At the Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation (SJRHF), we believe in the power of community and the ability to inspire generosity, creating a healthier future for New Brunswickers. As a management team member, the Director of Leadership Giving, a skilled practitioner with a solid track record of fundraising success, will excel at providing strategic direction, operations management, and team leadership. The Director will thoughtfully apply best practices to build fundraising initiatives while capitalizing on opportunities to further the success of the Foundation. Drawing on experience in managing comprehensive fundraising programs, including Major Gifts and Planned Giving initiatives, the successful candidate will be adept at developing strategy in concert with the Foundation management team.
Reporting to the Vice President and working in collaboration with the Foundation’s development team, the Director will play a vital role in providing existing and prospective donors with meaningful opportunities to impact health care delivery across New Brunswick.
On February 10, 2022 the SJRHF publicly announced the launch of a $6.2 million appeal to purchase the province’s first surgical robot and fund a three-year program to employ it across several departments capitalizing on Horizon’s Saint John Regional Hospital’s strengths. The campaign has inspired donors from across the province to come together to ensure our top surgeons get the latest technology, so patients can get the best care they deserve right here at home.
ABOUT THE HORIZION HEALTH NETWORK
The Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation has raised over $123,000,000 to advance leading-edge, world-class care for New Brunswickers for over 37 years. Throughout our history, we have funded initiatives outside the scope of government, investing in capital equipment, research, education, mental health and patient support programs. This role represents an exciting opportunity to be part of a highly dedicated, innovative and professional team striving to advance the Foundation to the next highest level in healthcare philanthropy, securing unprecedented investment and gifts for our hospital and healthcare across New Brunswick.
Horizon Health Network (Horizon) is the largest regional health authority in New Brunswick and the second-largest health authority in Atlantic Canada with expertise in diverse areas of health and community services. Focused on delivering quality and safe care to our patients, clients and their families, Horizon operates 12 hospitals and more than 100 medical facilities, clinics and offices throughout New Brunswick. Horizon provides services ranging from acute and specialized care to community-based health services. At the foundation of this health system is a robust network of community-based primary care services offered in a variety of settings in communities throughout the province. Our primary care system is comprised of a number of facilities and services, including community health centres, clinics, public health services, community hospitals, as well as addictions and mental health services. With a collaborative, team approach to offering services in English and French, Horizon delivers sustainable, safe and quality health care services to residents of New Brunswick, as well as northern Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. View the Horizon’s Strategic Plan 2021-2026 here.
ABOUT THE SAINT JOHN REGIONAL HOSPITAL
The Saint John Regional Hospital is the largest tertiary care hospital in New Brunswick and is the primary health care referral centre for this area and to all New Brunswickers for major trauma and cardiac care.The New Brunswick Trauma Program and the New Brunswick Heart Centre are located within the hospital. It is also the center of Dalhousie Medicine New Brunswick’s distributed medical education program. This site offers autologous stem cell therapy, and a new stem cell processing laboratory. A new 44,000 sq. ft. addition to the hospital’s emergency department opened in early 2011.
ABOUT SAINT JOHN REGIONAL HOSPITAL FOUNDATION
The Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation is a team of fundraisers and community leaders who are passionate about inspiring support for Horizon’s Saint John Regional Hospital and vital programs across the province. For over 36 years, the Foundation has been honored to be stewards of the generous gifts donors have given to help fund new technologies, equipment, mental health, research, education and patient support programs. Every day we see the passion of health care providers, the impact of donor generosity and the difference it means for patients. Our purpose is to continue sharing your stories, inspiring community support in helping advance health care in New Brunswick.
- Trust: We believe that a person’s reliability, ability, or strength is core to any relationship.
- Respect: We believe in valuing differences and listening to others to work together toward common goals to make the organization stronger.
- Accountability: We strive to honor commitments we have made and take responsibility for accomplishing our work efficiently and with the highest quality possible.
- Innovation: We believe in imagining what is possible and fostering creativity that challenges constraints and drives progress.
- Leadership: We believe in the courage to rise above challenges, work through adversity and inspire others.
Our funding priorities outline the causes we support to further our mission and vision.
The largest tertiary-care hospital in New Brunswick and provincial leader in minimally invasive and cardiac surgeries, the Foundation is on a mission to raise $6.2 million to purchase the province’s first surgical robot and fund a three-year program. The da Vinci robot will be employed across several departments, including cardiac, urology, and obstetrics, capitalizing on Horizon’s Saint John Regional Hospital’s strengths – setting the stage for the next level of surgical program excellence.
The New Brunswick Heart Centre is the province’s only tertiary cardiac care centre, providing cutting-edge care to a million Atlantic Canadians. The Foundation works with generous donors to equip the Heart Centre team with the latest technology, life-saving equipment and innovation advancing cardiac and vascular care for patients.
