation’s key advisor on communications, including media relations and public relations as well as new marketing and communications trends in the charitable sector.
- Collaborate with Foundation leadership to triage communication priorities.
- Enhance and build project management and marketing processes and assets.
- Monitor trends in the not-for-profit industry to identify new opportunities.
- Support the Foundation strategic planning process as required.
- Manage related budgets and ensure sound financial decisions to efficiently manage resources.
Content Development and Writing
- Work cross-functionally with colleagues (Major Gifts, Planned Giving, Annual Programs, Events, and Stewardship) to provide strategic advice and integrate communications strategies to reach fundraising goals.
- Write, research, and prepare compelling written proposals and impact reports at the leadership giving level ($1 million+).
- Liaise with Hospital physicians and senior management to gather compelling stories of patient experiences, showcasing the excellence and innovation of the hospital’s services that will be used to create exceptional communication materials.
- Oversee the production of all marketing and communications materials, including but not limited to proposals, donor impact reports, cases for support, e-newsletters, event collateral, website, e-communications and speaking notes.
- Produce the Foundation and Hospital’s joint Annual Report.
- Lead the design and production of key collateral, including the Foundation’s cases for support, brochures, signage, video, and photography.
Marketing and Brand Management
- Be the inhouse subject matter expert on marketing for philanthropy and the not-for-profit sector.
- Lead the planning and implementation of public facing strategies and campaigns including integrated brand marketing, public relations, and social media to enhance our visibility.
- Provide strategic oversight and advice to ensure communications are aligned with strategic direction and priorities.
- Leverage a portfolio of traditional media, digital media, and community engagement opportunities to nurture existing donors, acquire new supporters, and leverage successes to raise awareness.
- Work with our AOR and media buyer to oversee the design and production of public campaigns.
- Manage website, digital and social media strategy and develop content to support priorities, activities, and programs in collaboration with all organizational teams.
- Protect the brand and visual identity of the Foundation and ensure adherence to standards.
Leadership and Stakeholder Relations
- Contribute as a supportive and active member of the senior leadership team to enhance the overall success of Foundation priorities and activities.
- Lead a high performing team of three (two writers, one digital and design specialist) that provides communication services.
- Provide team leadership with an emphasis on mentoring, coaching, and promoting collaboration with fundraising teams.
- Create clear performance metrics for each marketing and communications team member.
- Collaborate and work closely with the hospital’s communication’s team to maintain the exceptional relationship that exists and ensure that mutual interests are considered and promoted.
- Provide oversight of agency, external vendor, contract, and freelance employee relationships.
- Manage the Foundation Marketing and Communications Committee and work effectively with volunteer members to meet and/or enhance agreed outcomes.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Progressive leadership experience in marketing and brand management. Experience working in a hospital environment and/or health-related charity is an asset.
- Experience working in a fundraising or an advancement setting.
- Exceptional written communication skills, preferably in support of fundraising and donor relations.
- Ability to develop and execute public facing strategies and plans.
- Capable of building trusting and effective relationships internally and externally with diverse stakeholder groups.
- Creative and results oriented with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with the ability to effectively monitor, analyze, and deliver on KPIs.
- Able to manage a wide variety of accountabilities while delivering projects on time and on budget.
- Thrives in a high pressure, deadline driven environment with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects and last-minute changes.
- Highly adaptable and flexible, with the ability to prioritize and work comfortably as part of a small-but-nimble team.
- Demonstrated experience leading high performing teams.
- Experience working with senior volunteers and boards is an asset.
- InDesign and Drupal experience would be considered an asset.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Michael Garron Hospital Foundation. For more information about this Foundation opportunity, please contact Samantha David, or Helena Debnam, Senior Search Consultants KCI Search + Talent by email at MGHF@kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by October 11, 2021.
To view the full position brief please visit: www.kcitalent.com
Compensation: We offer an industry leading pension plan (HOOPP), a comprehensive group health and dental benefits package, fitness classes and gym membership, an employee discount program, and tuition assistance. Our target salary range is $100,000 – $115,000 annually, with an additional performance-based bonus of up to 6%.
This role is based out of our Foundation offices in the Michael Garron Hospital in Toronto. Post-pandemic we may explore an option of a flexible work environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds. MGHF accommodates job applicants with disabilities during the selection process.