Canada’s Children’s Hospital Foundations (CCHF) is seeking an accomplished leader and relationship builder as their next Chief Executive Officer. The CEO will develop the overall growth strategy for CCHF, including national strategic partnerships for both Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) in Canada, and other national Canada-only fundraising partnerships and initiatives.
Passionate about advancing children’s health in Canada, the CEO will be reporting to the Board of Directors, working in close collaboration with Member Foundations and corporate partners. With a deep understanding of corporate partners’ business priorities and philanthropic interests, and experience developing sustainable relations with corporations, the CEO will play a critical role in aligning corporate partner commitments to Member Foundation needs, rolled up to a national story of impact.
Engaging and highly collaborative, the CEO will be a skilled fundraising leader with a proven track record in developing and stewarding national and international partnerships. A big-picture thinker and strategist, the new incumbent will proactively seek and explore untapped potential for fundraising and impact on a national basis. Innovative and entrepreneurial, the successful candidate will be a compelling storyteller who understands how to engage, motivate, and inspire action around a common cause. Salary Range: $260,000 – $300,000
Posted On: February 7, 2023
Closing On: March 8, 2023
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary Range: $260,000 – $300,000
A masterful relationship developer who is both persuasive and politically astute, the new incumbent will understand the realities of operating within a coalition environment. Exceptional listening skills combined with a strong diplomatic communication style will allow the CEO to effectively guide multiple stakeholders with differing needs, strengths, and perspectives in achieving a common vision and goal.
The CEO will be a motivating and inspiring leader who appreciates the unique talents and contributions of each team member. Transparent, inclusive, and approachable, the successful candidate will recognize that the best ideas and solutions come from engaging others and will proactively seek and listen to ideas and inputs from the team and stakeholders. As a strong mentor and coach, the CEO will support professional and personal growth within the team, providing development opportunities and encouraging new challenges for the team to learn, grow and reach their highest potential.
Along with the team and in collaboration with Member Foundations, the CEO will be accountable for ensuring that annual fundraising revenue grows from the current level of $55M per year. With strong business acumen, exemplary governance, and a continuous process improvement mindset, the successful candidate will shift comfortably between vision and operationalization and take an active lead in driving the strategic plan forward.
ABOUT CANADA’S CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL FOUNDATIONS
Canada’s Children’s Hospital Foundations (CCHF), established in 2017, is a not-for-profit organization that exclusively raises funds through national partnerships in support of children’s hospital foundations in Canada.
Together, our 13 Member Foundations are the largest non-government funders of children’s health in Canada. Additionally, CCHF raises more than $50 million annually through national corporate partnerships, donors, and other initiatives across the country. All funds raised nationally, are disbursed back to the children’s hospital foundations serving the local area where they were raised.
We are inspired by our vision if we change the health of children, we will change the health of Canada. We know that developing larger, more strategic partnerships is key to significantly expanding fundraising and impact for children’s health in Canada. We’re changing the health of children, so we can change the health of Canada. We’re on a journey to raise philanthropic support for paediatric hospitals in Canada so they can provide critical care and services that accelerate recoveries, shorten hospital stays and get kids back to living the childhoods they deserve.
Headquartered in Toronto, CCHF has a Board of Directors, an Audit & Finance Committee, and a Governance & Nomination Committee – all representing the various regions of Canada. The work of CCHF has a staff of approximately 25 employees, with significant additional staff resources dedicated by the Member children’s hospital foundations across the country. CCHF has an annual operating budget of over $5 million, comprised of membership fees paid by the Children’s Hospital Foundations and supplemented by corporate sponsorship and underwriting of CCHF awareness and fundraising properties.
CCHF HOSPITAL PARTNERS WHERE IMPACT IS DELIVERED
CCHF’s founding members are Canada’s 13 Children’s Hospital Foundations:
- Janeway Children’s Hospital Foundation, St. John’s, NL
- IWK Foundation, Halifax, NS
- CHU Sainte-Justine Foundation, Montreal, QC
- The Montreal Children’s Hospital Foundation, Montreal, QC
- CHEO Foundation, Ottawa, ON
- SickKids Foundation, Toronto, ON
- McMaster Children’s Hospital Foundation, Hamilton, ON
- Children’s Health Foundation, London, ON
- The Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB
- Jim Pattison Children’s Hospital Foundation, Saskatoon, SK
- Stollery Children’s Hospital Foundation, Edmonton, AB
- Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation, Calgary, AB
- BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, Vancouver, BC
OUR STRATEGIC CORPORATE PARTNERS
CCHF works with some of the largest companies in Canada. Many have been proud supporters of children’s hospital foundations in Canada for close to 40 years, through the Children’s Miracle Network (CMN). The CMN success model was largely through employee engagement in retail settings.
In 2017, CCHF was created as a new not-for-profit organization which assumed the responsibility for CMN campaigns in Canada, while developing other new national opportunities that differ from the CMN model. It was at that time that CCHF also began shifting its focus to larger, more strategic partnerships, while working closely with our large retail partners to evolve with the quickly changing retail landscape.
Each of our corporate partners is highly engaged in the cause and are aligned to the strategic plan. Many of these companies are now operating with an Environmental Social Governance (ESG) framework as the next generation of corporate citizenship and see their partnership with CCHF and the Children’s Hospital Foundations as core to their business, engaging their employees, building trust, and driving social value.
