The Direct Response Specialist is responsible for providing support in the development and implementation of effective direct response campaigns that aim to drive donor acquisition, donor retention and increase revenue through direct mail, telemarketing, and monthly giving strategies. Salary Range: $50,165 – $62,706
Posted On: July 5, 2023
Closing On: July 31, 2023
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $50,165 – $62,706
ABOUT THE SALVATION ARMY
The Salvation Army is an international Christian organization that began its work in Canada in 1882 and has grown to become one of the largest non-governmental direct providers of social services in the country. The Salvation Army gives hope and support to vulnerable people today and every day in 400 communities across Canada and more than 130 countries around the world.
The Salvation Army offers practical assistance for children and families, often tending to the necessities of life, providing shelter for people experiencing homelessness and food for families struggling to make ends meet.
The Salvation Army provides a wide range of services that includes immigrant and refugee settlement programs, anti-human trafficking initiatives, English classes, and parenting programs. People need to know they are not alone in their time of need—that they have an entire Army on their side. Everyone needs an Army and that’s why The Salvation Army exists.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
We are an innovative partner. Mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship. Building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
Values are who we are and what we continually strive for. They guide all aspects of The Salvation Army in Canada and Bermuda.
HOPE – We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
SERVICE – We reach out to support others without discrimination.
DIGNITY – We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
STEWARDSHIP – We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Our social service activities include (but are not limited to):
- Hunger relief for individuals and families through food banks and feeding programs
- Shelter for people experiencing homelessness and support for those needing housing
- Rehabilitation for those struggling with addiction
- Long-term care and palliative care
- Christmas assistance such as food hampers and toys
- After-school programs, camps, and school nutrition programs for children and youth
- Life-skills classes such as budgeting, cooking for a family, and anger management
- Assist to develop a strategic monthly giving fundraising plan to grow monthly giving.
- Coordinate with vendors to implement strategies for monthly donor conversion, acquisition, upgrade, reactivation, and stewardship.
- Manage timelines for each campaign to ensure deadlines are met.
- Identify opportunities to increase efficiencies and maximize revenue.
- Execute end-to-end telemarketing campaigns that convert one-time gift donors and upgrade monthly donors.
- Coordinate timing, segmentation, scripts and calls to action for telemarketing campaigns.
- Evaluate campaign performance.
- Support a donor-centric approach to fundraising and stewardship.
- Support fundraising strategies to determine the best approach for donor retention and acquisition and positively impact overall long-term donor value.
- Evaluate results and make data-driven recommendations for future campaigns.
- Work with Database Manager to ensure donor data is captured accurately in Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Collaborate with the Donor Engagement Team and Marketing and Communications team, and other stakeholders to gather compelling content that inspire donors to take action and support fundraising campaigns.
- Develop and edit content to ensure messaging is compelling, donor-centric and it meets The Salvation Army messaging guidelines.
Data Analytics and Reporting
- Monitor and report on direct mail and telemarketing campaigns, highlighting areas of concern to evaluate performance.
- Produce and present campaign reports on a regular basis and as requested.
- Track the effectiveness of each campaign collaboratively with the Direct Response Manager, to ensure that all fundraising and stewardship campaigns complement each other and maximize revenue.
Critical Relationship Management:
- Member of the Donor Engagement team, the Development team, and work cooperatively as part of the Communications Department to serve donors and supporters of The Salvation Army
- Key working relationships with the Marketing and Communications Team, Territorial Finance Department
- Responsible for working relationships with external service providers and consultants focusing on monthly giving fundraising.
- Communicating with donors and vendors through phone and email
- Reports directly to the Direct Response Manager
- Serves as a workflow coordinator, coordinating and overseeing vendor management and monthly giving workflow across the territory.
- Provide occasional ongoing technical advice, guidance, reporting, instruction, project coordination and workflow oversight to divisions in relation to monthly giving.
- Working environment is typically in the office with possible travel (10%)
- May require working after business hours and/or being on call as required to support Emergency Disaster Services fundraising.
The above responsibilities must be performed in keeping with The Salvation Army’s Mission, Vision, and Values, in a professional manner, upholding our code of conduct.
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Minimum of a post-secondary 2-year diploma in Fundraising, Marketing, or equivalent experience
- CFRE preferred or working towards this designation.
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- 3 – 5 years of experience in annual giving fundraising, specifically monthly giving fundraising
- Knowledge of fund development best practices and principles
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational and planning skills.
- Writing and editing experience
Skills & Capabilities:
- Ability to lead projects to meet expected outcomes.
- Strong knowledge of current and developing fundraising strategies, social media, mobile and new technologies as they relate to monthly giving fundraising.
- Thorough understanding of Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge NXT and digital marketing tools
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- A demonstrated understanding of philanthropic trends both nationally and internationally
- Detail-oriented with a high level of accuracy
- Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and a variety of demands.
- Ability to query, segment and analyze data for reporting, identifying new growth potential and data trends.
- Ensure compliance with all policies, regulations, and laws.
Successful candidates will be required to provide background check consent and education verification.
To apply for this position, please forward your resume and cover letter to THQ.Careers@salvationarmy.ca and include “Competition 23-61” in the subject line of your email. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The Salvation Army offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment process. If you are contacted to participate in an interview or screening process, please advise us if you require accommodation.