The Development Officer position works within the Development Department at Mission Services of Hamilton, Inc. (MSH). Reporting to the AED, Administration & Resource Development, this role will focus on the stewardship, cultivation and growth of individual and corporate donors as well as legacy giving. The Development Officer position will complement the Development team by primarily focusing on building relationships and effectively stewarding individual donors, as well as growing our corporate and legacy donor bases through in-person meetings, tours, calls and other strategies.
Mission Services of Hamilton
Contract, no level listed
Closing 9/16/21 – may extend
The Development Officer position works within the Development Department at Mission Services of Hamilton, Inc. (MSH). Reporting to the AED, Administration & Resource Development, this role will focus on the stewardship, cultivation and growth of individual and corporate donors as well as legacy giving. The Development Officer position will complement the Development team by primarily focussing on building relationships and effectively stewarding individual donors, as well as growing our corporate and legacy donor bases through in-person meetings, tours, calls and other strategies.
• Working with the Development Team to develop, coordinate and manage strategies to secure and increase individual, corporate and other sources of revenue
• Developing an annual strategy and fundraising targets in order to increase giving among current loyal donors
• Developing strategies and initiatives to cultivate new donors to Mission Services and its programs
• Identifying and creating corporate partnership opportunities across a range of sectors to support programs at Mission Services
• Writing and creation of marketing materials and communication pieces to support legacy giving program and donor stewardship programs
• Working with the Donor Relations Team to steward current donors and supporters, ensuring our donors feel recognized and appreciated
• Working with the Donor Relations Manager, support the AED, Administration & Resource Development, with research on current donors and prospects in order to best plan requests for support
• Ensuring background information on potential corporate and individual donors is complete and recorded in Raisers Edge
• Representing Mission Services at meetings and events through public speaking, presentations and provide building tours for existing and potential donors
• Developing and overseeing creation of stewardship reports
• Building strong philanthropic relationships with Mission Services staff and volunteers
• Work safely, identify any health and safety concerns and report to management
• Follow Mission Services workplace health and safety policies and procedures at all times
• Committed to uphold the organization’s mission, values and standards
• Additional projects and duties as assigned
• Knowledge and experience of the fundraising sector, philanthropic trends, motivations for giving and volunteering, research and cultivation practices, standard fundraising techniques including face-to-face solicitation
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in professional fundraising, with a successful track record identifying, cultivating and stewarding principal and major gifts, and with significant exposure to planned giving
• Understanding of the importance of collecting and recording data and prospect research
• Solid knowledge of Raisers Edge (NXT) or other fundraising database
HOURS OF WORK:
• 37.5 hours per week
• Flexible hours based on requirement to attend Mission Services and community events/functions
• Position will primarily be working from the Mission Services’ main office at 196 Wentworth St N, Hamilton
• Position includes travel to visit prospective donors
• Position may also be required to work from home dependent on the Ontario Government COVID-19 recommendations and restrictions
• Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check
• Two-Step Tuberculosis Skin Test
• Valid Driver’s License and access to a personal vehicle
• Proof of COVID-19 vaccination, or willingness to register to receive this vaccination as soon as possible
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume by 5:00PM on September 16, 2021 to:
Director of Human Resources
Mission Services of Hamilton
At Mission Services of Hamilton, we value diversity in our employees and we work from an anti-racism/antioppression framework and strive for equity and inclusion.
We strive to foster an organization that reflects the diversity of the community we serve and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. We encourage applications from individuals from underserved and underrepresented cultural and racial communities, from First Nations Inuit and Metis communities, Two-Spirit, LGBTQIA+ communities, and people living with disabilities.
Mission Services is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.