The Development Officer, Research & Prospect Management will work closely with the Major Gifts team, while also supporting the Annual Fund and Events teams, and is responsible for driving the prospecting and pipeline process in support of fundraising. The Development Officer, Research & Prospect Management will research, prepare, and provide profiles and reports, both in-depth and otherwise, on potential and identified major gift and event prospects including individuals, foundations, and corporations. Using current research methods, the incumbent will aim to increase financial support by identifying potential donors or audiences and by augmenting existing data. Salary Range: $53,000 – $60,000
Posted On: December 1, 2022
Closing On: December 13, 2022
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Job Experience: Junior
Salary Range: $53,000 – $60,000
About St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation:
At St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation, we’re dedicated to raising funds to support the highest priority needs of St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton – an academic health sciences centre committed to exceptional patient care, research and the education and training of healthcare professionals.
A leader in healthcare philanthropy in our region, St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation is accredited through Imagine Canada’s Standards Program which recognizes excellence in fundraising, financial accountability and transparency, governance, volunteer involvement and staff management.
As a Foundation team, we work closely with grateful patients, individuals, corporations and foundations, healthcare professionals and research teams at the Hospital to raise and steward funds for vital equipment needs, to help renovate patient care areas at the Hospital, and fund research studies that will inform the future of care.
St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation Hamilton is looking for a Development Officer, Research & Prospect Management to join our team of dedicated, caring and mission-focused professionals who are committed to working together to empower healthcare in our community and are proud to support St. Joseph’s inspiring mission of Hope, Healing and Discovery. Read more about us here: https://www.stjoesfoundation.
Why Work with Us?
• Opportunity to do meaningful work that supports hope, healing and discovery at our Hospital.
• Competitive salary range of $53,000 – $60,000 annually and comprehensive benefits package, including health & dental benefits, a defined benefit pension plan (HOOPP), & maternity/parental leave top-up.
• Starting at 3 weeks vacation.
• Flexible work arrangements including hybrid work opportunities.
• Commitment to Professional Development including an annual budget for each employee.
• Newly renovated office space (anticipated completion in December 2022).
This is a full-time role, located in Hamilton, ON
Hybrid Work Model – minimum of 3 days on site required
The Development Officer, Research & Prospect Management is responsible primarily for (but not limited to):
- Conducts detailed research using subscription-based services and advanced online tools and resources to
identify and qualify the philanthropic interests of current and potential supporters and their capacity and
volition to support the Hospital’s fundraising goals.
- Mines current database to help maximize financial support by evaluating previous gift data, relationships,
and other available information.
- Consistently employs prospect identification strategies that support key campaign initiatives, including
reviewing and refreshing the database as it pertains to the Foundation’s identified fundraising priorities
and key initiatives, such as the clinician engagement strategy.
- Identifies and prepares prospect lists and related profile information for regular staff and volunteer
- Develops detailed research profiles and assists in drafting briefing notes to help inform donor relationship management strategies.
- Pro-actively sources new prospects through media and sector-specific resources, including gift
announcements, donor lists, and newsletters.
- Maintains prospect management procedures to ensure consistent recording and proposal progression to
reflect activity and assists the team in navigating data in new reporting formats, such as the NXT version
of Raiser’s Edge.
- Monitors and summarizes local and national news as it relates to the Foundation’s fundraising efforts
to identify opportunities for support as well as provide updates on community, economic, and
- Tracks research activity for reporting on the organization’s balanced scorecard.
- Keeps abreast of and shares trends in prospect research and fundraising with leadership giving team.
Assists with other projects and duties as required to support the Foundation’s goals, which may include
drafting correspondence, proposals, and stewardship reports for donors.
- University degree or college diploma in a related field such as fundraising, analytics or information systems.
- Minimum 2 years prospect research or related experience with proven experience of prospect research leading to securing of major gifts, preferably in a healthcare environment.
- Strategic thinking, attention to detail and strong program management skills.
- Ability to investigate, analyze, and synthesize large quantities of data from a variety of sources into a user friendly and concise format.
- Exceptional communication skills (verbal and written) that include sensitivity to donor information.
- Strong computer skills related to Microsoft Office (Work, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Proficiency in fundraising CRM databases, with preference to Raiser’s Edge, including NXT version.
- Given the nature of this position, it is essential that candidates be familiar with privacy rules and regulations and treat all information ethically, accurately, and confidentially.
If this role interests you, please submit your resume and cover letter to
Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion: St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We aim to reduce barriers and support accessibility and as such, we will accommodate any needs set out under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Thank you for your interest in working with St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.