Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHNF) is seeking a highly motivated Director, Major Gifts to drive key relationship management and revenue generation activities in support of the $100M campaign for SHN. The incumbent will manage a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors and support board members and senior volunteers to help achieve revenue goals and other targets.
Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHNF) is seeking a highly motivated Director, Major Gifts to drive key relationship management and revenue generation activities in support of the $100M campaign for SHN. The Director, Major Gifts will play a pivotal role in this campaign helping to build the profile and reach of the Foundation by managing a portfolio of major gift prospects and donors and supporting board members and senior volunteers to help achieve revenue goals and other targets.
Scarborough Health Network has three hospitals with multiple satellite sites across Scarborough. A full-service hospital network, SHN is on its way to becoming Canada’s leading community teaching hospital. With renowned programs and services, SHN is also an excellent training setting for healthcare professionals and is affiliated with the University of Toronto and other educational institutions.
Reporting to the Executive Vice-President, Philanthropy, and as part of a high performing major gifts team, the ideal candidate will be passionate about healthcare philanthropy and particularly the mission of our dynamic healthcare organization serving one of the most diverse communities in the world. Driven by the desire to make a difference in the lives of individuals and expand services to underserved communities, the Director will be both a leader and doer and is a highly organized self-starter with proven experience achieving fundraising targets and growing revenue in a philanthropic environment.
The new Director, Major Gifts will join a supportive and collegial team of professionals who are hardworking and highly committed to the unique value proposition of SHN. As a team we lift each other up and celebrate each others success. The new Director will embody these values and approach to teamwork while also sharing their unique skills and experience to enhance overall results.
Independent and outcome focussed, the Director is productive working in a home office setting and within our offices located at the Scarborough General site.
ABOUT SCARBOROUGH HEALTH NETWORK
Scarborough Health Network was created through a merger of The Scarborough Hospital’s Birchmount and General sites and Rouge Valley Health System’s Centenary site in December 2016. Working with many community and government partners, patients, staff, physicians, volunteers, and donors, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is transforming patient care and outcomes today and charting a new course to create a healthier tomorrow.
As the third largest community health network in Ontario, SHN programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. Across the three hospitals and eight satellite sites, SHN employs some of our generation’s best physicians, nurses and medical professionals. These teams are delivering exceptional clinical expertise and techniques to treat Scarborough’s patients and families effectively, inclusively and with compassion.
SHN is home to Ontario’s largest nephrology program, and operates the fourth largest maternal and newborn program in the province. We deliver North America’s largest regional community-based cardiovascular rehabilitation program, and are the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. SHN is also home to a state-of-the-art Eye Centre specializing in glaucoma and cataracts surgeries, and currently operates the second-largest community-based mental health and addiction program in Ontario, with over 10,000 referrals to our outpatient programs each year.
SHN is a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto, and a partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals.
In 2018, SHN created a new strategic plan to achieve its Vision of becoming Canada’s leading community teaching health network – transforming your health experience. The 2018-2023 Strategic Plan places a strong focus on teaching and research to provide the very best care, train the next generation of health care professionals, and foster a culture that celebrates our team’s ideas and creativity.
- Build Our Culture to Empower and Inspire Our People
- Improve Population Health, Health Equity, and System Integration
- Transform the Patient Experience through Innovation, Education and Research
- Set a New Standard for Exceptional Quality and Patient Safety
Programs and Services
SHN is committed to providing exceptional care with access to core services such as emergency departments, laboratories, medical imaging, and pharmacy. They offer specialized programs across three hospitals, including:
ABOUT SCARBOROUGH HEALTH NETWORK FOUNDATION
Situated in one of the most diverse communities in the world, Scarborough Health Network Foundation inspires the support necessary to improve patients’ lives through exceptional care at Scarborough Health Network. The Foundation works with generous donors, volunteers, and community members to support the Scarborough Health Network’s vision to be Canada’s leading community teaching health network. Currently raising over $12 million annually, the Foundation is developing an ambitious plan to increase its presence in the hospital and the community and grow its base of support through its $100M major fundraising campaign.
The Foundation has embarked on an ambitious fundraising campaign dedicated to building the health care infrastructure that Scarborough needs and deserves. The first phase of the multi-year campaign is focused on raising $100 million for four transformative initiatives:
- Medical Imaging & Vascular Centre at the General hospital to bring all diagnostic imaging services into one location for efficient, patient-focused delivery.
