The Association of Fundraising Professionals will host its annual National Philanthropy Day to publicly recognize the impact of fundraising professionals, nonprofit organizations, and philanthropic individuals and businesses within Golden Horseshoe area. We wish to celebrate the charitable work that makes a difference and creates a lasting impact in our community.
Nominations are now closed. Thank you to everyone who submitted a nomination before the deadline on August 15, 2023. Award recipients will be announced on September 7, 2023.
2023 Awards Categories
The following awards and honors are given to individuals or organizations whose achievements have significantly impacted the Golden Horseshoe:
Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy
In recognition of outstanding volunteerism and leadership on the part of children and youth, 5 to 24 years of age, who are involved in philanthropic activities.
Outstanding Leadership and Focus on Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access (IDEA)
Recognizes a non-profit organization within our region whose mission and focus is to support equity-seeking communities. Non-profit agencies or organizations, or special-purpose philanthropic groups (i.e. service clubs), that are committed to and empower their constituents, employees, and/or community by striving to meaningfully build a culture of inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility are eligible.
Outstanding Community Partner
In recognition of a private [charitable, family, community, or other] foundation or a special-purpose philanthropic group (i.e. service club) that has demonstrated outstanding commitment through financial support and through encouragement and motivation of others to take leadership roles toward philanthropy and local community involvement.
In recognition of an individual or family that has demonstrated outstanding community and leadership through a proven record of exceptional engagement and philanthropic support. Winners will have encouraged and motivated others to take similar leadership roles toward philanthropy at the local, national and international levels.
In recognition of a corporation or its corporate foundation that has demonstrated outstanding financial support (may include a portion of in-kind support), community involvement, and motivation of others to take leadership roles.
Outstanding Volunteer in Philanthropy x 3
Presented to an individual, couple or family who resides and supports one (or more) of the communities identified. The award recognizes the individual, couple or family for their exceptional skills in coordinating and motivating groups of donors and volunteers for fundraising projects for the benefit of non-profit organizations and a commitment to the advancement of philanthropy. NOTE: One volunteer will be honoured in each of the following geographic locations: Waterloo-Wellington Region, Hamilton-Brant-Halton Region, and the Niagara Region.
Outstanding Fundraising Professional in a Large Organization
Presented to an outstanding individual fundraising professional with a minimum of 10 years experience who is an AFP GH Chapter member and who practices his/her profession directly for a non profit organization.
Outstanding Fundraising Professional in a Small Organization
Presented to an outstanding individual fundraising professional with a minimum of 5 years experience who is an AFP GH Chapter member and who practices his/her profession directly for a nonprofit organization.
June 15, 2023 – Nominations open
August 15, 2023 – Nomination deadline (form will close)
September 7, 2023 – Ticket sales open
September 7, 2023 – Award recipients announced
September 30, 2023 – Early bird ticket deadline
October 25, 2023 – Last day to buy tickets
November 15, 2023 – 25th Annual National Philanthropy Day Awards Celebration
How to Nominate
To submit a nomination, simply complete the online nomination form.
You’ll need the following information:
- Impact Question – This is where you will write your ‘reason for nomination’ story. Tell us why you are nominating this individual or organization and what makes them outstanding. You will be asked to outline how their contributions have impacted your organization (i.e. why they are deserving of the award). This will be used in the printed program.
- Nominee Quote – Provide a small 60 word quote from your nominee so we can highlight, in their words, why they do what they do.
- Nominee Contact Information – You will be required to provide contact details for your award nominee as they might be contacted by the NPD committee.
- Nominator Information – Please provide contact details for the main point of contact within your organization for your nomination(s).
- Photos – Photos are not able to be submitted at the application stage Should your application be chosen, you will be required to submit 1-5 photos for our use at the event.
- The deadline for nominations is August 15, 2023 and everything must be in by that date.
- If you are missing any components of your nomination information, they can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com but must be submitted before the deadline.
What to Know Before Submitting a Nomination
- The online form does not allow for saving – you need to have all of your information ready when you start the nomination form.
