Reporting to the Director, Advancement (Ontario Veterinary College) and working in partnership with the Advancement Team, you will be a relationship builder responsible for personal solicitation of donations and sponsorships in the range of $10,000-$25,000 and up. In this role, you will support the Ontario Veterinary College (OVC)’s Healthy Futures Strategic Plan by focusing primarily on developing OVC’s major gift pipeline.
As Development Manager, you will work to advance the College’s priorities with external audiences, including alumni, grateful clients, corporations and friends of the University of Guelph, with the express goal of building future support. You will be expected to personally generate an annual minimum of $350,000-$500,000 + in new gifts and pledges.
Salary Range: TBC
Posted On: January 25, 2023
Closing On: March 12, 2023
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time (Temporary, full-time position (from January 2023 to January 16, 2024)
Job Experience: Junior
In our work, at the department of Alumni Affairs and Development, we advance the mission of the University of Guelph by building lifelong relationships with our community: alumni, donors, and friends. Our vision is for the University to be personally relevant in the lives of our community members. Through these relationships, we amplify the impact of philanthropy to create unique solutions for the challenges facing our world. As Development Manager and a member of this campus-wide team, you will epitomize the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation, and forward focus.
If you share our belief that fundraising is a team sport, and collaboration with colleagues in the broader OVC External Relations and Alumni Affairs and Development teams is essential for success, this is your opportunity to show your collaborative spirit while leveraging your ability to connect confidently and easily with donors and prospects from a range of backgrounds.
Responsibilities will include:
- Identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors and prospects through the fundraising cycle;
- Maintaining a personal prospect portfolio of 70-90 cleared donors/prospects, undertaking 10-15 face-to-face meetings per month with donors/prospects;
- Preparing briefing materials to support Senior Administration (President, VPs, AVPs, Dean) fundraising activity;
- Collaborating with the Director of Advancement, the Dean, the Senior Development Manager and other internal partners to identify University priorities that will resonate with donors, e.g., scholarships, sponsorships, and capital projects;
- Creating and presenting materials to advance fundraising asks – from generic cases for support to more customized proposals;
- Negotiating the closure of major gifts, including the creation of gift agreements and other supporting documentation;
- Actively developing the OVC planned giving pipeline, working in partnership with the OVC Director and the University of Guelph’s Gift Planning Manager.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- You have an undergraduate degree and a minimum of two (2) years’ fundraising experience (with preference for experience in major gift fundraising), or you have attained an equivalent combination of education and experience that has prepared you for this next step in your career.
- You have an ongoing commitment to continuous improvement and professional development.
- You are a self-starter and action-oriented, motivated by deadlines and measurable outcomes.
- You approach new challenges with integrity, tenacity and patience.
- You think and act quickly and effectively under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion, and good judgment, with a high degree of self-awareness of your own implicit bias.
- You have a track record of working successfully as part of a team in a fast-paced, complex environment.
- You interact effectively with senior executives in the corporate community.
- You are a strong writer, and can present complex ideas with clarity, emotion and brevity in writing as well as in person.
- You adapt readily to new technology and are proficient using the Microsoft Office Suite and donor databases and/or CRM systems.
If you have a passion for animal welfare and/or a background in animal, medical or healthcare charities, that would be a tremendous asset and will contribute to your success and satisfaction in this role.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the role of Development Manager, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/hr/careers. Applications, quoting Hiring #2023-0049, must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.