Second Harvest is Canada’s largest food rescue organization and an expert in perishable food recovery. Every year we are expanding our network to include more farms, manufacturers, distributors and retailers. We work with hundreds of businesses across the food supply chain, reducing the amount of edible food going to waste, which in turn stops millions of pounds of greenhouse gasses from damaging our environment.
The food Second Harvest recovers is redirected to social service organizations and schools, ensuring people have access to the good food they need to be healthy and strong. Second Harvest is a global thought leader and continually innovates processes and shares methods, to create a better future for everyone.
In 2018, Second Harvest published the thought-provoking research paper, “The avoidable crisis of food waste: the roadmap”, including goals for 2019 and beyond, with Value Chain Management International Inc. The results of this critical ground-breaking research can be found here: www.SecondHarvest.ca/Research.
The Vice President, Philanthropy and Communications is responsible for the creation, leadership, and implementation of all development programs and the communications efforts to support all revenue generating programs in support of Second Harvest. Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, and overseeing a team of 18, the Vice President, Philanthropy and Communications, will drive the revenue generating efforts, encompassing aspirational and annual performance goals for all development programs including communications, brand strategy and marketing execution for Second Harvest.
- Seven to 10+ years of demonstrated success building integrated development programs (annual, major and planned giving programs), including sponsorship and signature events
- Minimum seven years of experience in the non-profit sector in a senior position with responsibilities for communications and marketing programs to support development efforts; preferably in a management position
- Experience creating, monitoring and managing Annual Development Plans
- Knowledge and sincere interest in food security and the environment
- Strong understanding of social media, online platforms, advertising, graphic design, print, video and digital content production processes
- Experience securing in-kind support and stewarding in-kind donors
- Exceptional communications and interpersonal skills
- Able to recruit, train, and manage volunteers to help secure transformational and leadership gifts
- Strong executive presence; polished speaker with both a large and small audience
- Demonstrated experience growing organizations through philanthropy and communications
- Excellent time management, organization and planning skills; as well as ability to think out-of-the-box, adapt quickly and adopt new ideas
- Ability to lead a team in a fast-paced environment, troubleshoot, think creatively and solve problems
- Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes and a results-oriented culture
- Must be able to leave ego at the door and work with a wide variety of people collaboratively and respectfully
- Access to a reliable vehicle and Class G-Driver’s License
- Professional designation: CFRE and/or APR
- University degree or college diploma in fundraising, communications and/or marketing
- Ongoing professional development courses
Questions about the position? Contact Heidi Stock at Heidi@crawfordconnect.com or call 416-930-9732/ 1.866.647.5149.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest in confidence. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.