The Development Officer is responsible for securing grants from, and building relationships with, a variety of organizations including government departments (all levels), foundations, corporations, and service clubs. The Development Officer will grow the grant portfolio through prospect research, cultivation, writing grant proposals and letters of intent, and stewardship. The Development Officer will also serve as writer/editor for funding proposals, reports, newsletters, and donor communication materials as well as internal and external communications.
Closing Date: June 9, 2022
Salary Range: $47,975.00- $56,560.00
Employment type: Full-Time
Job Experience: Intermediate
- Writing funding proposals, letters of inquiry, and reports for program support from foundations, corporations, governments and community organizations.
- Identify potential funders for programs and review criteria to determine if the foundation, government agency or corporation is a good match for Mission Services.
- Manage timely completion of grant reports and renewal applications.
- Keep, follow, and update reporting and renewal calendar, prepare reports and renewals for submission, obtain necessary information from program managers, creating and maintaining foundation files, including all correspondence in database and hard copy.
- Participate in the overall strategic development and execution of Mission Services’ Development communications, marketing and resource development plan.
- Create fact sheets and other materials to support volunteers and fundraising staff.
- Prepare and disseminate confidential summaries, call briefings, information and documents, and research profiles.
- Effectively integrate Mission Services’ Case for Support into all donor communications vehicles.
- Provide writing support for donor thank you and renewal correspondence.
- Ensure communications strategies are properly integrated, and consistent with branding guidelines, campaign messages, editorial and graphics policies.
- Contribute to newsletters, annual report, social media accounts, website, and other marketing and communications materials.
- Assist in the development of community collaborations and partnerships.
- Work safely, identify any health and safety concerns and report to management and follow Mission Services workplace health and safety policies and procedures at all times.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a not-for-profit setting.
- A university degree in a relevant field (i.e. English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing).
- Demonstration of high-level ability in writing and editing materials in support of fundraising and reporting.
- Experience in working with senior level volunteers and senior staff.
- Proven ability to keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage supplemental material required for proposals.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, particularly PowerPoint, and Word. Experience with Raisers Edge and Adobe Creative Suite an asset.
- Strong verbal and presentation skills.
- Proven accuracy and exceptional attention to detail.
- Demonstrate independence and resourcefulness while working in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to communicate (verbally/in writing) in French language an asset.
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Two-Step Tuberculosis Skin Test
- Proof of double COVID-19 vaccination, or willingness to register to receive these vaccinations as soon as possible
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume by 5:00PM on June 9, 2022 to:
Director of Human Resources, Mission Services of Hamilton, P.O. Box 368, Hamilton, ON L8L 7W2 or email to HR@mission-services.com
At Mission Services of Hamilton, we value diversity in our employees and we work from an anti-racism/anti-oppression framework and strive for equity and inclusion.
We strive to foster an organization that reflects the diversity of the community we serve and welcome applications from all qualified candidates. We encourage applications from individuals from underserved and underrepresented cultural and racial communities, from First Nations Inuit and Metis communities, Two-Spirit, LGBTQIA+ communities, and people living with disabilities
Mission Services is also committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, please advise us if you require any accommodation measures to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation requests will be treated with confidentiality.