This is a wonderful opportunity for an experienced communications professional to contribute significantly to the inspiring storytelling and brand development of a Foundation supporting a multi-site hospital network.
The Content Specialist is responsible for researching and writing a wide range of marketing and communications collaterals including grateful patient and donor stories, event marketing, program brochure content and other relevant materials to support fundraising efforts and Foundation brand building. As part of the Marketing and Communications (MarCom) team, this position plays a significant role in supporting revenue generation activities to engage donors and connect them to our mission and helping strengthen their commitment to The Foundation. Salary Range: $60,000 – $70,000
Posted On: February 3, 2023
Closing On: February 17, 2023
Location: Hamilton, Ontario / Remote
Job Experience: Intermediate
Employment Type: Full Time
Effective: ASAP, when able
Salary Range: $60,000 – $70,000
Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation provides vital funding to enable the best possible patient care. We inspire and motivate gifts that fund medical equipment and patient amenities, innovative research initiatives, essential redevelopment of clinical care spaces, and the education and training of health care providers.
As a registered charitable organization, we proudly support patients and families across south-central Ontario, and from outside the region, who receive specialized care at Hamilton Health Sciences including Hamilton General Hospital, Juravinski Hospital and Cancer Centre, McMaster Children’s Hospital, and St. Peter’s Hospital. The associated programs at the Regional Rehabilitation Centre, McMaster University Medical Centre and Ron Joyce Children’s Health Centre are also included. The Foundation is committed to the Donor Bill of Rights and to being a donor-centered organization. All members of The Foundation’s staff team support development activities by ensuring the maintenance of accurate records of information on the Raisers Edge database. Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation is committed to protecting the privacy of our donors and prospects.
This is an exciting time to join Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation as we build upon a strong foundation of our Culture Code that includes the values of respect, impactful and inspiring. We believe that relationships and partnerships are the basis of excellence in fundraising and have a vision to see a community of inspired and committed donors who embrace It’s Vital to Care. Every position in The Foundation contributes to a safe, inclusive environment for all through compliance with The Foundation’s equity, diversity and inclusion philosophy and patient and staff safety policies and procedures.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
Writing and Editing
- Lead the researching and writing required to produce a wide range of key internal and external communications in the brand voice, including newsletters, annual impact reports/special reports, annual programs materials, event materials, speeches, media advisories and website copy using Canadian Press style.
- Research story angles and facts that improve the MarCom team’s ability to share stories that align with The Foundation’s fundraising strategies.
- Conduct interviews, write and edit stories that support The Foundation’s mission, including stories related to donor impact, grateful patients, patient outcomes, and The Foundation’s support of excellence across the family of hospitals, and cancer and rehabilitation centres.
- Align communications materials with The Foundation’s mission, vision, values, key messaging and brand standards.
- Lead writer for annual donor impact reports and newsletters.
- Lead script and storyboard writer for video.
- Proofread and fact check communications and marketing materials to ensure accuracy.
- Ensure that brand standards, messaging and style guidelines are adhered to in all materials and that written materials are presented in an appealing and professional manner.
- Work with the VP, Communication and Marketing and Foundation teams by developing and brainstorming creative briefs to support all Foundation fundraising and donor relations materials.
- Manage, coordinate and support a high volume of approved writing and content projects for staff teams requesting MarCom support, particularly for the direct response programs, annual giving and events team, to ensure timely delivery of service and quality outcomes.
- Develop communications plans and tactics in conjunction with internal stakeholders for approved external/internal projects to identify expectations, requirements and measurable objectives.
- Collaborate with development teams to target messaging for specific audiences, and recommend best channels to reach these audiences, including identifying potential risks and outcomes.
- Execute various MarCom programs and campaigns to deliver on event, fundraising and programs goals.
- Coordinate with the Creative Services Manager and external vendors, to deliver on print production of marketing and special event materials to ensure timeliness and quality.
- Prioritize and keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, meet deadlines and manage expectations.
- Recommend process improvements, new tools and tactics to support communications rationale and achieve efficient and effective outcomes.
- Work collaboratively with the Creative Services Manager, Digital team and Marketing Specialist to conceptualize, research, and create impactful content.
- Develop and nurture key relationships with internal and external stakeholders (i.e. Hamilton Health Sciences, McMaster University, Canada’s Children’s Hospital Foundations, vendors, agencies, etc.) to facilitate effective communications and deliver on MarCom and The Foundation’s goals
- Serve as a Foundation representative on various appropriate internal and external committees.
- Contribute to other marketing and communications projects as needed.
- Actively promote, participate in, and be an ambassador for the Foundation’s fundraising activities
- University degree or equivalent, preferably in communications, marketing, journalism, creative writing, or relevant field.
- Five years’ experience in the creation and production of a variety of written corporate materials, including: storytelling, brochures, newsletters, speeches, reports, website content, and fundraising and event materials that reflect the highest professional standards.
- Superior professional writing, proofreading and editing skills, with meticulous attention to detail.
- Effective storyteller to evoke strong emotions to inspire giving and connect with those who embrace Its Vital to Care.
- Ability to condense and package information in a visually appealing and logical manner.
- Strong knowledge of brand development and brand reputation.
- Exemplary research, problem-solving and analytical skills, with an ability to synthesize and communicate complex issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and adept at using tact, diplomacy and discretion with donors, agency partners, suppliers and Foundation and Hospital Staff.
- Understand the need for professionalism, discretion and patience when communicating with donors and
- Team player with demonstrated ability to work independently with minimum supervision and an ability to self-manage effectively in a changing environment with multiple conflicting demands.
- A professional who is organized and has demonstrated success in project management and takes pride in accuracy.
- Strong computer skills in utilizing Microsoft Office Program (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) and various video conferencing, and marketing and communication tools and programs.
- Experience with a charitable nonprofit sector, or hospital foundation considered an asset.
- Experience and interest in photography and video recording a strong asset.
Accountability: Direct: Vice President, Marketing and Communications
- HHSF Leadership and Staff Teams
- HHS Public Affairs and Communications team
- Hospital Staff
- External agency and vendor relationships
- Location of work is 1 King St. West, Hamilton ON and the Foundation will follow all public health guidelines with respect to COVID-19. Remote and Flex may be accommodated after three months of employment based on approval of VP.
Working Conditions and Mandatory Requirements:
- Travel is required; the incumbent must possess a valid driver’s license and have use of a reliable vehicle as the position will visit various locations such as Hamilton Health Science sites, patient locations, etc.
- The nature of the work is such that minimal evening and some weekend work is required to attend events where needed.
- A Vulnerable Persons Police Check is a requirement of employment.
- Proof of full COVID vaccination is mandatory for employment with Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation in accordance with Hamilton Health Sciences policy.
- The annual hiring range for this position is between $60,000-70,000, commensurate with experience. HHSF provides a competitive benefit package and pension plan (HOOPP).
How to Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter to HHSFcareers@hhsc.ca by February 17th, 2023 with the job title in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as received. We would like to thank all who apply, but only those selected to move forward will be contacted.
The Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer. Our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion within HHSF reflects a belief that we will make the greatest impact to our mission when everyone can genuinely and fully participate without barriers or exclusion. We are dedicated to creating a workplace reflective of the community we live, work and serve and welcome applications from diverse and equity-deserving groups.
The Foundation is committed to providing a barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Accommodation, if requested, will be provided throughout the recruitment process in accordance with the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Should any candidate require accommodation in any phase of the recruitment process, please contact Heather Slye (905.521.2100 x 44624 or HHSFcareers@hhsc.ca) for assistance.