Recognizing that the cancer journey extends far beyond the treatment process for survivors and their loved ones, the Foundation is growing an endowment fund to ensure more patients can access Stay Strong, a 12-week cancer survivorship program at no cost for years to come.
MENTAL HEALTH & ADDICTIONS
Now more than ever, the Foundation is refocusing on projects that support innovative and effective mental health programs. Through our MindCare fund, we are committed to advancing meaningful initiatives missing the care model to improve the mental health and wellbeing of New Brunswickers.
RESEARCH & EDUCATION
Investing in research and education translates into improved treatment and outcomes for patients. Donor generosity can help uncover discoveries, educate health care providers, and change the way health care is delivered in New Brunswick.
PATIENT SUPPORT PROGRAMS
Patient support programs provide the little things that have an immediate impact on improving the patient experience, both with comfort and care and giving patients access to items they may not be able to afford or access.
In 2020-2021, the Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation revenues totalled $11.8 million and a total of $3.8 million was granted to support advancements in priority areas. Of the total revenues raised, $4.4 million resulted from major gifts received from individuals, foundations, and corporations and $ $264,483
was received from planned gifts.
The Foundation manages a range of endowments with a total value of $11.82 million.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Lloyd Foote, Chair
Derek Dobson, Vice Chair
Veronica Ford, Past Chair
Jim Mowbray, Treasurer/Secretary
Anne Mclnerney, Executive Member at Large
Brenda Kinney, Ex-Officio, ED Horizon Health
Dr. Colin Barry
Nancy Creamer Ervin
Melanie Dowd Martell
About Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation
Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation News
Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation 2020-2021 Annual Report
Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation Community Events
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Leading the Leadership Giving team generating $4.4 million annually and maintaining an active role in major gifts fundraising, the Director will manage a portfolio of donors (individuals, corporations and foundations) ranging from the $5,000 – $500,000 level and will be responsible for the following:
- Prepare and monitor SJRHF’s annual Leadership Giving fundraising plan, budget, and revenue forecasts. Monitor and report on performance against plan and budget.
- Create individual goals for each prospect in his or her portfolio based on the donor’s history of giving and the organization’s knowledge of that donor’s potential.
- Lead segmented and stewardship strategies to grow gift levels with major donors.
- Lead and develop legacy giving program.
- Lead research and prospecting, with a deep understanding of assessing indicators, cultivating relationship with prospective major givers across New Brunswick.
- Create a plan for each donor in your portfolio that will serve as a foundational communication and marketing plan to grow the existing portfolio.
- Fully utilize the Raiser’s Edge NXT platform to document all moves management engagement.
- Provide leadership, direction, and management for SJRHF’s leadership giving team, creating an environment of respect, accountability, motivation, professional growth, and high productivity.
- Work with the leadership team to enhance and maintain a stewardship system in place for relationship building and meaningful donor recognition.
- Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and educational trends related to fundraising and SJRHF.
- Ensure that the Leadership Giving team effectively and strategically uses the donor database system to identify, track, and monitor donors and prospects.
- Provide accurate projections and forecasts for the purpose of budgetary and financial reports.
QUALIFICATIONS & KEY COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated progressive front-line fundraising experience with a significant track record of success in the area of major gift development at the $100,000 level and above.
- Proven success meeting fundraising financial goals from Major Gifts (individuals, foundations and corporations) and Planned Gifts.
- Management experience including the ability to attract, retain, mentor, evaluate, direct, motivate and lead a professional team to achieve common goals and objectives.
- Strong analytical and technical skills, with an understanding of data-management systems and the essential role they play in achieving fundraising success.
- Knowledge of and experience with donor/prospect databases (Raiser’s Edge NXT preferred).
- Demonstrate tact and an ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced environment that requires a flexible schedule, including travel and occasional weekends and evenings.
- Evidence of continued growth through education and participation in professional fundraising organizations as well as knowledge of the philanthropic environment.
- University degree / College diploma in relevant field or a related mix of education and fundraising experience.
- CFRE designation considered an asset.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf the Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Sylvie Battisti, Vice President, KCI Search + Talent by email at SJRHF@kcitalent.com. All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. Interested candidates should send resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by April 6, 2022.
To view full position brief, visit www.kcitalent.com
Our commitment to equity is grounded in an institution-wide commitment to fostering a diverse, inclusive and accessible work environment. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. Please inform us if you require accommodations during the recruitment process.
In compliance with the measures that have been put in place by the New Brunswick Government, the Horizon Health Network requires full vaccination for all staff and employees. Individuals will be required to provide proof that they are fully protected and exemptions will only be considered for defined medical conditions as determined by the provincial Ministry of Health.
Please note that the hiring salary range for this position is $83,000 – $117,000.