The Director will deliver the Foundation’s Campaign, Major Gift, and Mid-level Giving strategies to support life-changing programs for children, youth, and their families across Canada. The incumbent will lead the Foundation’s Stand Up for Kids Futures Transformed Campaign which is now over halfway to its $75M goal, while also actively cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding prospects and donors within personal and team portfolios.
Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada is seeking a Director, Campaign and Major Gifts to deliver
the Foundation’s Campaign, Major Gift, and Mid-level Giving strategies, raising funds to support
life-changing programs for children, youth, and their families across Canada.
A national fundraising organization, Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada is dedicated to
improving the lives of children, youth and families involved in Canada’s child welfare system. Our
work seeks to remove barriers that limit the potential of children who have experienced or are at
risk of experiencing abuse and neglect, and create greater, more equitable access to the
opportunities these children deserve so they can thrive.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director will be a senior member of the
fundraising team and an essential contributor to the Foundation’s overall fundraising goals. With
strong momentum and a robust pipeline, the Director will lead our Stand Up for Kids Futures
Transformed Campaign which is now over halfway to our $75M goal, while also actively
cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding prospects and donors within personal and team portfolios.
A dynamic self-starter, the Director will be an experienced fundraising professional who is
passionate about improving the lives of children, youth, and families. A skilled leader of people
and projects, the Director will use strategic acumen, proactive communications, and strong
interpersonal skills to build trusting and productive relationships that support fundraising success.
Managing a team of three, the Director will model a results-driven approach that engenders an
ethic of accountability amongst their team while providing members with coaching and support to
meet their goals.
This is an exciting time to join Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada as we continue to work
towards our strategic priorities that include growing and diversifying revenue; working with the
community, government, and donors to co-design and deliver innovative program solutions; and
address the overrepresentation of indigenous and black children and youth in the child welfare
ABOUT CHILDREN’S AID FOUNDATION OF CANADA
Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada is our country’s leading charity dedicated to improving the
lives of children, youth and families involved in the child welfare system.
A future where the children and youth we serve have the strength and resilience to create a
lifetime of their own unstoppable successes.
Not all children have access to the love, care, and opportunities they need to thrive. Together, we
can change that.
As an ally and an advocate:
• We remove barriers that limit the potential of children who have experienced or are at
risk of experiencing abuse, neglect, and abandonment.
• We provide access to the opportunities these children need to become contributing
members of society who enjoy healthy relationships of their own.
Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada raises and grants funds and delivers a wide range of high impact programs and services in partnership with over 70 child and youth-serving agencies across the country that support more than 19,300 vulnerable young people and 4,200 families annually.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Major & Mid-Level Giving – 40%
• Develop and lead the Major Gift and Mid-Level Giving fundraising strategies with individuals
and foundations to meet the $7.3M revenue target (2021).
• Build, manage, and solicit a personal portfolio of major gift prospects and donors, including
select major corporate accounts, at the six and seven figure levels.
• Work with major donors and other key stakeholders to fund, co-design and deliver new and
innovative solutions that meet the organizations strategic priorities.
• Lead all pipeline development and management activities.
• Work with senior management to align strategies and plans for the Foundation’s priority
programs, including unrestricted giving, the Teddy Bear Fund, and other flagship programs.
• Development and oversight of the Teddy Bear Fund and Mid-Level Giving fundraising
Campaign – 30%
• Collaborate with the CEO, CDO, and Campaign Co-Chairs to develop campaign strategies
• Manage campaign activities to meet the annual campaign goal of $16.2M and overall target
of $75M, including managing the Campaign Cabinet and Advisory Council.
• Work collaboratively with the CDO and SDO, Donor Stewardship and Engagement to
develop cultivation and stewardship resources, tools, and reports.
• Initiate and lead cultivation and solicitation strategies for prospects at the $100K+ level.
• Work with CEO, CDO and Campaign Co-Chairs to recruit, motivate and retain campaign
• Facilitate introductions and solicitations for the Campaign Cabinet/Council and the Board to
help achieve campaign targets.
Management & Operational Planning – 15%
• Manage the annual Campaign and Business planning process including updates and reports
to the CDO and senior leadership.
• Oversee expense and revenue budgets for the Campaign, Major Giving and Mid-level Giving
• Participate as a senior member of the Development management team.
Team Leadership & Administration – 15%
• Manage and coach a team of three staff through one-on-one supervision and overall team
• Develop individual and team goals and KPIs which are assessed on a regular basis.
• Assess current priorities, workload, and resources on a going basis and establish workplans
that ensure immediate needs and longer-term strategies are met.
• Lead the team’s utilization of Raiser’s Edge and model a commitment to being data-driven
in support of enhancing fundraising activities and results.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
• Passion for the mission of Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada.
• Progressive leadership experience in the not-for-profit sector.
• Demonstrated fundraising experience managing diverse revenue streams with proven
success securing gifts from individuals, foundations, and corporations at the 6 and 7 figure
• Proven ability building and managing a prospect pipeline.
• Knowledge of and exposure to campaign management.
• Highly proficient relationship management skills with a demonstrated ability to build networks
and communities of support.
• Experience leading and coaching successful staff teams with a commitment to work as a
supportive, collaborative team member.
• Confidence, competence, and comfort working with high net-worth individuals and senior
volunteers and business leaders.
• Tactful and dynamic with the ability to encourage engagement and support the fundraising
goals of senior volunteers.
• Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills with the ability to relay a case for support in
an accessible, compelling manner.
• Ability to work in a fast paced and results-oriented environment.
• Excellent organization, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities with high attention to
• Self-disciplined, and self-motivated with the ability to work efficiently using an innate sense of
urgency to meet deadlines.
• Experience with fundraising databases. Knowledge of Raisers Edge an asset.
• CFRE or FAHP accreditation would be considered an asset.
• Fluency in French would be considered an asset.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Children’s Aid Foundation of
Canada. For more information about this opportunity, please contact Samantha David, Senior Search
Consultant, KCI Search + Talent, by email at CAFnd@kcitalent.com.
To view the full Position Brief, please visit: https://kciphilanthropy.com/kci-talent/
Interested candidates are invited to send a resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above
by July 21, 2021.
The salary for this position is $105,000 – $125,000 per annum.
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence.
Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada provides equal employment opportunities to employees regardless of
their gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or marital status. We offer a family-friendly
environment that allows for flexible work arrangements to support staff diversity and ensure a healthy worklife balance.
Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada has made it a priority to meet with and hire from a diverse pool of
candidates. We encourage applications from all interested candidates and believe that a range of lived
experience, voices and perspectives directly contribute to the success of our team.