Below is a list of our partners in order of numerical size with the largest partner giving and/or raising over $16 million annually, with most of our strategic partners donating and/or raising more than $500K each.
ABOUT CHILDREN’S MIRACLE NETWORK HOSPITALS
Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals (CMNH) raises funds and awareness for 170 member hospitals across North America, 13 of which are in Canada. All contributions raised by companies and their employees in communities across Canada go back to each member foundation to fund critical treatments and healthcare services, pediatric medical equipment, and research. Its various fundraising partners and programs support the non-profits’ mission to do what is right for kids so they will have the healthiest most fulfilling childhood possible.
Each day, over 4,900 children will receive medical treatment for various diseases, sickness, and injuries at member hospitals across Canada. These children’s hospitals depend on financial support so that critical priorities, vital programs, equipment, and research devoted to children’s health continue to thrive.
- CCHF – Canada’s Children’s Hospital Foundations
- Children’s Miracle Network – Canada
- Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals – USA
- Canadian Association of Paediatric Health Centres
The Chief Executive Officer will provide strategic leadership and direction to CCHF in fulfilling the organization’s commitment to providing the highest level of financial support to the organization and its 13 Canadian hospital foundation members, advancing children’s health across Canada.
- Designs and implements the overall organization strategy to ensure annual and long terms goals are achieved.
- Grows the current fundraising revenue stream of approximately $55 million through effective stewardship of existing partnerships and by strengthening business development strategies and implementing aggressive plans to engage partners through innovative fundraising approaches.
- Nurtures and maintains a robust working relationship with the executive leadership of the 13 Children’s Hospital Foundations in Canada.
- Develops and manages revenue and operational budgets and plans for review and approval by the Board.
- Designs and builds the organizational infrastructure to provide accurate, consistent, and meaningful service to all stakeholder groups.
- Supports the Board of Directors through best practices and well-established boards and governance processes.
- Works in close partnership with Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals based in Salt Lake City, Utah, to ensure strategic alignment and commitment to longstanding CMN partnerships and promotes close collaboration.
- Leads a team of professionals to meet the goals of the organization through efficient management, coaching, and motivation. Providing a stimulating and team-focused environment for employees to strive and thrive while enriching CCHF’s relationships with its stakeholders.
- Builds on existing solid relationships with current CMN national partners while also acquiring and developing new corporate partners for the CMN program.
- Builds and fosters stellar relationships with new and existing national partners for the benefit of CCHF member hospital foundations.
- Provides strategy and assists with the development and delivery of a strong communications, marketing, and public relations plan and program.
- Provides strategy and assists with the development and delivery of a strong stewardship and partner/donor recognition plan.
- Ensures all areas of the business are developed and managed using advanced digital technology.
- Stays abreast of fundraising trends and best practices and engages with sector leaders to ensure CCHF evolves its programs and processes to be cutting-edge.
- Participates and is an active non-voting member of the CCHF Board of Directors and subsequent committees of the board.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Significant and progressive senior leadership and philanthropy experience within an organization of comparable scope and complexity, in the not-for-profit, public or private sector.
- Knowledge of and experience in healthcare and/or healthcare philanthropy is a strong asset.
- Skilled marketer who understands the strategic brand and digital marketing environments, ideally as it relates to the context of CCHF partners.
- Proven track record in identifying and leading strategic business development opportunities that deliver national and international partnerships.
- Proven ability in facilitating and developing long-term strategic plans.
- Experience as a consensus builder with demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Extensive people and team leader with experience building high-performing, collaborative, and diverse cultures.
- Strong business acumen including finance and administrative management skills with experience setting budgets, financial modeling, forecasting and reporting, and business planning.
- Knowledge of technology, social media, and digital platforms to support fundraising.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and strong knowledge of governance principles.
- Understanding of fundraising, marketing/branding, non-profit governance, and data management.
- Undergraduate degree required; relevant advanced/specialized degree an asset.
- Strong preference for a candidate with a deep understanding of retail and consumer-facing marketing, including in-store and e-commerce.
- Forward thinking, strategic, innovative visionary.
- Trusted relationship builder with the ability to quickly establish rapport and garner respect.
- Motivational and enthusiastic with high energy and a strong work ethic.
- Supportive and collaborative consensus-building style.
- Highly effective communicator and relationship builder.
- People person with the maturity to relate to a variety of personalities.
- Politically astute with an awareness and appreciation of coalition-type environments.
- Results-oriented organizational builder.
- Personal and cultural alignment with the mission, vision, and goals of CCHF including advocating for children’s health.
APPLICATION PROCESS & DEADLINE
KCI Search + Talent has been retained to conduct this search on behalf of Canada’s Children’s Hospital Foundations. For more information about this exciting opportunity, contact Tara George, Partner / Lead, or Ellie Rusonik, Vice President, KCI Search + Talent by email at: CCHFCEO@kcitalent.com
To view full Executive Brief, please visit www.kcitalent.com
All inquiries and applications will be held in strict confidence. To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to the email address listed above by March 8, 2023.
Salary range for this position is $260,000 – $300,000, plus benefits and potential bonus of up to 20%.
Canada’s Children’s Hospital Foundations (CCHF) is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees, stakeholders, and the people we serve feel valued, respected, and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our stakeholders and communities in which we live and serve. We are also committed to our mission to do what’s right for kids, so they live their healthiest, happiest, and most fulfilling lives possible.