- The Bridletowne Neighbourhood Centre, a community hub for dialysis treatment, diabetes education, and chronic disease management.
- New and larger Emergency Departments at Centenary and Birchmount hospitals to continue care for the growing community.
- Create a community-based mental health hub in central Scarborough that is inclusive, accessible and efficient.
- Transforming care in areas such as cardiac and seniors care.
- State-of-the-art medical equipment across all hospitals.
With the recruitment of a Campaign Chair, Honorary Chairs, and a Campaign Cabinet, SHN Foundation has built a strong team that will engage not only the Scarborough community, but also downtown business leaders and prominent GTA philanthropists. Working with the Campaign Chair and key partners, SHN Foundation is developing the creative approach and marketing positioning for the Campaign that will have a multiplier effect across Annual Giving and Community Development.
- SHN Foundation Youtube Channel
- Scarborough Health Network
- Scarborough Health Network Foundation
- SHN Foundation Events
- Philanthropic Councils
- SHN Foundation 2021 Financial Statements
- SHN COVID-19 Response
- SNHF COVID-10 Impact Report
- SHN Foundation News
- SHN Foundation Board of Directors
- Ways To Give
- Donor Recognition
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and manage a portfolio of 100+ donors/prospects at the $25,000+ level in various stages of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship, and ensure appropriate movement through the pipeline to achieve annual revenue targets starting at $750K.
- Use creative communications and proactive tactics to increase and develop donor prospects.
- Engage and lead a team of board members and senior volunteers to inspire donors to support SHN’s priorities. Provide direct support to assigned volunteers and ensure they are prepared to initiate solicitation, attend fundraising calls and deliver other activities that support the needs of the hospital and the Foundation.
- Assist in the recruitment, orientation, training and motivation of volunteers who support major gift goals and programs.
- Support key activities related to the $100M campaign including participation in strategy sessions and in cabinet and sub-committee meetings.
- Work with the Executive Vice President, Philanthropy and other Foundation staff to develop an internal physician leadership giving plan and execution strategy.
- Collaborate with physicians and clinical staff to develop a plan to convert grateful patient referrals into gifts.
- Participate in Prospect Management and Strategy meetings and engage in ongoing research and prospect identification activities.
- Deliver highly customized cultivation and solicitation plans to donors and prospects.
- Create well-written and compelling donor materials and ensure all personal correspondence is aligned with SHNF messaging.
- Collaborate with the Executive Vice President, Philanthropy to develop and implement strategies in support of future major giving goals and initiatives, to establish annual revenue targets and metrics and to develop annual objectives and budgets.
- Work collaboratively with other SHNF staff to identify and support strategic opportunities for integrated fundraising with event sponsors and members of the community.
- Act as an ambassador for SHN Foundation both internally with the hospital and externally throughout the community.
- Employ a high level of professionalism and apply best practice methodology to every aspect of the role.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Progressive fundraising and/or sponsorship and/or sales experience with a history of closing gifts or sponsorships in the six-figure range and above.
- Passion for healthcare philanthropy, the mission of SHN and the communities we serve with a strong desire to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community.
- Experience working in a healthcare related and/or not-for-profit environment is considered an asset.
- A collaborative approach with strong relationship building skills and the ability to build trusting relationships with prospects, donors, volunteers, colleagues, hospital staff and the diverse communities served by SHN.
- Demonstrated understating of donor and volunteer management with the comfort level and ability to work with high value philanthropists, community leaders, and business executives.
- Strong influencing and collaboration skills.
- Proven ability to successfully work cross-functionally within a team environment to complete projects and meet targets.
- Proficiency in constituent relationship management (CRM) tools and software. Experience with Raiser’s Edge a definite asset.
- Superior planning, organization, and time management skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and visual presentation skills.
- Undergraduate degree or diploma in fundraising, sales, marketing or a similar field.
- Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) designation or working towards designation considered an asset.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
- A valid driver’s license and use of a car, to travel to donor and other related meetings and between hospital sites.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent is pleased to conduct this search on behalf of Scarborough Health Network Foundation. For more information about this Foundation leadership opportunity, please contact Samantha David, Senior Search Consultant by email at SHNF@kcitalent.com
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by September 20, 2021.
The target salary range for this role is $100,000 to $125,000. An excellent benefits package and a generous performance-based bonus is also available to the successful candidate.
Scarborough Health Network Foundation (SHN Foundation) embraces and celebrates our community′s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.