- Identify those individuals, groups, and businesses that have been instrumental to the success of your organization. Consider nominating an individual, group or business from a diverse community.
- Organizations can submit up to 5 nominations each.
- Contact each potential nominee to notify them about National Philanthropy Day and the nomination.
- Inform your nominee(s) that you have chosen them to receive this award and share your nomination submission with them to ensure they know the information prior to the event. Ensure they understand they have “won” and will be awarded.
- Request their consent to put their name forward.
- Provide your nominee(s) with the event information – date, time, ticket info (they might want to purchase additional tickets for their family, friends, colleagues to attend).
- For group nominations, confirm who will be their contact person for any communication related to the event.
- Stories should be written in the 3rd person – ex: “The Children’s Health Society would like to recognize” vs. “I/we would like to recognize”
- Check that organizations’ names are spelled correctly. It is ok to use acronyms/ abbreviations as long as the name is spelled out in full the first time it is written ex: General Children’s Hospital of Toronto → GCHT
- Remove any “nomination lingo” – since everyone is receiving an award, stories should indicate that they are “deserving of the award “as opposed to “being considered for an award”.
- Remove any slang
- Edit your nomination – check for grammar and spelling mistakes
- Use Canadian spelling – ex: labour vs. labor
- Capitalize names of events, runs and programs – ex: Southern Credit Union’s Walk for the Cure; Diabetes Walk
After Submitting Your Nomination
- You will receive an email confirming that we received your nomination(s) – CHECK YOUR SPAM. If you have any concerns email firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com.
- Remind your nominee(s) of the celebration date: November 15, 2023 at 11:00am.
- Purchase tickets – Determine who will be attending; how many tickets you will need for both your organization and your nominees.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
National Philanthropy Day is an event that publicly recognizes the impact of service and philanthropy within the Golden Horseshoe are. Each year, we honour donors, volunteers, professionals, and organizations whose gifts of time, expertise, and resources contribute significantly to the quality of life in our communities.
National Philanthropy Day is November 15, 2023.
Any current or prospective member of the AFP Golden Horseshoe Chapter, or any other individual involved in the philanthropic sector within the AFP Golden Horseshoe Chapter's geographic scope may submit a nomination for this award, including the AFP Golden Horseshoe Awards Selection Committee and Chapter Board. The individual or organization in question must be notified and in agreement with the nomination process before the application is submitted.
An individual working within the philanthropic sector, or an individual member of AFP Golden Horseshoe Chapter, or the Awards Selection Committee or the AFP Golden Horseshoe Chapter Board may submit a nomination for this award. The nominated organization must be notified and in agreement with the nomination process before the application is submitted.
Nominations must be submitted online no later than August 15, 2023.
Nominations must be submitted online, and must completed all at once (no saving your progress). Make sure you have all of the information you need before starting.
An awards committee of AFP Golden Horseshoe members will score each application to identify the award and honoree recipients in each category. Please keep in mind, that the selection committee does not know these nominees. Their decisions are based entirely on the materials you submit, so refer to the award criteria to guide the narrative for your nomination. If in the judgment of the AFP Golden Horseshoe Chapter Awards Committee, no nominee meets the criteria for a particular category, no award will be given for that category.
Award recipients and honorees, and their nominator(s), will be notified on or before September 7, 2023. Regret notices will also be sent.
Please submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, Chair of AFP Golden Horseshoe Chapter Awards Committee.
We will use a photo in the program and any additional photos in the video presentation during the awards ceremony. Please provide a headshot/photo in the submission package.
Yes, we allow photos (and any other missing information) to be added to a nomination after you submit. However, the nomination must be completed in full by July 31, 2023 as that date is related to our collateral and video publishers cut off date.
Anybody is welcome to join the NPD planning committee. Just send us an email at email@example.com!
As fun as that might be, we do not recommend it. In order for your nominee to plan their day, and because we will be promoting their name in print and digital media, we require permission/consent.