As an integral member of the Engagement Services team, you will support the department’s ambitious fundraising targets, and work collaboratively across the department, creating and managing high-value donor proposals, in support of the University’s funding priorities and AA&D’s goal of attracting $50-million in philanthropic support each year.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Advancement Marketing and Communications, you will work closely with the front-line advancement team, creating “prospect tailored” branded proposals and key messaging through the solicitation phase, researching all aspects of the proposal and ensuring appropriate approvals are obtained. You will also lead the development of strategic fundraising collateral, such as case for support documents and presentations, in line with current fundraising priorities of the University. The purpose of these documents is to inspire and guide prospects in consideration of major philanthropic support at the University of Guelph. Salary Range: Minimum: $64,806 – Maximum: $97,208
Posted On: March 7, 2023
Closing On: March 27, 2023
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Employment Type: Temporary, Full Time Position
Job Experience: Junior
Salary Range: Minimum: $64,806 – Maximum: $97,208
Temporary, full-time position (March 2023 – March 8, 2024) – Guelph, ON
In our work, at the department of Alumni Affairs and Development (AA&D), we advance the mission of the University of Guelph by building lifelong relationships with our community: alumni, donors, and friends. Our vision is for the University of Guelph to be personally relevant in the lives of our community members. Through these relationships, we amplify the impact of philanthropy to create unique solutions for the challenges facing our world. As Development Communications Manager, you will be part of this campus-wide team and, as such, epitomize the department’s shared values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation, and forward focus.
More specifically, you will be expected to:
- Work closely with the fundraising team to develop strategy and execution of tailored communication vehicles for specific donors (with philanthropic asks ranging from $100K – $15M), i.e., presentations, briefs, pitch materials, leave-behind pieces.
- Research all aspects of the proposal to ensure continuity and accuracy of all key components.
- Translate complex information into a market-ready proposal, tailored to the prospect/donor.
- Develop a deep understanding of top prospect interests and motivations, and convey complex problems and opportunities in a way that is inspiring and timely.
- Collaborate with team members to develop a visually appealing layout of the created content, specific to each donor.
- Utilize page layout software (Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign) to design materials and use in-house templates provided by the Marketing and Communications team.
- Collaborate on print and digital fundraising collateral, promotional materials, web content, and case for support documents.
- Support ad hoc development writing, editing, and researching requests.
To assume the role of Development Communications Manager, you should be an experienced and highly skilled writer who can think and act quickly under pressure, and whose profile includes:
A university degree in communications, marketing, or a related discipline, with five (5) years’ experience in fundraising communications and a track record of securing major gifts.
- Superior writing skills, with professional-level writing ability, demonstrated through a portfolio of samples, with respect to style, organization and structure, appropriateness to subject, breadth of subject matter and clear understanding of the target audience(s) and presentation of key message(s).
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills.
- High level of skill with InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of graphic design, publication layout and publishing processes.
- Excellent, demonstrated analytical, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent knowledge of university advancement and fundraising principles, specifically relating to campaigns, proposals and case for support documents.
- Familiarity with CRA guidelines and ethical fundraising procedures as they apply to major gift fundraising in the post-secondary sector.
- Critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and multi-tasking ability.
- Ability to think and act quickly, effectively and resourcefully under pressure, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgement.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the role of Development Communications Manager, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/hr/careers. Applications, quoting Hiring #2023-0153, must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.