The Development Officer, Research & Prospect Management will work closely with the Major Gift team, while also supporting the Annual Fund and Events teams, and is responsible for driving the prospecting and pipeline process in support of fundraising. The Development Officer, Research & Prospect Management will research, prepare, and provide profiles and reports, both in-depth and otherwise, on potential and identified major gift and event prospects including individuals, foundations, and corporations. Using current research methods, the incumbent will aim to increase financial support by identifying potential donors or audiences and by augmenting existing data.
$50,000 – $58,000
Closing Feb 18/22
Full-Time, Intermediate Level
Job Status: Full-time, Continuing
Reporting: Reports to Director of Development
About St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation:
At St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation, we’re dedicated to raising funds to support the highest priority needs of St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton — an academic health sciences centre that’s been committed to exceptional patient care, research and the education and training of healthcare professionals for more than 130 years. A leader in healthcare philanthropy in our region, our Foundation is also part of a select group of Canadian charities accredited by Imagine Canada’s Standards Program.
With the increasing pressures upon our healthcare system, the roles of philanthropy, partnerships and investments from our generous community of donors and friends are more important than ever. As a Foundation team, we work closely with grateful patients, individual, corporate and foundation donors, healthcare professionals and research teams at the Hospital, and the wider community as a whole to raise funds for vital equipment needs, to help renovate patient care areas at the Hospital, and fund research studies that will inform the future of care. Join us on our inspiring mission to support Hope, Healing and Discovery at St. Joe’s.
• Conduct detailed research using subscription-based services and advanced online
tools and resources to identify and qualify the philanthropic interests of current and
potential supporters and their capacity and volition to support the Hospital’s
• Mine current database to help maximize financial support by evaluating previous
gift data, relationships and other available information.
• Consistently employ prospect identification strategies that support key campaign
initiatives, including reviewing and refreshing the database as it pertains to the
Foundation’s identified fundraising priorities and key initiatives, such as the clinician
• Identify and prepare prospect lists and related profile information for regular staff
and volunteer review sessions.
• Develop detailed research profiles and assist in drafting briefing notes to help
inform donor relationship management strategies.
• Pro-actively source new prospects through media and sector-specific resources,
including gift announcements, donor lists, and newsletters.
• Maintain prospect management procedures to ensure consistent recording and
proposal progression to reflect activity, and assist team in navigating data in new
reporting formats, such as the NXT version of Raiser’s Edge.
• Monitor and summarize local and national news as it relates to the Foundation’s
fundraising efforts to identify opportunities for support as well as provide
updates on community, economic, and philanthropic trends.
• Track research activity for reporting on the organization’s balanced scorecard.
• Given the nature of this position, it is essential that candidates be familiar with
privacy rules and regulations and treat all information ethically, accurately and
• Keep abreast of and share trends in prospect research and fundraising with
leadership giving team.
• Assist with other projects and duties as required to support the Foundation’s goals,
which may include drafting correspondence, proposals and stewardship reports for
• University degree or college diploma
• Minimum 2 years prospect research or related experience with proven experience of
prospect research leading to securing of major gifts
• Strategic thinking, attention to detail and strong program management skills
• Investigate, analyze, and synthesize large quantities of data from a variety of
sources into a user-friendly and concise format
• Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) that include sensitivity to
• Strong computer skills related to Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, PowerPoint and
• Proficiency in fundraising CRM databases, with preference to Raiser’s Edge, including
Salary and Benefits: The target hiring range for this position is $50,000 – $58,000
Deadline for Applications: February 18, 2022
Application Procedure: Please e-mail resume and cover letter with the subject line Development Officer, Research & Prospect Management to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation is an
equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. We aim to reduce
barriers and support accessibility and as such, we will accommodate any needs set out under
the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Thank you for your interest in working with St. Joseph’s
Healthcare Foundation; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.